• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Flush cups in a wood stock?

TN-MadDog

Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Ooltewah, TN
I would like to install one of these multi adaper kits from Triad in a wood stock. I want to be able to have a stud for a bipod and also be able to remove the stud when shooting on a rest. It is rimfire rifle with a fairly heavy stock.

I have seen a couple of posts here showing how to install flush cups in synthetic stocks. Would the same methods work in a wood stock?

Would you drill the hole oversize and rough up the edges or would you drill it so that the threads of the cup engage the wood?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Flush cups in a wood stock?

i think its up to you. Either oversize the whoe and epoxy it in, or use the threads and the wood to your advantage. I'd use the threads and alittle wood glue or something to make sure it stayed in.

I would use the threads and some epoxy. Score High has a brown bedding kit that may give a cleaner look than using black epoxy.

If you get the Grovtec heavy duty 'cups the 9/16-18 threaded 'cups will hold plenty of weight if installed in a tapped hole without glue. I took a spare chunk of walnut and installed a cup in it and bridged a couple sawhorses to see how it would hold up. It held 90 pounds on one swivel which I figured was enough. FWIW use a .500" drill before tapping, not the standard 33/64 drill.

I didn't try the glue-in cups though. I suspect that if you do a good job of roughing up the wood and cups and degrease them adequately they'll hold your rimfire.