• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Florida fixing to get pounded again

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
Damn between the hurricanes from the south or the east or the clowns from the north or south. Its getting old pretty fast these days.
Weather channel calling for a storm surge of 10-15 ft in the big bend area. Thats a bunch for sure. Hopefully everyone has pulled the oun and got the hell out of the area.
I love the big bend area for sure. Love fishing, spearfishing just the whole area itself. Time slows down when over there.
Be safe for the folks that are in the area. Gonna be a cat 1 in my area sometime tomorrow but not the surge coming with it

a power/phone/comp loss inland here is for sure. rain bands just starting to come and go. mild wind SO FAR! keys will get it like always. and yea it has been drier than usual. just like the sky water to just get spread out a bit,not 6" in 2 days.

Fortunately, our son’s home is no where near where the storm is going to hit. Still, Port St. Joe, just rebuilt their marina, and we wanted so bad to find a place we liked in Carabelle. Depending on the track, Carabelle might get a direct hit. Or, best guess be on the “safe” side of the storm. (Safe in a hurricane is a relative term, technically there is No Safe). Guess we will ride out the storm in our little cottage in North Louisiana. Just got here this evening, from, you guessed it, the Florida Panhandle. (Had to be back anyway, got an appointment Friday.).

Rode out Typhoon Hyster in 1971, when it came ashore at Chu Lai. Hurricanes are serious shit. Saw full sized sheets of tin, flying straight through the air, like giant knives, cutting in half, anything they came across. We had done a bunch of work, helping fortify our former team site at LZ Chippewa. Flew out to Chippewa a couple days later and it was a mess.

funny side to all this story. Hyster was predicted to make landfall far to the south. She, like most females was a bit fickle. Hit Chu Lai square away. Place was a mess. We got soaked in our hootch but it withstood the opening blast. When the eye passed, we were outside doing everything we could to reinforce the hootch. We had ropes everywhere, staked to the ground. The fellows in the next hootch stood out and laughed at us. The eye moved on the the winds in the eyewall were as strong as ever. When the storm was over, our hootch was up damaged. Their hootch was a pile of timber scattered about the ground. Read, Leveled.

Last edited:
Reactions: DustBun and lash
GOES16-GM-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.gif

looking to be ugly from naples to pensicola and tampa in the middle.
Tracking maps and computer models show Idalia to be far to the east of Pensacola.

And, the forecast is becoming fairly accurate.

Now, the caveat of this, one computer model shows Idalia making a 270 degree turn once it enters the Atlantic, crossing over Florida Peninsula and re-entering the Gulf. The Eastern Gulf will be somewhat dead to a hurricane due to the warm water being depleted by the first passage of Idalia. However, the Western Gulf should have plenty of deep, warm water. Saving grace, at present, a strong cold weather front is pushing out of the Rockies / Wyoming 48 hours from now. By the time Idaila finishes this turn and moves into the Gulf, this front should push it well to the south. Not great for Mexico but may protect the US.

A6E0D7A0-1176-4610-A113-9BD07CFE4D87.jpeg
2BACA6AC-B246-4F3A-B48D-BF964025B364.jpeg
0788B7E6-EB6A-4A4B-95D0-A74DA037925F.gif

Reactions: lash
I'm on the east coast of Florida and had bans if wind and rain when it was due west of me at 6pm. 1 band dropped an inch of rain in about 20 minutes and the wind got up to 29mph.

Fortunately, our son’s home is no where near where the storm is going to hit. Still, Port St. Joe, just rebuilt their marina, and we wanted so bad to find a place we liked in Carabelle. Depending on the track, Carabelle might get a direct hit. Or, best guess be on the “safe” side of the storm. (Safe in a hurricane is a relative term, technically there is No Safe). Guess we will ride out the storm in our little cottage in North Louisiana. Just got here this evening, from, you guessed it, the Florida Panhandle. (Had to be back anyway, got an appointment Friday.).

Rode out Typhoon Hyster in 1971, when it came ashore at Chu Lai. Hurricanes are serious shit. Saw full sized sheets of tin, flying straight through the air, like giant knives, cutting in half, anything they came across. We had done a bunch of work, helping fortify our former team site at LZ Chippewa. Flew out to Chippewa a couple days later and it was a mess.

funny side to all this story. Hyster was predicted to make landfall far to the south. She, like most females was a bit fickle. Hit Chu Lai square away. Place was a mess. We got soaked in our hootch but it withstood the opening blast. When the eye passed, we were outside doing everything we could to reinforce the hootch. We had ropes everywhere, staked to the ground. The fellows in the next hootch stood out and laughed at us. The eye moved on the the winds in the eyewall were as strong as ever. When the storm was over, our hootch was up damaged. Their hootch was a pile of timber scattered about the ground. Read, Leveled.
spent a quarter of my life in FLA working on boats; been all over from Palm Beach All the keys to Carabelle. The keys were cool in the 80s as well as Lauderdale. Carabelle was the coolest of all, spent a year there in the 90s running a boat for Mel Fisher and it was back woods fucking cool. Would not care to see it all again. I am sure it has changed beyond recognition. I wish them luck and glad its not me having to deal with that shit.
Met Travis Magee in Cedar Key. Stienhatchee sp? was way back woods.

Last edited:
Its gonna hit way north of naples. Water shallower and warmer for the most part. 20 miles offshore about 20-25 ft deep or so. The weather channel calling for 10-15’ storm surge.
Hell a few years ago was just a pop up afternoon normal storm there were 4’ swells at seahag marina bout. 1 mile up steinhatchee river. 7 boats coming rilled in that 30-45 min storm.

I'm on the east coast of Florida and had bans if wind and rain when it was due west of me at 6pm. 1 band dropped an inch of rain in about 20 minutes and the wind got up to 29mph.

Driving home around five when the first band hit. Pretty intense for a few minutes. Like a Central American rainstorm.

I’m in the north Tampa area, looks to me like we escaped again. Poor folks north get hammered… wondering about this thing turning after passing FL and getting the east coast…

spent a quarter of my life in FLA working on boats; been all over from Palm Beach All the keys to Carabelle. The keys were cool in the 80s as well as Lauderdale. Carabelle was the coolest of all, spent a year there in the 90s running a boat for Mel Fisher and it was back woods fucking cool. Would not care to see it all again. I am sure it has changed beyond recognition. I wish them luck and glad its not me having to deal with that shit.
My Uncle has a place in Lanark and a slip at the Marina there, hasn’t changed much. They still have the phone booth for the police office.

Last edited:
we have an office in tampa. was shutting down servers this morning. look like they were spared the worst so far.

don't want to jinx myself but am 20m sw of gainesville,no pain yet. don't think that's gonna last. the night has a ways to go and cedar key is a target as usual. evac orders for coastal levy been out awhile. looks like jax will get it so ups,usps will be trashed for > a week or more.

I’m in the north Tampa area, looks to me like we escaped again. Poor folks north get hammered… wondering about this thing turning after passing FL and getting the east coast…
Also looking at that. Subject to loop around and hammer centersl east coast

Reactions: Schütze and lash
About 30 fuel stations in central Florida received fuel with diesel in it recently. Supposedly the pumps in question where locked this morning.
Seen the ag commissioner on tv yesterdsy. Appears it was pretty wide spread stations. Most wont be affected for evacuating from what i seen. Lots down near plantcity orlando area.
Hopefully cassleton Dont get some of that shitty gas😂😀

• Haha
don't want to jinx myself but am 20m sw of gainesville,no pain yet. don't think that's gonna last. the night has a ways to go and cedar key is a target as usual. evac orders for coastal levy been out awhile. looks like jax will get it so ups,usps will be trashed for > a week or more.
What part sw of gville??

Also looking at that. Subject to loop around and hammer centersl east coast
Was in Daytona last June with my sister, the coast (beach) was still severely damaged from the last hurricane. The one that hit south west FL first.

Seen the ag commissioner on tv yesterdsy. Appears it was pretty wide spread stations. Most wont be affected for evacuating from what i seen. Lots down near plantcity orlando area.
He will be just fine with his diesel truck, that thing eats everything..

Reactions: DustBun
Was in Daytona last June with my sister, the coast (beach) was still severely damaged from the last hurricane. The one that hit south west FL first.
I hear ya. I am also a firn believer in letting mother nature take that shai back over. You buy oceanfront property and have a home destroyed 1 time. After that done. Get you some shit somewhere else.

Nope. Didn't buy any. I filled my DEEZEL up at the shell station just up the road.
Thankfully we were aware of it early, and those stations were avoided simply due to their distance from the house.

no we have to cover the insurance costs with higher rates so the upper class can rebuild their waterfront mansions with no loss.

Nope. Didn't buy any. I filled my DEEZEL up at the shell station just up the road.
Thankfully we were aware of it early, and those stations were avoided simply due to their distance from the house.
I knew you couldnt stand this shit buddy and would chime in.
For those of you that dont know cassleton had the only black boat with black registration numbers on it in the whole of Florida and zero fucks given. His truck doesnt run on gas or diesel fuel but runs on tears of tampa liberals. Need to drag my ass down your was and send some rounds down range

We winter in Port Richey in Pasco county. Our park is about a 1/4 mile from the Gulf. A couple of old folks living in a park model rv refusing to evacuate as ordered. I don't want to see anyone drown in the surge but if it happens to them after all their warnings to leave, I won't cry at their funeral.

I knew you couldnt stand this shit buddy and would chime in.
For those of you that dont know cassleton had the only black boat with black registration numbers on it in the whole of Florida and zero fucks given. His truck doesnt run on gas or diesel fuel but runs on tears of tampa liberals. Need to drag my ass down your was and send some rounds down range

You know you're welcome over on our coast, and the shooting invite is always open.

Just got a text from Dan and I'm thinking we could have run that Tailfisher right down Bayshore Blvd.

The cop is most likely standing on Howard.

IMG_20230830_080414.jpg

I hear ya. I am also a firn believer in letting mother nature take that shai back over. You buy oceanfront property and have a home destroyed 1 time. After that done. Get you some shit somewhere else.
This!!! The whole bullshit that allows all the rich mfers to build or rebuild using middle class taxpayer dollars and then to subsidize their insurance costs was a travesty from the beginning.
no we have to cover the insurance costs with higher rates so the upper class can rebuild their waterfront mansions with no loss.
Sold to the Florida public as a necessary cost to make sure we can actually get insurance. It’s always, Always about the money.

Met Travis Magee in Cedar Key. Stienhatchee sp? was way back woods.
Was in Carabelle just before Michael hit in 2020. It was still very small town. A couple nice marina’s as it was always the jumping off spot to cross over to Stenihachee for folks doing the Great Loop. Nothing like the Destin/Pensacola Beach areas, which are now all but circus sideshows, with every possible tourististy stuffing x 10. Navarre Beach is a lot like Pensacola Beach was in 1990. But even Navarre Beach is becoming crowded on the weekends.

In places like Freeport / Hammock Bay, homes are being built in the hundreds if not thousands. Vacant land in the middle of no where brings at least $10,000 an acre in 50 to 100 acre tracks. Smaller lots of 5 to 10 acres bring 20, 30 or even 50 thousand an acre. Junk homes around where our son lives approach the cost and value of our nice little lake cottage in North Louisiana. (And even here, lot prices are approaching or exceeding 100K).

I can’t imagine a cat 5 hitting Destin in late summer. Wonder if the folks would bother to even leave Crab Island just because a 25 foot storm surge with 50 foot waves on top of the surge, powered by winds of 180 to 200 mph.

Was in Carabelle just before Michael hit in 2020. It was still very small town. A couple nice marina’s as it was always the jumping off spot to cross over to Stenihachee for folks doing the Great Loop. Nothing like the Destin/Pensacola Beach areas, which are now all but circus sideshows, with every possible tourististy stuffing x 10. Navarre Beach is a lot like Pensacola Beach was in 1990. But even Navarre Beach is becoming crowded on the weekends.

In places like Freeport / Hammock Bay, homes are being built in the hundreds if not thousands. Vacant land in the middle of no where brings at least $10,000 an acre in 50 to 100 acre tracks. Smaller lots of 5 to 10 acres bring 20, 30 or even 50 thousand an acre. Junk homes around where our son lives approach the cost and value of our nice little lake cottage in North Louisiana. (And even here, lot prices are approaching or exceeding 100K).

I can’t imagine a cat 5 hitting Destin in late summer. Wonder if the folks would bother to even leave Crab Island just because a 25 foot storm surge with 50 foot waves on top of the surge, powered by winds of 180 to 200 mph.
That’s in part what makes Big Bend great, corporate box stuff hasn’t messed it up, also attracts a different vacationers to the area. Panama beaches through Pensacola thanks but will pass.

So far it has been pretty uneventful in the Ocala area. The plant is closed but will open again tomorrow.

If I can help any Hide members affected, please PM me. I can be there Friday and the weekend to help.

Read the 3 little Pigs and take notes.

If you do it right, you don’t need insurance.
Yes and no. My parents are in Sarasota in a block home, with hip roof, 100% peel and stick underlayment on the roof, all necessary storm shutters and hurricane windows and doors. Yet last year, Ian pounded their roof for almost 48 hours straight with 100 mph plus driven rain at a horizontal frontal attack.

They only lost a couple dozen full shingles and had some soffit damage. The full peel and stick underlayment keep them dry, but their 10 year old premium shingles had almost no granules left to deflect the sun. The replacement roofing was just finished this past Saturday.

Point being, at some point there’s a reasonable limit to building a structure that will withstand everything every time. Blanket general statements, though maybe well meaning, rarely hold up to all cases.

Last edited:

I was offered a chance to buy lots in Hammock Bay before they broke ground. 80K - 100K depending on location. Passed. Bought five acres in Mossy head to sit on.

I lived in FWB when Opal hit in 95. When our betters allowed property owners back into Destin, we drove over to check a rental we owned and a friend's condo. As a CAT 3 making landfall 40 miles to the west, I cannot imagine Destin existing today if a CAT 5 struck.

They would leave Crab Island when the storm arrived. During one storm, a drunk tried to travel from FWB to Destin (or maybe the other way). Storm surge washed out the dunes and breached HWY 98, as usual, washing him into the bay. He managed to find a piece of floating debris and survived eight hours before someone rescued him.

Yes and no. My parents are in Sarasota in a block home, with hip roof, 100% peel and stick underpayment on the roof, all necessary storm shutters and hurricane windows and doors. Yet last year, Ian pounded their roof for almost 48 hours straight with 100 mph plus driven rain at a horizontal frontal attack.

They only lost a couple dozen full shingles and had some soffit damage. The full peel and stick underpayment keep them dry, but their 10 year old premium shingles had almost no granules left to deflect the sun. The replacement roofing was just finished this past Saturday.

Point being, at some point there’s a reasonable limit to building a structure that will withstand everything every time. Blanket general statements, though maybe well meaning, rarely hold up to all cases.

Man says "hurricane proof' and God laughs.

Yes and no. My parents are in Sarasota in a block home, with hip roof, 100% peel and stick underpayment on the roof, all necessary storm shutters and hurricane windows and doors. Yet last year, Ian pounded their roof for almost 48 hours straight with 100 mph plus driven rain at a horizontal frontal attack.

They only lost a couple dozen full shingles and had some soffit damage. The full peel and stick underpayment keep them dry, but their 10 year old premium shingles had almost no granules left to deflect the sun. The replacement roofing was just finished this past Saturday.

If the home is not financed. Over time pocketing the money you would pay the INS company can work out in your favor.

Peel and stick is good stuff!

Avoid Financing avoid INS, built smart build strong.

If the home is not financed. Over time pocketing the money you would pay the INS company can work out in your favor.

Peel and stick is good stuff!

Avoid Financing avoid INS, built smart build strong.
That’s actually true.

Yes and no. My parents are in Sarasota in a block home, with hip roof, 100% peel and stick underlayment on the roof, all necessary storm shutters and hurricane windows and doors. Yet last year, Ian pounded their roof for almost 48 hours straight with 100 mph plus driven rain at a horizontal frontal attack.

They only lost a couple dozen full shingles and had some soffit damage. The full peel and stick underlayment keep them dry, but their 10 year old premium shingles had almost no granules left to deflect the sun. The replacement roofing was just finished this past Saturday.

My dad lives in Port Charlotte, but is sitting in a hospital in Sarasota right now after having a double bypass and valve replaced yesterday. Step-mother was planning on staying in a hotel there again tonight, but she's heading home later. Hotel doubled the rate.

Capitalism, I get it. She doesn't. UAW retiree, and all that entails. :(

looks like levy is OK except cedar key and yankeetown. both smashed i hear. always wanted to check out the big bend area. never been north of perry on gulf coast. have passed on that based on what i'm hearing about the huge over development going on there at mexico,keaton,destin. have watched all that for 74 of my 76 yrs at gulf beaches,anna maria,bradenton et al. the keys are a no go due to same. used to be my favorite place. way different from the 70s last time i was there.