• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fly Anglers?

Mike 556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
Northeast PA
Any fly anglers in the house? If so, what do you fish for and where is your favorite place to do it.
I'm lucky, as my wife loves to fish, so I get to do it quite often. We predominantly fish for trout. Back east we really like the upper Delaware system, out west, pretty much anywhere! The spring creeks of Paradise valley are special to us, we got married on Nelsons Sring Creek, many years ago.
Mike
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pretty much anywhere I can. I like the fight of fish not commonly caught on fly rods too. This one is on a 5wt rod. We were actually fishing for crappie and blue gill. This guy surprised me.

Attachments

• fly bass.jpg
    fly bass.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 40
Pretty much anywhere I can. I like the fight of fish not commonly caught on fly rods too. This one is on a 5wt rod. We were actually fishing for crappie and blue gill. This guy surprised me.

That's a lot of bass for a 5 wt. Well done!
Mike

I am far from one of you Orvis prostaff guys, but I am a total fishing junkie. I cannot be close to fishable waters without a rod. Most of my fly fishing is in tiny streams where I hunt and spend most of my summer. Nothing big, but always fun and beautiful, and the best time spent with my kids.

2v8sw13.jpg

206j56t.jpg

4jkmxs.jpg

2ni9v5x.jpg

2i92dl0.jpg

307mdmd.jpg

34oacmf.jpg

Fly fishing obsessed guy here. I'm located in North Georgia and I fly fish for just about everything we have access to here. I have fished native trout in the mountains, Striper and Carp in the lakes, Bass and Bream, and Redfish and Sea Trout on the coast. We have access to numerous different species and waters down here.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.19.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.18.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.20.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.18.59 PM.png

I am far from one of you Orvis prostaff guys, but I am a total fishing junkie. I cannot be close to fishable waters without a rod. Most of my fly fishing is in tiny streams where I hunt and spend most of my summer. Nothing big, but always fun and beautiful, and the best time spent with my kids.

2v8sw13.jpg

206j56t.jpg

4jkmxs.jpg

2ni9v5x.jpg

2i92dl0.jpg

307mdmd.jpg

34oacmf.jpg

The kids are awesome! The colors on the fish are amazing. The brook trout!! OMG! Kudos

Reactions: coldboremiracle
Fly fishing obsessed guy here. I'm located in North Georgia and I fly fish for just about everything we have access to here. I have fished native trout in the mountains, Striper and Carp in the lakes, Bass and Bream, and Redfish and Sea Trout on the coast. We have access to numerous different species and waters down here.

View attachment 6893341
View attachment 6893342
View attachment 6893343
View attachment 6893344

You have an abundance of species down there, but I'm really impressed with the trout! And its pretty easy to become obsessed with the quite sport!(y)
Mke

Reactions: JKFlyfish
You have an abundance of species down there, but I'm really impressed with the trout! And its pretty easy to become obsessed with the quite sport!(y)
Mke

Mike,

Ain't that the truth. We have some great trout waters down here, but other Georgia fly anglers don't want you to know that haha. By the way, that second picture in your first post is absolutely gorgeous. We don't have anything that looks like that down here. The mountains are beautiful! Fly fishing takes us to many beautiful places.

Reactions: Mike 556
That was on grand bahama,the average bonefish on grand bahama is 4 to 6 lbs with lots of fish to 8lbs and bigger...
Go to andros for the big boys
Do like the marls too lots of good fish there and the occasional permit

That was on grand bahama,the average bonefish on grand bahama is 4 to 6 lbs with lots of fish to 8lbs and bigger...
Go to andros for the big boys
Do like the marls too lots of good fish there and the occasional permit

That sounds awesome. I was trying to go to the Bahamas for the honeymoon since my Wife does fly fish, but now I think we are leaning towards Belize. If anyone has any experience fly fishing Belize, I'm all ears.

That sounds awesome. I was trying to go to the Bahamas for the honeymoon since my Wife does fly fish, but now I think we are leaning towards Belize. If anyone has any experience fly fishing Belize, I'm all ears.
JK, not Belize but right up the road.www.fishipedia.com/accommodation/paradise-lodge . My wife and I and another couple spent a week there in the early 2000s. We primarily fished for baby Tarpon on inland lakes, their connected to the ocean through Cenote's - underground caves. We fished 8 wts. and most of the tarpon where in the 8 to 20 lb. class, with a few going to 40+ pounds. Also caught snook, bonefish and permit. I didnt have any chances at a permit, but one of the anglers with us had a shot and connected. Tons of fun! The lodge was destroyed in 2007 from a hurricane, its now rebuilt and under new ownership. So I cant really comment on the present conditions. But its one of the few places you can connect on a grand slam. When I was there, the lodging, food and fishing were first class!
Mike

Here's my wife and the guide with about a 35 pounder!
image.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I miss about Washington state......is catching steelheads on a #8 Penn. Muddler Minnow with a little shrimp oil?

The only thing I miss about Washington state......is catching steelheads on a #8 Penn. Muddler Minnow with a little shrimp oil?

I'm of the opinion that, if it makes you happy, anything short of dynamite is fair game! The one thing that I have a problem with is these so called purists that are under the guise that their way is the only and right way to catch fish! Fuck them. I have a few friends that are avid bait fishermen, they enjoy the sport as much as anyone I know. We'll sit down with a beer and swap stories and have a good time, it's all good. That's the beauty part about fishing, there is no right or wrong way.
Never caught a steelhead, but imagine it would be a blast!
Mike

I'm of the opinion that, if it makes you happy, anything short of dynamite is fair game! The one thing that I have a problem with is these so called purists that are under the guise that their way is the only and right way to catch fish! Fuck them. I have a few friends that are avid bait fishermen, they enjoy the sport as much as anyone I know. We'll sit down with a beer and swap stories and have a good time, it's all good. That's the beauty part about fishing, there is no right or wrong way.
Mike

Didn’t know what a bait pole was till I moved to Arizona but you would now find some Gloomis as well as Enders rods next to my Penn in the garage. Shimono’s all around of course?

JK, not Belize but right up the road.www.fishipedia.com/accommodation/paradise-lodge . My wife and I and another couple spent a week there in the early 2000s. We primarily fished for baby Tarpon on inland lakes, their connected to the ocean through Cenote's - underground caves. We fished 8 wts. and most of the tarpon where in the 8 to 20 lb. class, with a few going to 40+ pounds. Also caught snook, bonefish and permit. I didnt have any chances at a permit, but one of the anglers with us had a shot and connected. Tons of fun! The lodge was destroyed in 2007 from a hurricane, its now rebuilt and under new ownership. So I cant really comment on the present conditions. But its one of the few places you can connect on a grand slam. When I was there, the lodging, food and fishing were first class!
Mike

Here's my wife and the guide with about a 35 pounder!
View attachment 6894824

That is an awesome Tarpon!! 35 lbs!! Did your wife land it? Congrats. What a great shadowbox to remember it with. I'd like to get one of those made someday. I am looking in that area as well, but I might have a hard time convincing my wife to go that part of Mexico with everything that's going on there now. Catching a Tarpon on the fly would certainly make the honeymoon though!

Mike
Didn’t know what a bait pole was till I moved to Arizona but you would now find some Gloomis as well as Enders rods next to my Penn in the garage. Shimono’s all around of course?

I think we forget sometimes that we're all on the same team. Most people in Georgia are bait fishermen, but there are a growing number of people intrigued by fly fishing so it is picking up steam here, especially in the Appalachian Mountains for trout. I don't mind how you catch them, as long as it's legal and you're respectful of others on the river. Just enjoy nature and the beautiful fish we have.

Never cared one way or the other, just grew up Huck Finn with a fly rod on a ranch that included 2 streams, a river and two reservoirs. Could walk 50 yards, saddle a horse, throw a Winchester lever in the scabbard and go hunting. Never knew anything but the outdoors as a kid and thankful for it?

That is an awesome Tarpon!! 35 lbs!! Did your wife land it? Congrats. What a great shadowbox to remember it with. I'd like to get one of those made someday. I am looking in that area as well, but I might have a hard time convincing my wife to go that part of Mexico with everything that's going on there now. Catching a Tarpon on the fly would certainly make the honeymoon though!
Took her about 30 minutes, no one would help, told her its all hers. she did a great job. Shes quite an accomplished angler, she often catches a lot more than me, but thats not really saying too much! :cry: Quite a memorable trip. Got a good story about a scorpion on her face! Someday when Ive got time, Ill post it.
Even back then we where told to be vigilant, lots of road bandits and thugs. Never ran into a problem, but once at the lodge, it was Paradise!
Mike

Took her about 30 minutes, no one would help, told her its all hers. she did a great job. Shes quite an accomplished angler, she often catches a lot more than me, but thats not really saying too much! :cry: Quite a memorable trip. Got a good story about a scorpion on her face! Someday when Ive got time, Ill post it.
Even back then we where told to be vigilant, lots of road bandits and thugs. Never ran into a problem, but once at the lodge, it was Paradise!
Mike

Mike,

No worries, my wife almost always out fishes me when we get out together. On our first guide trip together, we were fly fishing for Snook at night in Tampa Bay. We were casting to the enormous shadows they made in the dock lights. Voracious feeders. Here's my wife with the Snook of the trip. She caught it on a white shrimp pattern using an 8 weight with Bonefish line. Funny thing is that she's actually wearing shooting glasses because she was afraid to catch a hook in the eye at night.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.33.03 AM.png

Mike,

No worries, my wife almost always out fishes me when we get out together. On our first guide trip together, we were fly fishing for Snook at night in Tampa Bay. We were casting to the enormous shadows they made in the dock lights. Voracious feeders. Here's my wife with the Snook of the trip. She caught it on a white shrimp pattern using an 8 weight with Bonefish line. Funny thing is that she's actually wearing shooting glasses because she was afraid to catch a hook in the eye at night.

View attachment 6895004

Hey JK, you do realize we're both lucky bastards to have wives that fish! Your wifes eyes tell the whole story, shes having a blast! Kudos
Mike

I love stalking carp in the storm canals in Metairie, Louisiana. Such a shame, though, that the N.O. area is turning into such a dangerous area. They are stacked thick, as long as you don’t mind avoiding traffic with your back cast!

The redfish in the Louisiana marsh are amazing targets as well!

Attachments

• 26E3FBA2-9F20-45C8-B14D-CFFE3053C125.jpeg
    26E3FBA2-9F20-45C8-B14D-CFFE3053C125.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 30
I love stalking carp in the storm canals in Metairie, Louisiana. Such a shame, though, that the N.O. area is turning into such a dangerous area. They are stacked thick, as long as you don’t mind avoiding traffic with your back cast!

The redfish in the Louisiana marsh are amazing targets as well!

That's a lot of fish! How many lbs? What kind of rig and flys do you use ? Looks like it would be a blast.
Mike

That's a lot of fish! How many lbs? What kind of rig and flys do you use ? Looks like it would be a blast.
Mike

I typically use a 6 weight TFO Clouser, 8’9, with an Orvis Hydros reel and Rio Bonefish Quickshooter (something like that.) I also use my 8 weight setup from the Louisiana marsh when need be. That’s an Orvis Recon with the newer series of Hydros reel.

The fly is essentially just a size 6 gammy bonefish hook with a scaled down “redfish crack” fly tied by me. It works wonders on them!

Attachments

• D6951ED2-FCC2-4F88-99DC-EF32B0E5B7F7.jpeg
    D6951ED2-FCC2-4F88-99DC-EF32B0E5B7F7.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 28
I typically use a 6 weight TFO Clouser, 8’9, with an Orvis Hydros reel and Rio Bonefish Quickshooter (something like that.) I also use my 8 weight setup from the Louisiana marsh when need be. That’s an Orvis Recon with the newer series of Hydros reel.

The fly is essentially just a size 6 gammy bonefish hook with a scaled down “redfish crack” fly tied by me. It works wonders on them!
Awesome tie! You got some talent! Just got a Hydros reel last year, really like it.
Mike

Awesome tie! You got some talent! Just got a Hydros reel last year, really like it.
Mike

I really enjoy both of mine as well. I got the older Hydros for dirt cheap when they discontinued them a few years back. I got the new SL 7-8w shortly afterwards. I enjoy them both. While I’m not really a die hard orvis guy, they have a shop local to me and provide good service, so I try to keep my business local when they do some reasonable sales. Not a lot of fly shops in south Louisiana.

Thank you for the compliment. I tie a larger version of that for reds in the marsh and it is very effective. I’m all self taught via YouTube videos. I would have never learned what I know otherwise.

My two main haunts- small stream trout fishing in Western Wisconsin or SE Minnesota, and flats fishing in Ascension Bay, Mexico.

Attachments

• C5B713E6-A26B-481A-9CB4-5A9BD5BEAF45.jpeg
    C5B713E6-A26B-481A-9CB4-5A9BD5BEAF45.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 24
  • F7D68ECA-E743-44E6-8591-F6A4DF769DC5.jpeg
    F7D68ECA-E743-44E6-8591-F6A4DF769DC5.jpeg
    804.8 KB · Views: 21
  • F51A764E-CBB7-4791-B77A-79E1D28D2BE4.jpeg
    F51A764E-CBB7-4791-B77A-79E1D28D2BE4.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 18
  • BDFD46EC-2389-4744-9D6A-05D8B0436C56.jpeg
    BDFD46EC-2389-4744-9D6A-05D8B0436C56.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 19
Started off fly fishing in North Georgia, moved out to Alaska now and spend all my time spey fishing for salmon. When I'm back home I'm a trout spey guy. Nothing like catching fish on streamers!

Trout fishing sucks on the half of the state I live on, so I hit the beaches and rivers for salmon and steelhead.

336639_902462970070_310865874_o.jpg
326670_849980305750_499129_o.jpg
375368_920144181780_438567479_n.jpg
11041546_10101416023175260_6137150785735848174_o.jpg

Glad I found this thread.

Just found my old St Croix 9 weight Ive had for years and never even used. Picked up a Redington Behemoth to pair with it, and plan is to get back into fly fishing. Gonna try to chase Reds, Trout, and Snook here in NE FL and the Tampa Bay area.

Anyone else fish for the same in FL? If so, any tips?

Just getting big into it. Fished The Madison river in MT last week and had a blast catching rainbows and browns. My wife managed to pull a grand slam on her first fly trip ever that day.

Bought a Jackson Mayfly for fishing reds and specks on Calcasieu Lake in Southwest Louisiana. Will make our first trip out Saturday.

Attachments

• BD72A06D-C784-4ED1-878C-245BE5E675AD.jpeg
    BD72A06D-C784-4ED1-878C-245BE5E675AD.jpeg
    655 KB · Views: 17
Certainly don’t get to go often as I’d like to, but heading to flats at Cedar Bayou near Rockport, TX on 21st and could use some recommendations for flies for reds and trout. Normally try sight casting for tails with bass assassins, but have a 7 wt and will give it a go if the wind is manageable. Probably no more than thigh deep, clear water, some grass and oyster shell bottom. Could use any advice offered.

Best place for me I was stationed in Alaska and got to fish the Kenai River and Willow Creek.

Before this, I could only fish "artificial" environments, i.e. downstream from a damn for hatchery fish. Fishing wild trout was a blast. These are from the Sierra National Forest on a stream at 9000 feet in the mountains.
My boy and I were competing for the smallest catch..he won.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28Coav4]
[/url]

I try my hardest to catch fish, but I typically strike out. At least on the ones I want to catch. But thats why they call it "fishing" and not "catching" I guess. Here I am enjoying my time on the Boise.

Attachments

• IMG_9820.jpg
    IMG_9820.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: jd138 and Mike 556
I try my hardest to catch fish, but I typically strike out. At least on the ones I want to catch. But thats why they call it "fishing" and not "catching" I guess. Here I am enjoying my time on the Boise.
It's really not about the fishing, or catching! My buddy Rich says it best, we fish so like minded people can get together and enjoy each others company. Fish a little, drink and eat a lot, tell lies and swap stories. The actual act of catching fish is really low on the totem pole!

Huge fly fisherman, though I will use any gear available! Some days I feel like a fishing God and other days I feel like a total gaper. But regardless of the catching, just being on the water is the important part.

I live in Bend, Oregon now after growing up in the Willamette Valley, so tons of excellent trout waters everywhere along with some bass to keep it interesting. I'm another one of the lucky ones who's wife loves to fish, so we get out pretty regularly.

Attachments

• 20170726_121848.jpg
    20170726_121848.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170726_100445.jpg
    20170726_100445.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170726_082037.jpg
    20170726_082037.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170806_121335.jpg
    20170806_121335.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170815_125655.jpg
    20170815_125655.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20170804_124220.jpg
    20170804_124220.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170804_095326.jpg
    20170804_095326.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: Mike 556 and jd138
Some fine looking fish Gooldy! I hear ya, we're fishing the 7th straight week of Sulphurs on the west branch of the Delaware. Last Friday night caught a few good trout, went out Saturday, fished to rising trout for 3 hrs straight and didn't even get a refusal! It's all good, the world could of exploded in those 3 hrs. And I wouldn't have noticed! :) And we're quite lucky to have wives that fish! Heading out to the Paradise Valley spring creeks in about two weeks, my wife is always more excited than I am!

Very nice photos everyone.

Short of shooting, fly fishing (and Steelhead Spey) are my next passion. Fish primarily in CA, OR and ID. Always fun. This brown caught over 4th of July week. Then steelhead back in March.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    765.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 17