• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

SkyPup

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
North FLorida
<span style="font-weight: bold">Major KUDOS to TNVC and Company</span>, the brown truck delivered this nice thermal instrument today, a FLIR T-50.

So far I am running it on one rifle behind an Eotech 552NV and 3X Eotech Magnifier, but will be using it on a variety of rifle combinations.

Surprised at how light weight it is and how nice it functions. It was a cinch to co-witness the Eotech with the internal reticules inside the FLIR.

Will be out looking for song dogs tonight after dark!

T50%20Front.jpg

T50%20SIG%20Left.jpg

T50%20SIG%20Right.jpg

Backyard Game Cam tree @ 175 yards looking directly into the setting sun:

175%20Yard%20Tree.jpg

Re: FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Here is the 175 yard game cam tree at night:

175%20Yard%20Tree%20Night%20White.jpg

Here is the inverse:

175%20Yard%20Tree%20Night%20Inverse.jpg

This thing is so freakin' kewl it even picked up Dr. Who landing in the Tardis!
laugh.gif

Here is a day pic for reference:

Decoy%20Long%20Range.jpg

Is the reticle displayed, the internal T50 reticle or from the Eotech? Would love to see more action pics. Does the T50 have a digital zoom? I think it is a 320x160. I have a FLIR M18 640x320 which is amazing, with a 4x zoom, but it is a handheld unit only.
Here is a crummy pic from my deck on a pitch black night T 1x
[img:left]
d429fb31.jpg
[/img]

It has a 320×240 VO Microbolometer that is uncooled.

Yes, it has a real nice set of internal reticules.

The red you see is the Eotech 552NV reticule, the the straight lines are one of the four internal reticules the T-50 has.

Those photos are of both reticules on at the same time.

It was super simple to co-witness the FLIR to the Eotech so now when I remove one or the other, I can rezero to exact bullseye. I plan on using this thermal on a variety of rifles, so this is just one of my setups...

It also has a beautiful 2X & 4X digital zoom that works awesome.

Nice pic from your porch from the M18!

I am curious as to how the T50 will work with higher magnification scopes, especially as you increase magnification, given that the processor is 320x160. I hope you can test and report on that. Will this unit work as a stand alone hand held device, like my M18? Thanks

So far I have only used it with an Eotech 3X magnifier and it works excellent, even using the 2X internal digital magnification for a total of 6X was okay for precise shot placement out to the maximum lethal range of my 556.

I am going to put it in front of a Leopold VXR 1-4X-20mm Pig Plex scope this weekend but I think 4X would be about the maximum magnification that would still give a clear image.

The microbolometer is 320X240.

It works excellent as a hand held device too. It also has an NTSC 30fps video output for capturing video.

It does NOT have a vis or IR laser, however I have either a DBAL-I2 or DBAL-D2 (when I get mine) on two of my rifles so my buddies with their NVOs on their helmets can easily see what I am targeting.

T50%20FrontB.jpg

This FLIR T-50 thermal sure has been an instant game changer, it does not get much better than this!
grin.gif

Only had it three days now and already took out four night coyotes up to 225 yards with one shot each.

This dog took a Barnes 70 grain TSX through the shoulder @ 190 yards at 10PM right where I was aiming. He came in to Cotton Tail Duet.

The Eotech and 3X Magnifier is just perfect for this clip-on thermal.

T50%20Coyote%20NV.jpg

T50%20Coyotr%20Light.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This FLIR T-50 thermal sure has been an instant game changer, it does not get much better than this!
grin.gif

Only had it three days now and already took out four night coyotes up to 225 yards with one shot each.

This dog took a Barnes 70 grain TSX through the shoulder @ 190 yards at 10PM right where I was aiming. He came in to Cotton Tail Duet.

The Eotech and 3X Magnifier is just perfect for this clip-on thermal.

T50%20Coyote%20NV.jpg

T50%20Coyotr%20Light.jpg
</div></div>

Some good shootin' right there. Thanks for the show and tell!

Vic

Wow! Great shooting! 225 yards on a yote with thermal is not a easy feat.

that is a great shot. What distances are you getting good tgt identification at using the current set up. Can it be mounted in front of an optics, IE-aimpoint, T-1, ACOG. And if you do not mind, what is the price range?

Thx

This was a particularly exciting hunt that had the adrenaline going strong for about 45 minutes.

I first called this dog in using Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster and he came right in about twenty feet from my Jack Attack decoy but I was on top of a ridge and all I could see was his head popping up in front of me about 60 feet in front of me. I had his head in my sight two or three times and then my wife walked up from behind me to tell me she was going shopping and he took off….he circled the dry prairie pond in front of me and went deep into the tall dog-fennels so I could not see him. He came out of the fennels trotting across my view twice but each time I held off waiting for him to stop for a lethal shot.

I called him back in again using Pup Distress and had a nice shot at him straight in front of me about 75 yards and squeezed the trigger slowly and CLICK -> no shell in the chamber. Chambered a round and he took off into the distant tree line.

I went back into the house to get my A-Alpha helmet and PVS-14 on and as soon as I walked off the carport I could see two distinct dark contrasted shapes out to my game cam about 250 yards. I slowly snuck down to my log stand setup and looked through the FLIR T-50 Thermal and saw two nice dogs @ 175 yards in front of me beside the game cam tree munching on some wild boar offal I had dumped there last weekend.

For some reason, one dog took off and went into the tree line and I lost him, but this one walked on over behind the game cam and stopped @ 185-190 yard behind my game cam (game cam tree is laser measured 175 yards), I put the crosshairs on him and he dropped. When he did, the other one came charging out of the woods and hightailed it across my view.

The whole hunt took about 45 minutes and I just wish I had the micro Digital Video Recorder hooked up to the FLIR thermal because I would have had some fantastic recording of this hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is a great shot. What distances are you getting good tgt identification at using the current set up. Can it be mounted in front of an optics, IE-aimpoint, T-1, ACOG. And if you do not mind, what is the price range?

Thx </div></div>

Target ID is a good 250 yards, detection is probably twice that.

It can be mounted in front of almost any optic, and ACOG is specifically designed to be used with it. I tried it in front of a Leopold VX-R 1-4X-20mm and it worked great up to 4x, but I specifically like the Eotech and 3X Mag very much, it is super nice and precise. Also it is designed well to clear a IR laser mounted on the front rail @ 90 degrees.

I have my DBAL-I2 there and on my other rifle I will have a DBAL-D2 when I get that from backorder maybe sometime next month?

You can get one from Vic @ TNVC:

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/flir-advanced-combat-thermosight-t50/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km2006dmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of recoil will it handle? </div></div>

There are four different internal reticules that you can utilize, one of them is a machine gun ballistic reticule for a .50 caliber Browning Machine Gun.
smile.gif

I don't believe that recoil is going to be a problem.....

I have a 35 year old Ruger #1 7mm Mag with a picitanny rail on it and am going to try the T-50 on it as my nite-hog sniper rifle shooting handloaded 165 grain Sierra GameKings about 2,900fps, should be very interesting as nothing has ever walked away from this rifle.....
blush.gif

There are NO recoil issues on any platforms with the T-50 including 300wm, 338's etc.

All calibers have <span style="text-decoration: underline">FACTORY </span>FLIR warranty, no unknowns here. :)

Vic

I can personally attest that anything between you and 200+ yards is toast if you do your part, day or night, unless you forget to put a round in the chamber....DOH!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can personally attest that anything between you and 200+ yards is toast if you do your part, day or night, unless you forget to put a round in the chamber....DOH!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
blush.gif
</div></div>

As Pat Rogers always says in times like this..."Learning has Occurred."
grin.gif

Here is a two minute 5MB WMV video I made tonight with the FLIR T-50 of a sounder group that was in a pond surrounded by a tall stand of dog fennels and weeds, I had to wait patiently for two hours to get a good shot.

Thank God for my ThermaCell as the skeets were trying to eat me alive.

Took out one of the sows with a hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX from my SIG 556 using the Eotech 552 and 3X Magnifier @ 80 yards,

The 325 pound sow goes down with the first shot and stays down, but I shot her once more for insurance since she was in two feet of muck. I was up to my knees in mud hooking up the tow line from the ATV to get her out of there.

The FLIR T-50 that Vic from TNVC sold me is a solid instrument the definitely <span style="font-weight: bold">brings home da bacon</span>....
grin.gif

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/Dead%20Hog%20WEB2.wmv

I could have easily nailed a half dozen of those hogs had I been in <span style="font-weight: bold">ZOMBIE</span> mode but it was plenty for me to handle that large sow alone in the knee deep muck.

I just barely was able to two her out of there with the 4WD ATV to process. The freezer to totally full again to so will have to give away some hams, loins, shoulders, etc. before I take down anymore swine.

The thermal makes it super easy for follow up shots in pitch darkness as nothing escapes your view, multiple kills are not a problem.

Will be watching the gut pile for coyotes this week if the mosquitoes don't bleed me dry....
shocked.gif

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/DBAL%20D2/T60%20Hog.wmv

Rolled a large hog with a lung shot @ 150 yards tonight through the FLIR T-50 Thermal, he ran off looking pretty good so will go out looking for him in the morning....

I sighted in my new ACOG TA02 LED 4X32 with the visible green laser earlier this evening, so will print some paper with it tomorrow too.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Hog%20Down.wmv

Just got back from dragging him out of the woods with the ATV, he made it almost 200 yards or so through the woods before he was exsanguinated.

I was looking through an ACOG TA02 LED lighted reticule 4X32 behind the thermal and had the thermal internal reticules turned off, so I was seeing the same thing as the video except for 4X larger through the crosshairs.

I finished targeting the new ACOG this morning, five rounds through the 1 inch bullseye @ 100 yards. It was shooting about 2 inches high and 2 inches to the left prior to targeting it in today so I probably was off that amount or a little more on the hog last night as I had only co-witnessed the ACOG using the visible green laser when I got it last night via UPS.

It is <span style="font-weight: bold">ON TARGET NOW</span>!
grin.gif

Thanks for the great footage. I have used some thermal units and nothing else compares to good thermal gear.

Nice Sow and eleven piglets showed up again tonight but let them go for now as I am after a nicer boar hog:

Sow%20&%20Piglets.jpg

Sow%20&%20Piglets3.jpg

Was out hog hunting tonight on my stand in the backyard and three nice boars were about 75 yards out from me and I was about to pull the trigger on them when I saw another thermal register in the far off distance and lo and behold it was a lone coyote sneaking in.
shocked.gif

I first picked up the coyote and recognized it as a coyote @ 350 yards and waited until it came in for about two minutes with the hogs rooting up in front of me.

Let the coyote have a Barnes 70 grain TSX at 200 yards and knocked him down, he got back up and shot him down for good.

The hogs all let out a good squeal and headed out to the swamp.

The ACOG 4X32 TA02 and FLIR thermal is a really sweet night hunting setup, very pleased with the performance of the thermal instrument and the ACOG optic!
smile.gif

Here is a 7.5MB WMV video of the coyote kill:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/ACOG%20TO2/Thermal%20Coyote%20Web.wmv

Coyote%20Head%20ACOG.jpg

Me%20&%20Coyote.jpg

The Thermal was RIGHT ON the money every time I pulled the trigger.

The coyote was on the rim of the forest canopy behind my game cam tree, the game cam tree is a laser measured 175 yards, my buddy who was with me said he was another 50 yards behind the game cam tree.

We both walked out there and he took the photo of me holding the coyote about 35 pounds or so. The 'yote was an easy 25-50 yards BEHIND the game cam tree.

Just a totally awesome night hunting setup out to a verified 200 yards, I am totally confident when I pull the trigger....

I was using my hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX bullets since that is what I am using on the hogs, the hogs will certainly be back and did not shot one since the freezer is still full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Thermal was RIGHT ON the money every time I pulled the trigger.

The coyote was on the rim of the forest canopy behind my game cam tree, the game cam tree is a laser measured 175 yards, my buddy who was with me said he was another 50 yards behind the game cam tree.

We both walked out there and he took the photo of me holding the coyote about 35 pounds or so. The 'yote was an easy 25-50 yards BEHIND the game cam tree.

Just a totally awesome night hunting setup out to a verified 200 yards, I am totally confident when I pull the trigger....

I was using my hand-loaded Barnes 70 grain TSX bullets since that is what I am using on the hogs, the hogs will certainly be back and did not shot one since the freezer is still full. </div></div>

That is a great vid you took of the downing of that Yote! Good shootin'

Thanks Vic, I am always trying to thin the vermin out, wish I had more time to have my rifles with me as I see about ten times more than I actually shoot on my property.

I try to scratch out as many deer killing song dogs as I can, whenever I can.

Now that we have the contract on 28,000 acres of infested state land, we will be putting the NV and Thermal gear to good use, so expect to see lots more kill videos later on this year once we get going.

As always, thanks again for providing such outstanding instrumentation to us civvies....
wink.gif

Here is the view through the ACOG, it had just rained so not much thermal differentiation out tonight, the photo just does not do this beautiful optic justice:

ACOG%20FLIR%20Sight.jpg

Thermal%20Coyote.jpg

Got the ACOG TA02 LED 4X-32mm matched up to the T-50 now. It is a perfect match at 4X and shoots like a laser in pitch dark. The combo of the T-50 and ACOG is very lightweight and quick to use, even better than the Eotech since I have astigmatism.

Flir%20T50%20Left2.jpg

SIG%20556%20Flir%20T50%20Right.jpg

SIG%20556%20Flit%20T50%20Left.jpg

Flir%20T50%20Left.jpg

SIG%20556%20Flir%20T50%20Front.jpg

ACTS-Features8.jpg

Nice, you shoot better than I do in the daylight!!!. I still have pulled the trigger on the thermal yet......still thinking about the T50 vs the T60. What type do DVR and cable do you use for your videos? Where did you get it and how much are they? Thanks?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, you shoot better than I do in the daylight!!!. I still have pulled the trigger on the thermal yet......still thinking about the T50 vs the T60. What type do DVR and cable do you use for your videos? Where did you get it and how much are they? Thanks? </div></div>

I am using the V-8 mini DVR,it is the only totally waterproof one I know of:

http://www.dty.com.cn/products_1.asp?menuid=35&id=128

If you don't need waterproof, this one is the other one that I have:

http://ragecams.com/shop/mini-thermal-im...a7cda8b086c5065

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have pulled the trigger on the thermal yet......still thinking about the T50 vs the T60.</div></div>

Time's a wasting, best make your educated move and make the best of it, just think of all the hogs and coyotes you could have had if you had it now!
shocked.gif

I have not experienced any POI shift using Eotechs with 3X Magnifier, 4X ACOGs, or Leopold VX-R 1-4X Pig Plex scope, they were all right on the money.

The quality of the thermal view through both of the FLIRs is pretty much the same from 1X to 4X, although HTR stated that he was able to use the T-60 up to 6X without any deterioration in the view quality.

4X is plenty good enough for me in my hunting situations out to 225 yards with either FLIR thermal optic, they both work real nice and are ready to use two seconds after you turn them on.

The T-50's 3-CR123 batteries last twice as long as the 4-CR-123s in the T-60.

<span style="font-weight: bold">DO NOT</span> use rechargeable CR123s in these units. The CR123 rechargeables put out 3.6 volts each compared to the normal Li-Ion batteries 3.0 volts.

Got a 10% off coupon from Optics Planet so ordered a nice Trijicon RMR 3.5 MOA Red Dot LED (RM01) to put on top for close ups. Both the T-50 & T-60 already have an integrated mount for this red dot.

Steve Johnson at the FireArm Blog had a nice pic of a FN MK 46 with a FLIR T-50 mounted on it that he got to shoot full auto!

FN%20MK%20FLIR%20T50%20AUTO.jpg

The FLIRs have a built in mount for the Trijicon RMR red dot sights, so I installed the 3 MOA LED RM01 model for CQB:

FLIR%20T50%20Trijicon%20RMR%20Right.jpg

Trijicon%20RMR%20Sight%20View.jpg

The RMR Red Dot works way better than I had anticipated!

I have the 720nm IR Filter on the objective lens of the PVS-14 hanging over my left eye off my helmet and can see the NV environment real well and with my right eye I can simultaneously see a nice red dot that looks like a visible laser but isn't! Makes for a really great situational awareness with the NV and using my dark adapted eye to the RMR Red Dot!

Looking through the RMR with the PVS-14 with the 720nm IR filter on I cannot see the dot at all, but taking the filter off I get a good blooming green dot that blooms about the same as my 0.7mW IR laser does out of the DBAL-D2 without the IR Illuminator on. In other words, it is not too good through the PVS-14 NV as it blooms a little too much.

But using it with my dark adapted eye it works real good and real fast.

Pretty neat, I was not expecting this to be able to be used at night at all...

Saw this on the firearm blog this morning. Very VERY nice setup. I'm a big fan of FLIR gear. I've got a scout that does well for me for the moment. A front mounted thermal like that is still on my wishlist though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RMR Red Dot works way better than I had anticipated!

I have the 720nm IR Filter on the objective lens of the PVS-14 hanging over my left eye off my helmet and can see the NV environment real well and with my right eye I can simultaneously see a nice red dot that looks like a visible laser but isn't! Makes for a really great situational awareness with the NV and using my dark adapted eye to the RMR Red Dot!

Looking through the RMR with the PVS-14 with the 720nm IR filter on I cannot see the dot at all, but taking the filter off I get a good blooming green dot that blooms about the same as my 0.7mW IR laser does out of the DBAL-D2 without the IR Illuminator on. In other words, it is not too good through the PVS-14 NV as it blooms a little too much.

But using it with my dark adapted eye it works real good and real fast.

Pretty neat, I was not expecting this to be able to be used at night at all... </div></div>

The Trijicon RM06 can be user adjusted for brightness on the LED red dot. The lowest 2 settings are for use with night vision, will not bloom your i^2 night vision, and are invisible to unaided eyes. There is also a mode that will automatically adapt the brightness of the LED red dot for optimum visibility as the amount of ambient light changes. The LED red dot can be turned off or left on all the time - the battery will run the LED for a couple years when left continuously on.

When viewed with night vision, as long as the focus on the night vision is set at 10 feet or greater, the projected dot from the RM06 will appear sharp and clear. The dot is 3.25 MOA.

IR-V

That RMR06 is nice, I got RMR01 to make sure that it was ON all the time and I did not have to mess with any adjustments, ready to use at any time.

T-50%20Folded%20Stock.jpg

T-50%20Folded%20Stock%20LT.jpg

Hmmm, the Swiss Military SIG-500 is using a new S-B Thermal Scope with an Eotech Holosight on top for their latest "Infanterist der Zukunft" (future infantryman) Land Warrior Program....

z_a968f45c.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That RMR06 is nice, I got RMR01 to make sure that it was ON all the time and I did not have to mess with any adjustments, ready to use at any time.</div></div>

The RM06 can be left "ON" all the time as well, and with the red dot automatically compensating in brightness in response to ambient light conditions. One battery change every couple of years is not much to ask maintenance wise.

Re: RM01 and like models, there are twilight conditions at dawn and dusk, and [for the urban environment] transition zones between light and dark, where the tritium + [passive] fiber optic illumination sources do not provide optimal contrast for the aiming dot. That was a complaint from Law Enforcement that Trijicon addressed with the RMR06.

The RM06 was also developed to give compatibility with night vision as is found in the Aimpoint and Eotech electronic sights. A couple quick taps of the finger puts the RM06 into night vision compatible mode. A quick pinch of the thumb and forefinger instantly restores it to auto adjust mode. It's quick to acquire if you need it, and transparent like it is not there if you don't need it.

Thermal imaging is outstanding for target detection (provided you aren't observing through silica glass, or in extremely hot environs or conditions that are wet and windy); but i^2 is still superior for target identification [and navigation] in the dark. If you need to fall back on your RM01 in dark conditions, you'll need your i^2 night vision to be able to identify the target for red dot placement, otherwise it will appear just as a red dot (or amber dot, depending on model) floating in a sea of darkness. Without a night vision compatible mode, the RM01 blooming your NV optics will cause difficulty acquiring distant targets with precision. In my opinion, the RM06 resolves these problems without taking anything away from what was optimal with the fiber optic + tritium powered models.

Complements to you on your FLIR T-50 + rifle + "dayscope" integration. It is, for sure, a spectacular equipment package - and you take outstanding photographs!

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IR-V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That RMR06 is nice, I got RMR01 to make sure that it was ON all the time and I did not have to mess with any adjustments, ready to use at any time.</div></div>

The RM06 can be left "ON" all the time as well, and with the red dot automatically compensating in brightness in response to ambient light conditions. One battery change every couple of years is not much to ask maintenance wise.

Re: RM01 and like models, there are twilight conditions at dawn and dusk, and [for the urban environment] transition zones between light and dark, where the tritium + [passive] fiber optic illumination sources do not provide optimal contrast for the aiming dot. That was a complaint from Law Enforcement that Trijicon addressed with the RMR06.

The RM06 was also developed to give compatibility with night vision as is found in the Aimpoint and Eotech electronic sights. A couple quick taps of the finger puts the RM06 into night vision compatible mode. A quick pinch of the thumb and forefinger instantly restores it to auto adjust mode. It's quick to acquire if you need it, and transparent like it is not there if you don't need it.

Thermal imaging is outstanding for target detection (provided you aren't observing through silica glass, or in extremely hot environs or conditions that are wet and windy); but i^2 is still superior for target identification [and navigation] in the dark. If you need to fall back on your RM01 in dark conditions, you'll need your i^2 night vision to be able to identify the target for red dot placement, otherwise it will appear just as a red dot (or amber dot, depending on model) floating in a sea of darkness. Without a night vision compatible mode, the RM01 blooming your NV optics will cause difficulty acquiring distant targets with precision. In my opinion, the RM06 resolves these problems without taking anything away from what was optimal with the fiber optic + tritium powered models.

Complements to you on your FLIR T-50 + rifle + "dayscope" integration. It is, for sure, a spectacular equipment package - and you take outstanding photographs!

IR-V
</div></div>

Great post as always IR-V, good to see your type around here. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, the Swiss Military SIG-500 is using a new S-B Thermal Scope with an Eotech Holosight on top for their latest "Infanterist der Zukunft" (future infantryman) Land Warrior Program....

<SNIP></div></div>

Some serious height over bore with that EO.

Vic