• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Fluting a R700 action?

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I was curious if it has been done much, if at all. Looking at some of the ultralight factory rifles out there now a days like the savage and more-so the Kimbers, and wondering if the same can be done on a R700 factory action without any ill effects on safety and strength. Im looking at rebuilding my R700 into a lighter mountain rifle. I will have LRI do some bolt and barrel fluting to reduce some weight (a lot of deep flutes) and figure this would go along with the look pretty well and make it stand out.

Thanks

Photo for attention
Savage-Lightweight-Hunter-In-Depth-Review-46-768x432.jpg

Like the strata from Riflesinc.com ?

Like a dumbass I passed on a 5lb 300 Win mag back in 95.
Could have owned it for a bit over 1k.

Yeah, kinda like that, but more of a fluting to match the bolt and barrel, instead of a re-profiling.

We have all made those mistakes.. I made a doozy.. I literally had a Marlin 336 prototype that was still in the white (no loading gate, removable magazine tube, cartridge cutout in tube for loading like a Henry, waffle top, .35Rem) it was in poor condition all around, but it was RARE! Only 2-3 known to exist. I sold it off for $600 not knowing any better.

Much like this one (https://www.morphyauctions.com/jame...be-feed-magazine-prototype-short-rifle-40377/) but in the white and in poor shape.

You will be amazed at how deep you get in a 700 that has very little resale appeal.
All rifles get sold.

You will be amazed at how deep you get in a 700 that has very little resale appeal.
All rifles get sold.
This right here. Unless the rifle has a reputable brand stamped on it that is universally seen as being a mark of quality, a trued R700 won't command a higher resale price.

Reactions: 3-0-hate
This right here. Unless the rifle has a reputable brand stamped on it that is universally seen as being a mark of quality, a trued R700 won't command a higher resale price.

I'm well aware. This is more a labor of love and of "why not?" than it is of how much can I get out of it on the back end.. I have built enough muscle cars to know that you don't ever truly get out what you put in.

Twisted barrels in Wy does action scalloping and slabbing. I’ve seen some stuff he’s done that looks nice. I think he would flute or mill it how ever you want.

Twisted barrels in Wy does action scalloping and slabbing. I’ve seen some stuff he’s done that looks nice. I think he would flute or mill it how ever you want.
Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for.. I guess I should have said "scalloping" instead of "fluting" I just want some meat taken out of the receiver for looks and maybe a slight amount of weight loss.

Had my barrel fluted by heart but have been so concerned about all the money spent at iron brigade just to mess it up.