• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Florida Precision Rifle Class 5-6 Nov 2011 CLOSED

J.Boyette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2003
    NC
    l204326305.png

Trace Armory Group is conducting a level 1 Precision Rifle Class in the panhandle of Florida on 5-6 Nov 2011. This course will be held at the <span style="font-weight: bold">JSTRIC</span> training compound and will be a two day and one night training event. This will not be a cookie cutter precision rifle class. This opportunity will be a great class for you all. We will have the range for two days and one night for a very intensive course with blocks of instruction that will take you from proper setup of the rifle, to target engagements out to 600yds and night fire to test your optic’s ability. This setup will be an all-inclusive event. Once on site, you will not leave to go to the hotel or anything like that. This keeps the training intense and of the highest quality. My instructors will be with you the whole way. Even in down time we will be onsite to help out with any questions that come to mind.

6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">When:</span> 5-6 Nov 2001
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Where:</span> JSTRIC training compound
    17668 NE Flatwoods Road
    Altha, Florida 32421

<span style="font-weight: bold">MAP</span>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/doecpXzYVvw&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/doecpXzYVvw&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Instructors:</span> John Boyette and DMack from the hide!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cost:</span> $775 per-student with a minimum of 5 students, a maximum student count of 12. a 10% discount applies for military and law enforcement. Half deposit is required to lock in your slot. Trace Armory Group <span style="font-weight: bold">Shopping Cart</span> This cost includes the following:
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Tuition for training will include 4 hours classroom and 20 hours of range time <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">(2 full days and 1 night)</span></span>[*] Lodging, in a 4 man cabin <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">(we only plan on doing 2 students per cabin)</span></span> for two nights, Fri night the 4th and Sat night the 5th [*] 3 hot meals on Saturday and Sunday at the training compound in the dining facility. These meals will be catered by a local restaurant that specializes in southern food. [/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Round count:</span> 250rnds

<span style="font-weight: bold">Equipment for training:</span>
    short action chambered rifle capable of 11/2" groups @ 100yds
    Easily adjustable scope "no reflex scopes" / Aimpoint / EO-Tech's ACOG's OK!
    Bi-pod or a backpack to shoot off of
    Leather or nylon sling, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">If you do not have a sling we recommend Blue Force Vickers</span></span>
    Rear Bag
    Cleaning gear for rifle
    Pen, pencil, highlighter, and black marker
    A notebook or rifle data book and Mil-Dot Master
    Calculator
    Eye and ear protection
    Long sleeved shirts and long pants
    Durable footwear
    Camel-back or other water system
    Leather gloves
    Rucksack or backpack to carry all gear

<span style="font-weight: bold">Time lines for training:</span>
    Check in:
    4 Nov 2011 from 3pm until midnight handouts will be given for layout of the facility, your room location, classroom and dining hall.
    Training timelines:
    0630 – 0745 classroom
    0800 - 0830 breakfast
    0845 - 1100 range time
    1115 - 1200 classroom time
    1215 – 1245 Lunch
    1300 – 1745 range time
    1745 – 2000 dinner / personal time
    2030 – 2115 classroom for night fire
    2130 – 0001 night fire
    Day 2
    0700 – 0745 classroom
    0800 - 0830 breakfast
    0845 - 1100 range time
    1115 - 1200 classroom time
    1215 – 1245 Lunch
    1300 – 1745 range time
    1745 – UTC dinner / certificate handouts / end of training

<span style="font-weight: bold">Syllabus for training:</span>
    classroom.png

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Introduction of instructors[*]Fundamentals of Precision Rifle Marksmanship[*]Precision Rifle Handling Techniques with a sling[*]Coaching Techniques [*] Day Scope, Zeroing, Reading and Setting of Turrets[*] Day Scope Basic Reticle Usage[*] Night Scope target identification and techniques of rifle fire[*] Ballistics:
    Internal Ballistics, External Ballistics Weather and Other Effects, Terminal Ballistics, basic and advanced use of Ballistic Charts[*] Introduction to advanced rifle fire, target in defilade, sliding scale engagement, flash mil[/list]

SDC10768-1.jpg

Refunds and cancellations:
    Can be found on our website: <span style="font-weight: bold">Trace Armory Group</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Side notes:</span>
    No alcohol drinks will be allowed on site, or any kind if illegal activities of any kind. We will have LEO taking the class, and most likely my good LEO friends will be helping me during this class. If any issues come up will handle them with no refund of your fee’s if you are found at fault. Do to the timeline for training; we have no room for going out on the town and partying it up. We expect you to come and train, and train hard.

If you have any questions please ask.

John

Re: Florida Precision Rifle Class 5-6 Nov 2011

John,

I am good to go for this.

~ Darren

well, their we have it, the other instructor is Darren aka DMack!!!!

John

Hey John...I've shot at this place and it's an awesome facility. I hope to figure out my schedule soon and if it permits then I'm in.

Guys,

Here are three AAR's from a 1 day class I just did. This would be representative of the first day of the above class.

Keep in mind, this class in FL will be two days and 1 night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This was a great class. DPRC has a great range for this kind of training. There were five students. Three with bolt guns and two with AR-15 platforms. John started with a range safety briefing. From there we has a discussion of Mil Dot and MOA. John provided an excellent handout that had examples of the stages of trajectory. We discussed the use of a Mil Dot Master and a Rifle Data Book.

Before the actual shooting began John addressed the correct body position for shooting prone. Almost all of our shooting was done from the prone position. Targets were set up at 100 yards and each student shot five rounds individually while the other students observed. John continued to critique the correct body position. Students were asked to call their shots and this information was noted in the rifle data sheet. After all of the student shot we all went down range, noted what scope adjustments, if any, needed to be made. Targets were pasted and we went back to the firing line to shoot five more rounds. All adjustments were noted on the rifle data sheet.

At this point all of the students started firing five round groups together rather than individually. Once all of rifles were zeroed at 100 yards we shot at 200 yards using the 100 yard Point of Aim (POA) to see just how much of a drop there was. Scopes were adjusted again for a 200 yard zero with all of the adjustments being noted on the rifle data sheet. Once again we went down range to look at the groups to see if any additional adjustments needed to be made. Once everyone was on at 200 yards, John set up a steel target at 200 yards and let everyone use his AR-10 to shoot the steel.

From there we went out to 300 yards and repeated the process. Adjustments were made and noted on the rifle data sheets. Once everyone was on at 300 yards John moved the steel back near the 300 yard line and we were asked to find the steel and take three shots at it. The steel was not as easy to see, as the paper targets, at that distance but everyone managed to hit it using their own weapons.

It was now 4:00 and I had to leave the class early so that was it for me. I can't comment on what additional training that John gave but I think things were starting to wind down. I can say the total round count was approximately 75 but this was not a carbine class so I didn't expect to fire hundreds of rounds. This class was excellent and everyone was experienced so we moved at a good pace. John covered a lot of valuable information for a one day class. I would definitely recommend this class to anyone who wants to improve their rifle shoting skills. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I attended Johns basic course today.

First impression - very well laid out and taught by an individual
    with more knowledge than I could wrap my brain around in one day
    (although that may be a product of jarhead-ness right?) haha...

I'm not sure how far in depth I should go due to his course curriculum
    being just that, a private curriculum, but John made sure everyone in
    the class was fallowing along and wasn't lost within the material. He also covered a VERY broad range of topics in a well thought out course.

Everything from assesing a proper prone position, use of a databook (which I now see how much I need one), shooting slung, barracades, establishing and confirming dope, ect...ect..

He took guys who appeared to have shown up with bone stock carbines with little experience from the prone position and had them shooting with the proper position and mentality very fast.

In short - money well spent in my eyes.

John, thanks to you and the folks at www.dprc.org (awesome facility by the way) for hosting this. I am without a doubt going to be hopping on your intermediate course as soon as I get everything you tought us today sorted out.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I attended this class as the beginner... Most of the topics I had no hands on experience with. John took his time to explain why and how each idea was applied, and took the time to answer questions until things sunk in.

I had a great time, and learned how to shoot off a bipod properly. How to get into prone position repeatably. How the proper prone position brings the rifle back on target without much interaction. This is probably the biggest thing I took away from the class, as without the ability to follow through it is hard to put the rifle back in the same spot.

We learned how to use a rifle data book. This class will save more money in ammo than the cost of the class this year on account every shot is recorded, verified, and thought about.

We learned to keep the same hold and how to a cheek weld to the stock, the same way every time. I learned that with a sling I have to change my cheek weld as eye relief goes out the window. I also learned that my scope rings are to tall.

I learned that my rifle needs to be bedded and the barrel free floated. I saw that the 5th shot in a string was a flier, every time out of an ambient temp barrel. I shot the same number of rounds from 8-5 that I normally would have in a 2 hour time at the range plinking.

We learned that heavy rifles have their place. That scopes with mil-dots probably should have mil-adjustment knobs... So that what you measure at 300+ yards with the scope is the same as what you dial on. BDC scopes leave a fair bit to be desired in figuring range without a laser range finder. We also learned about mechanical offset, and canted scope bases and rings... and why they work.

Then we learned about turret caps, their use, and what this means to those of us who have never used anything but a hunting rifle scope and a penny.

We learned how to use a Mildot master, which I had never heard about before. Then I learned to appreciate it.

I learned about how to bore sight a rifle, without a laser. To sight in at 100 yards and hit paper, the first time. We learned how to calculate out bullet drop at 100, 200, 300 yards on paper, and also in the real world without tables and data pages.

We learned how to take that bullet drop measure, and calculate the number of clicks, moa's, mil's, or leagues and make changes to our scopes to bring the point of aim and point of impact to the same spot.

Then we learned how to do it with no math... and without walking back to the target. (Given scope power, quality and ability to see that far! Black stickers and white stickers are good.)

We learned about hitting targets you can't see behind berm, and dialing in our bullet drop. This was mind blowing, as you know the bullet flies in an arc... but I never connected that it went that much higher above point of aim.

We spent a bit of time talking about barricades and how to use them. This is where breathing control was interesting, I forgot to breath which after a few shots makes it hard to hold anything steady!

Until this class, I could hit steel out to 300 just dialing on elevation as a hornady book had to say for my 7.62x54r... but other than plinking I didn't know why or how the bullet got there.

I'll take another one of John's classes. With what I learned in this class, I won't be shooting moment of a football!

Zach </div></div>

If anyone wants to talk to a student that has taken a PR class from me, send me a PM and I will get you in contact with them and you can hear it from other students.

I had a SH member come and take a PR class last week and he went from 1 MOA groups to smaller then .5 MOA in half a day.

Its worth it guys!

John

Guys,

I had some questions about this class.

The main 3 question's are framed around:
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]I am a new shooter [*]limited range at my home range [*]Never been to a training class[/list]

All of these groups is the market of students I want to train at this event. I want YOU to get a great footing under you, and progress forward with skill and train correctly at your home range.

This is not Advanced, Sniper, tactical what ever course. This class is a basic PR class. IF you talk to or read some of my students words from other Basic PR classes <span style="font-weight: bold">SH Link</span> / <span style="font-weight: bold">SC Link</span> you will see one major comment. I teach a subject until YOU understand it. Then I have you apply it to the situation at hand.

Guys, I only need 5 students to make this a go. find any other professional company that will come over 700miles and teach for this rate, provide all we are providing, with this low of a student count 5-12 students.

I hope to have a class of new in-experienced shooters, so we can mold them correctly and get that path paved right the first time.

John

First two slots filled, we only need 3 more to make this happen. Please let me know guys.

John

JB,

I will be back in the office on Monday. I will give you a call, and get the logistics set up. I hope this class goes, it will be an awesome class, and prime oportunity to teach and be taught.

v/r

Darren

Darren,

It will be a BLAST. We and the students will have a great time.

John

Why did you guys have to post this? Hell why did I have to read it. I just may have to come out for this. Only problem is that I have a 3-day match out here on 10/21 and I'n not sure I can take all that time off.

Guys, please hold me a slot for at least 24hrs...I may be able to make it.

I have never even heard about this place and I live in Tallahassee. If I had the money I would participate but not this year. Will there be a chance of this happening next year?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Coker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Will there be a chance of this happening next year? </div></div>

Honestly, I plan on it. BUT for the range, it will be up to them. I know there are students in the area to come, I need to find them and get this going. That will dictate if I can hold training in 2012 in this location, by me producing students.

John

John,
    I'll be shooting with Dmack tomorrow (Sunday) and will speak to him about this class however I'd like to hear your thoughts as well...

I'm probably a bit beyond an entry level class. I hold a Navy "Expert" rifle badge but with the exception of a few online classes here on the hide I'm largely self-taught and have never taken a precision rifle class. My long range skills are pretty well honed and I rarely miss a week shooting to 850 in what are typically poor conditions. I have 3 precision rigs with a 4th on the way and I can shoot sub-minute with all of them at 850 including my autos. All that said my question is...

Do you think this may be a waste of time for me in the context that I should wait for a more advanced class?

I'm only asking because I'd hate to take up a spot that someone else may benefit from.

My thoughts are that it doesn't much matter...regardless of where you are you can always learn something new and you may even learn something new from a rookie.

Secondly you mentioned "2 days" and "shooting" in the same sentence which is like hot chiks on a stick so I'm leaning heavily towards signing up.

Your thoughts?

BattleAxe,
    My reply is directed to you, but fits all students of all types of levels.

No matter what class you take, no matter what professional company teaches it, you will learn some good stuff each time you take a class from basic to advanced training. For you, this would not be an experience to gain DOPE since you have that. But I feel this course would let you learn new techniques in self diagnosis in your shooting ability moving forward. Also I know that with Darren and I, we bring different techniques in teaching due to our own unique styles both of us have developed over the years. This will benefit you and others from our experience in allowing you to engage targets with precise rifle fire.

Think about it, and let us know. Also if you want to call me, my phone is always on.

Thanks for the question.

John

Thanks for the reply John. I actually spoke with Darren earlier this AM and you can count me in. It will be well worth it since you guys will be doing some things I don't often get to do such as night fire. As I said earlier all you have to say is "two days and guns" I'll be there with bells on
    cool.gif
    I look forward to meeting.

So who all is going to this so far? It would be great to shoot with some fellow Hiders.

I read here mostly, but am interested in this class. What is the most basic, economical gear you would consider up to par for this class? I already have a Rem 700 in 308, but what about ammo, bags, optics, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teneyedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read here mostly, but am interested in this class. What is the most basic, economical gear you would consider up to par for this class? I already have a Rem 700 in 308, but what about ammo, bags, optics, etc. </div></div>

teneyedoc,

what a great question.

This would be my list of basic gear to bring.

<span style="font-weight: bold">rifle:</span> A 1 MOA rifle, ar-15, ar-10 style, Rem 700, savage 10 and so on.
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Optic:</span> Super Sniper 10x. Any optic with 20 moa or 6 mil above your 100yd ZERO with a unit of measure reticle and target type turrets or the ability to hold off with the reticle.
    <span style="font-weight: bold">rear bag</span> a boot sock filled with airsoft pellets.
    <span style="font-weight: bold">ammo</span> lowest grade would be Ga Arms <span style="font-weight: bold">STANDARD TARGET & MATCH LOADS</span>
    <span style="font-weight: bold">data book</span> download these <span style="font-weight: bold">link</span> for a basic book
    a bag to carry all your gear from the cabin, to the classroom, to the range.
    a water system you can use.
    gloves that will protect your hands but thin enough to feel your way around the rifle, "nothing fancy".
    A mil-dot master "you will need it"

That should be the basic list.

Keep in mind, we are not running a show off your coolest flavor gear course. We are doing a precision rifle class. Bring what you have, you will learn with the equipment that you own.

I do offer the following gear from my company.

southwest ammunition
    storm tactical data books

at a great rate. So if you would like info on them, let me know and I will send you my price list. ITS CHEAP!!!

John

This class is actually a <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> good deal when you factor in lodging and 6 squares.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teneyedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read here mostly, but am interested in this class. What is the most basic, economical gear you would consider up to par for this class? I already have a Rem 700 in 308, but what about ammo, bags, optics, etc. </div></div>

teneydoc,
    If there's something you don't have and are trying to keep costs down, let me know and I may have some extra kit to loan you for the class.

Guys,

Just got in my dealer pricing for Southwest Ammunition. If you need factory ammo for training. Let me know, I got some smoking deals on .223, & .308
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]$609 half tuition and 250rnds of 77grn SMK's .223rem[*]$690 half tuition and 260rnds of 175grn SMK's .308win[*]$995 full tuition and 250rnds of 77grn SMK's .223rem[*]$1075 full tuition and 260rnds of 175grn SMK's .308win[/list]

The shopping cart is all ready setup.

John

Thanks, Battle. Awesome of you. I'm working up the funds right now. I'll let you know.

Guys,

I got 4 students signed up!!!

We need 1 more!!

To lock in your slot I need half deposit and the other half the day of training.

Let me know, and if you have ANY questions at all, I am here or on my phone.

John

Sure would love to get to this course, but timing is killing me. Having to drop $1500 in my wifes mouth for root canals this month. Will stay on the lookout for the next one, hopefully a little closer as well.
    Eric

Guys,

Things are moving some. Please call or PM me with any questions you might have ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cserv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> hopefully a little closer as well.
    Eric </div></div>

Got a range?

Thats the key to all of this.

I can only train at the right locations.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teneyedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made things work, I'm in! </div></div>

Good deal!!!!

got your order sir.

Let me know if you want the ammo sent to you, or to the range.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teneyedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made things work, I'm in! </div></div>

Sweet! Let me know if you need anything. Things I have extra of are...

*Backpack with hydration system
    *Rear bags
    *Gloves that work well for precision work
    *Optic (maybe not the best thing to borrow since the point of the class (partly) is to learn to dope your own rig)

See you there.

Guys,

I am a bout to do a group buy on these for you all

http://www.stormtactical.com/sniperkits.htm

The one listed <span style="font-weight: bold">- NEW PRODUCT SALE -
    Storm Tactical '70 LBPaper' COIL BOUND Sniper Kit
    </span>

For $45 with no shipping charges and I will deliver them the day of the class.

Let me know if you want one.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teneyedoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made things work, I'm in! </div></div>

Sweet! Let me know if you need anything. Things I have extra of are...

*Backpack with hydration system
    *Rear bags
    *Gloves that work well for precision work
    *Optic (maybe not the best thing to borrow since the point of the class (partly) is to learn to dope your own rig)

See you there. </div></div>

Will do, I think I"m mostly good to go, I'll be buying my own scope/rings/base. I'll let you know if there is someting I'm unable to get. Thanks, and see you there.

BattleAxe,

sorry, been working like mad at my full time gig.

YES we are at 6. So we are 100% a go at this time.

John

Guys,

we still have slots open, this class is a go. If you are near the FL line in GA, AL this is a great class to take.

John

ALLCON:

I will have my PWS MK214 at this class... and will give anyone that wants to, and opportunity to run this rifle. I'm looking forward to this greatly. Weather should be fantastic!

Guys,

The registration will close on 28 Oct. So if you want to come, contact me.

We have 6 people, and room for 6 more, I would like to pick up 2 more, so Darren and I can have 4 students per instructor.

Let me know, oh ammo ordered guys, for the ones that asked for it.

John

Class closed guys.

The students we have signed up are GOOD TO GO see you in two weeks

John

well we are less then 24 hrs away.

I got the rental car, and will load it tonight, to head down south.

This is going to be a GREAT class. so for you all that signed up, get ready for a fun time on the rage the next two days and nights.

We have some cool night fire drills setup for you all, and the soild training you expect from Trace Armory Group.

John

Cant wait to get there. I got a house full of in-laws so the timing couldn't be better.

04010, on the road now.

John

What a great weekend this was. Awesome class... lots of learning done.

Great working with you JB...

This class was simply OUTSTANDING!

I’ve trained/evaluated hundreds of military instructors and had 50 working for me at any one time and John is one of a select few that actually “gets it”. He knows exactly when it’s time to close the book and go roll in the dirt and we definitely got dirty. Some things simply cannot be learned by reading and have to be experienced to fully understand. Having DMack there to fill in the blanks was just icing on the cake.

I had a good head start in this sport over my fellow students and to see them go from that “fish in the freezer” look on day one, to seeing things click for them on day 2 was priceless, and the improvement I saw in these guys in just 2 days was simply amazing. Heck, one student had never even touched a scoped rifle before this class, yet by the end of day 2 using a borrowed rig was engaging targets at multiple distances rapid fire using only holdovers.

I didn’t take this class to learn how to shoot…I wanted to learn how to train, analyze my shooting, and better utilize data collection and it greatly exceeded my expectations. I was able to reinforce an already solid foundation and gain fresh insight on how to maximize my training and what I can get out of my reticle without touching the turrets. In that context this class was great for experienced shooters as well.

As for JSTRIC (J-Strike)…the facility was absolutely first rate and the all-inclusive nature of this place maximizes student contact time…we were even training while we ate meals or just sitting around the fire pit. I predict that this facility will rapidly become one of the premier training sites in the country and to have it within a 4.3 hr drive from me will be dangerous for my bank account.

John and Darren…Bravo Zulu guys! Very nicely done. Your approach simply works.

Fellow students…you have no idea yet of how far and fast you progressed in a mere 2 days…you guys freakin’ rocked it hard! Nice work and it was great meeting and shooting with all of you. If any of you are ever in the area and want to hook up just give me a shout.

This class was worth every cent and I'd do it again.

Dave

Thanks for the comments on the class. I wish I could've attended this year. I'm hoping that Mr. Boyette and the facility will host this again next year. And PLEASE if we could get more notice of the dates that would be outstanding.

We are already discussing holding another class again soon.

For those of you that got pics please e-mail them to the group. Thanks.

...and DMack, I want to get that nite shoot video with the Barrett from you. If it's too big to e-mail we can meet up to get it since we're practically neighbors now.