• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fluted barrel for a remington 700 in .308

Re: Fluted barrel for a remington 700 in .308

There are some barrels that come up for sale on the hide from time to time.

There's prolly one right behind you!!!

pm bugholes here on the hide, he'll hook you up.

They are real hard to find lemme tell you
smile.gif

Before you go buying barrels, do you know the difference between a barrel and a blank? (Not being an ass, just I see you have one post and that post is a fairly elementary question) Most barrels you buy are just a tube with a hole drilled through it with rifling. Some aren't even contoured on the outside. It will still need to be chambered, crowned, and threaded for your action. This will set you back another couple hundred bucks in gunsmith labor. You can buy pre-chambered barrels for Remingtons from places like Brownells and Midwayusa, or order them from manufacturers like Brux.

best of luck to you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rosie Palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's prolly one right behind you!!!

pm bugholes here on the hide, he'll hook you up. </div></div>

+1 on bugholes. His name is Greg.
Check in the commercial sales section.

If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative, you could look for an LTR pull off barrel. Those are fluted and pretty good shooters. You'll just need to have your smith make sure that the headspace is right. I just sold one for $60. I'm sure that you could find one if you hunt around.

Thanks my dad just got me my first rifle and I'm just looking to see what other people are using

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the beast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks my dad just got me my first rifle and I'm just looking to see what other people are using </div></div>

First off, welcome to the Hide. I think that you will find a wealth of excellent information here that will be able to answer just about any precision rifle question you might encounter.

Second, in locating that information, be sure to take advantage of the search features for the Hide. The Google-based engine is linked to in my sig line. It will assist you in locating descriptions/pictures of rifles that others are shooting, as well as tracking down a barrel that might meet your wants/needs if you continue down that path.

Finally, and don't take offense since I can only tell so much from your posts, but you would be well served to just shoot your rifle "as is" for a while instead of worrying about a new flutred barrel or "accessorizing" the rifle your Dad bought for you. If this is your first rifle and you don't have much experience behind the trigger of a centerfire rifle...get yourself some quality training/education so that you get started with a strong foundation in the fundamentals (like trigger manipulation, etc.)...then you can go from there in terms of putting your rifle through its paces, trying to shoot for accuracy/consistency, etc.

Again, welcome and congrats on the new rifle from your Dad. Be sure to post some details on the rifle/scope/etc. when you have time and also be sure to thank your Dad again as we should all be lucky enough to have folks in our lives who give those kinds of gifts!!
wink.gif

Thanks this is the rifle it's a Remington 700 sa with a bell and carlson a2 stock, and a nikon monarch scope.
90x107.jpg
[/img]

Nice rifle....I also vote to leave it alone and just shoot it! Flutes do have their purpose...lightening a heavy barrel....but quite honestly in many cases it's strictly for looks ( I'm guilty of this).I wouldn't drive myself nuts over this...

+1!! Nothing whatsoever wrong with that rifle as a good starter rifle.

The only thing I would probably think about doing at this point is adjusting the trigger a little (the triggers as set from the factory can leave a LOT to be desired). Other than that...fire away!

I have already lightened the trigger it's at about 1.5 or 2 lbs.
Also I know the fluting is just for looks but I was just going to look at the prices, honestly I can't afford any of that stuff now, it all went into this rifle already.

I have a new, unfired take off 26" fluted barrel off of a 700 LVSF in .308 that is currently spf but I can let you know if the deal falls through; no funds have arrived yet.

JOe

It looks to me like you have a nice rig. Instead of trying to make it "better," you should be more worried about how you're going to put more rounds down range. Not trying to muck up a deal in the making, but odds are that another Remington barrel isn't going to get you anything that you don't already have in terms of accuracy.