• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing fluting barrel

Re: fluting barrel

It is possible, if you are using a button rifled barrel, there can be some stresses relieved that can affect accuracy, I would guess that it could happen with a cut rifled barrel as well, but might not be quite as likely. It also can be done without affecting accuracy at all. If I was going to do it after the fact, I would want to try and stress relieve it first. I think that can be done by freezing, heating, or harmonically (I don't think that is spelled properly or maybe even used properly, but it doesn't involve a harmonica)...

Dave

That helps since it is cut rifled. I am not a barrel maker, but I wonder if you could hand lap it after fluting to make sure it is consistent, or if you sent it back to Rock for the work to be done, maybe that would assure things?

DD

this thing is just TREMENDOUSLY heavy and need to get some weight off. I'd prefer spiral fluting too. know anyone who does it?

I have a Border barrel that was fluted new by Kampfeld--it is an absolute tack-driver and the spiral fluting did not effect accuracy in the least. Spiral fluting is the most effective way to reduce weight by fluting as the flutes are longer than straight flutes and thereby more metal removed.

I also have an MTU contour Bartlien that was heavy as a pig, so after it had been shot around 20 times I had a smith cut 5 DEEP flutes in it. I purchased the barreled action with 20 rds through it, so I have no idea how it shot beofre, but again--it is a tackdriver now.

Also, what cartidge are you using? I shaved a couple lbs by cutting the aforementioned Bartlien from 27" to 22.5" and having the deep flutes cut.

I highly recommend Kampfeld and the other smith who prefers not to have his name thrown around the interweb. If you would like his info (in MO), PM me.