• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fluted barrel accuracy

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
I have heard recently that fluted barrels may not shoot as a non fluted barrel. Is there any truth to this? I ask this because I am planning to build an SDM clone, and that calls for a heavily fluted barrel. Is there any evidence to back up this claim, or should I not worry about this issue?

Re: Fluted barrel accuracy

Depends on how good a shot you are. If you are really, really good, you would not be asking the question.

I had heard this as well, so I asked 3 barrel makers this question- Broughton, Rock Creek, and I forgot the other one. All were in agreement that if done correctly, fluting would cause no decrease in accuracy. If the flutes are cut too fast however, the process can induce stress in to the barrel which would affect accuracy. (I think that is what they said). So, my advice would be to have the barrel maker do the fluting, and not your buddy with a machine shop.

I am going to be ordering the barrel from compass lake engineering, so from what I hear they should be good to go.

If you question the fluting stress...have it Cryo'ed. Frozen to about -300F then brought back up slowly. Reportedly helps reduce metal stress and make it easier to clean. Accuracy could be helped too.
Google it. Research and see if it's for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparks1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you question the fluting stress...have it Cryo'ed. Frozen to about -300F then brought back up slowly. Reportedly helps reduce metal stress and make it easier to clean. Accuracy could be helped too.
Google it. Research and see if it's for you. </div></div>
Thats what I do. If its fluted it gets Cryod

Guys on the cryo thing. Doing this after it's left the factory on a fair number of high end barrels will void your warranty. So it might be wise to check first.

That said, the large percentage of high end barrel makers stress relieve, & hand lap at several different stages in the barrel's manufacture. Including stress relieving the steel before any machining is done, after the bore's been drilled, & then again after the rifling's cut. And some also do this again post fluting.

Such varies from maker to maker, but... odds are they have a good handle on what works & what doesn't. Otherwise they'd be looking for work in another field.

I get these groups out of a SASS with a fluted barrell. I think the one stray round hit a moth
wink.gif

222-sl3.jpg