• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Floating caps on the SWFA SS HD 5-20 x 50

targaflorio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
I tried this in the field yesterday by unscrewing the single screw in the middle of the turret, but the cap didn't feel like it was going to slide out so I could turn it without changing zero.
Any advice?

Re: Floating caps on the SWFA SS HD 5-20 x 50

I don't understand? Why would you do this and what advise are you seeking?

Remove that screw. Pull up, hard as you need to, you can't hurt anything; the turret will come off. Realign so that "0" is where it needs to be and push back down, might take a little twist left/right (like half click distance) to get the splines inside to line up, push down til seated all the way and replace screw.

are you trying to reset the turret after zeroing? If so, you need to follow the direction that came with it, and call SWFA for help since they are the ones who designed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remove that screw. Pull up, hard as you need to, you can't hurt anything; the turret will come off. Realign so that "0" is where it needs to be and push back down, might take a little twist left/right (like half click distance) to get the splines inside to line up, push down til seated all the way and replace screw. </div></div>Thanks, that is what I expected to have to do, but didn't want to be the first.

Yes, the question was after zeroing the rifle, how do I reset the turrets to read zero without changing the elevation or windage settings. On my Nightforce, I just unscrew the tension screws, slide the turret about 1/8th inch and twist it. Oh yeah, now about that zero stop...

As much as I like SWFA SS scopes, I sure wish they came with manuals. Even a 1-page quick start would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, that is what I expected to have to do, but didn't want to be the first.

Yes, the question was after zeroing the rifle, how do I reset the turrets to read zero without changing the elevation or windage settings. On my Nightforce, I just unscrew the tension screws, slide the turret about 1/8th inch and twist it. Oh yeah, now about that zero stop... </div></div>

This is no built in Zero stop on the 5-20SWFA

Yea i had no problem adjusting my turrets after zeroing the scope. Might have to pull a bit harder but they come straight off, all the way. If the hex screw is out you wont break it.

Mine pulled right off... though I did somehow wind up throwing mine off by a ton while adjusting.
frown.gif