• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Flutting LMT MRP barrel???

RTA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
S. Georgia
I'm wanting to flute a lmt mrp 16" barrel to lose some extra weight. Can somebody point me in the direction of a good smith that could perform the job. Is there a Hide gunsmith doing this kinda work,would like to spend the money with a site supporter? Thanks for any help guys.

Re: Flutting LMT MRP barrel???

I know ADCO does this, check out threads on AR15 with plenty of pics of them. I personally don't think they are that heavy to warrant it.

You may also consider the re profile of the barrel instead if you need to drop weight. I think on the "Rifles, barrels, etc section of the AR forum, they have the weight reduction numbers, not as much as you think.(on the MRP)

Hope that helps.

I don't have personal experience on the fluting in regards to potential accuracy issues, strength loss/gain, etc. Plenty of knowledge here and test by barrel manufacturers on it though.

Re: Flutting LMT MRP barrel???

Thanks mark5pt56 for the info. Would like to get it done and see the difference. If not happy,can always try another path.