• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Fly Fishing - Fresh & Salt

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
It's been a while since fishing has struck a cord, or at least when it comes to the smaller species. We have lots of Bass in the local waterways, including fresh water striper. Thinking about what a solid rod/reel setup might look like for this type of fishing, probably mostly top water (dry?) flies. In the event of the occasional 2 trips a year that would include bay fishing for reds, specs, and flounder, what type of configuration would you go with?

7/8 weight?

Two spools: one for fresh and the other for salt? Or one for wet vs dry flies?

What rod specs?

I have been known to go overboard, so the Abel reels might fit my "wants" but perhaps not my "needs". Haven't picked up a fly rod in 15 years, and assuming things have bettered with technology, I'm completely open to recommendations on gear, places to buy, things to read, people to talk too .. whatever it is.

Looks like the best options locally are Orvis and Tailwaters here in Dallas. I'm not an Orvis fan though not sure why exactly.

I run Sage Rods and Reels these days 7wt 4piece, 2 spools wet/dry.
This rig can catch pan fish to permit and reds. Yes if I want to fish a small stream I take a 3wt and if I am offshore take a 9wt, but the 7 IMO is most versatile, if there can be only one. If you can try before you buy so you can determine what feels best for your casting style.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Scott
Thomas & Thomas
Winston

You cant go wrong with any of those. The Scott probably has the best warrant of any company I know. Dad had a Scott that he broke at least 5 times they fixed it no questions asked and when the grip was pretty much gone after 15 years of use they sent him a new rod to replace it. A great company that takes pride in making rods out of Colorado.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Here's where I'm at at this juncture:

Abel SDF 6/7 reel.

That's as far as I've made it, but it does appear this reel will work for the bass fishing round these parts. I could take it to the salt, but would need to be prepared to "flush" it with water after a weekend trip. Probably get an entirely different setup for wade fishing since I always end up dunking the reel at some point.

All my striper fishin buddy’s run 6-9 weighs depending on size of fish.
A 7 or 8 is pretty versatile fo bass, salmon, steelhead and smaller warm water salt fish lilies bonefish.

I was hoping for tarpon this spring but all this corona crap is kinda making things difficult

Have you ever seen or used Nautilus Reels ? Absolute Brick Shithouses and fully sealed Drag Mechanisms. I don't Fly/Spey fish anymore, but I have a 15 year old Nautilus Spey Reel that I use as a knucklebuster and troll with (yeah, I know, blasphemy.......). it's a complete kick in the pants. Nautilus makes some really nice stuff.

Have you ever seen or used Nautilus Reels ? Absolute Brick Shithouses and fully sealed Drag Mechanisms. I don't Fly/Spey fish anymore, but I have a 15 year old Nautilus Spey Reel that I use as a knucklebuster and troll with (yeah, I know, blasphemy.......). it's a complete kick in the pants. Nautilus makes some really nice stuff.

They’re excellent reels.

Try to snag a Redington Behemoth. I got one for ~$109 or so on eBay and it’s got a fully sealed drag (I think). I’ve got it paired with a St Croix 9 wt I got years back that I’ll hopefully get out with soon.

Ive heard lots of good things about TFO rods; if I get back into it seriously their Mangrove rod will be my next purchase.