• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fly rod help

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
I’m looking for a new fly rod I get to go fly fishing once a year in CO and a few times in farm ponds.
Do mostly small streams. Looking for a 4-5 weight. 8-9 foot .
Like to stay under $250 rod only .
I know go be poor somewhere else. Would like it to be made in the USA. No China crap.
Please help

You are not going to find a made in USA rod in that price range, at least not a modern one. You might find an old glass rod made in the US for that. Even companies like Temple Fork at that range are chinese.

Winston Kairos 5wt 8’6. $250.00 plus shipping. Made in Montana.

Attachments

• 024D5798-92CC-4902-B759-B2903D0E4C2B.jpeg
    024D5798-92CC-4902-B759-B2903D0E4C2B.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 14127EAF-C040-4ED9-8322-00888A9627F8.jpeg
    14127EAF-C040-4ED9-8322-00888A9627F8.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 34
  • A442A91C-7D32-42E6-BD6E-F43DD9E57AAD.jpeg
    A442A91C-7D32-42E6-BD6E-F43DD9E57AAD.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 38
  • F12E95C4-156A-40DB-B290-E82F055A2D82.jpeg
    F12E95C4-156A-40DB-B290-E82F055A2D82.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 42
This is what I run, both the 5 weight and 6 weight were gifts. When I get home, I’ll check for manufacturers labeling. Very good action on a budget, but they are 9’

St. Croix Rods The Imperial line is US made, just slightly above your price range, the Mojo line is made in Mexico and within your price. I've had a pair of Mojo's 5 & 9 weight for about five years now, no complaints with either, I haven't had to use their customer service, but heard they take care of their customers.
True story. My wife busted hers and sent it back. They upgraded it for another 20 bucks over shipping.

try ebay i have bought lots of good rods brand new discontinued at a third of their cost. i would try a 6 weight 9 or 9f6in if it was me.

Winston Kairos 5wt 8’6. $250.00 plus shipping. Made in Montana.
Pretty sure Winston discontinued the Kairos sometime back. Current rod offerings do not show anything less than about 1k

ETA - that said I have been using the same rods for decades so have not shopped them in a bit, my info is dated

@Softtail103
Thank you looks to be a great rod . I need to make up my mind on 4 wt or 5 wt .
Looking at the Clearwater and imperial mostly. Saw a sage foundation for $350 new

Picked up the Orvis encounter rig for around $150 a couple years back. They’re Chinese but my 4 year old likes it. Nowadays they run near $200 without any discounts or deals, but just add a fly/nymph and it’ll get you started.
Find a local fly shop and chat with whoever works there. Mine hosts a class a few times a year for folks to try out rods/waders and other stuff. I couldn’t cast a $1k Helios any better than the budget rig, so until my skills exceed the rod I’ll be roll casting for rainbow

make your own

it sounds a lot like reloading looking for you perfect round .

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc
make your own

it sounds a lot like reloading looking for you perfect round .

That it is, both of my parents are members of the Shasta/Trinity fly fishers association and have spent countless hours building nets, rods, and tying flies.

Great feeling of accomplishment when you catch a fish on one though.

@Softtail103
Thank you looks to be a great rod . I need to make up my mind on 4 wt or 5 wt .
Looking at the Clearwater and imperial mostly. Saw a sage foundation for $350 new
Bryan,
Winston is the Cadillac of fly USA made fly rods. I just paid $1195.00 for one of their Air2 rods. 4wt if you are in a smaller stream. 5wt for smaller rivers. 6wt is a great all around trout rod.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2020-five-weight-shootout/ read their stuff they are very good at reviewing rods. I use a hardy shadow 4wt 8'6" for floating line and an echo shadow x 10foot 2 wt and 11foot 3 weight for euro rods. Redding rise 3 reels are great and friendly. I would spend $100 less on a reel and put that money in the rod and get yourself into a good $400ish rod.

@terrell35744 read the 4wt shootout and started looking for a shadow unfortunately the are discontinued…
the douglas dxf are good rods too I used a 6 wt for a weekend they work good enough lol... You could call yellowstone, Los Pinos here in Albuquerque, reds fly shop or any other good fly shop tell them that you were recommended a hardy shadow and see what the new hotness is for a rod like it. I like the rod a lot because is a little slower action and i cast better with it compared to a sage which a usually faster action(all of which is a person preference thing). What state/ types of water are you going to fish in?

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: FWoo45 and Modoc
For the money, you can’t beat Temple Fork and St Croix. I’ve casted a lot of different price point rods. Modern rods are great. A $150 Cabelas rod is very fishable. For trout in Colorado and small bass and panfish, I’d get a 9’ 5w.

CO mostly small streams. I live in kS and perch in the farm ponds are a blast
4wt 8'6" is a good pick for the brushy creeks and high mountain valleys steams you are on the right track. Even though the different between 9'and 8'6" doesn't seem like much it way more maneuverable and the 4 wt will punch the wind that is always in the mountains way better then something like my 2wt.

I like the St Croix Imperial rods lot. I have the 9' 8wt and a 11' 8wt switch rod for steelhead here in upstate NY. They cast well and handle the bigger fish. A 8-9' 5wt should do you well, I would lead towards the 9'. If you look around, you might be able to find one in that price range.

Mike

TFO's LK Legacy rod is a bit above your price range but punches well above its price class. I have higher end Sage's, a Scott radian and the Legacy goes out a bunch. Its more durable and the turn around when I break it is fast, unlike Scott and Sage that now have absurd turn arounds on their warranties. I think last time my Scott went in it was 10 weeks. Dont get me wrong, its a badass rod but it breaks just looking at it and then its gone for more less the rest of the season. Really hard to beat TFO for the money and Im pretty sure they are made in Korea not China

You could give a Redington Vice a try. I have a 9’ 5wt and it’s a pretty awesome value rod. It’s super fast, so you can (with some work on your end) chuck larger streamers. I’ve nymphed it with great success. It isn’t a super delicate dry dropper rod. For that application, I’d go with a 4wt and something a little more delicate (action wise).

Others have mentioned the TFO Lefty Kreh rods. They’re great.

Let us know what you come up with.

I live 30-40 minutes from two great fisheries here in Colorado. I fish those a lot, and I try to fish all over the state when we're out camping including a fair number of very small streams. I carry a 9' 4wt and a 9' 6wt. Both are older G Loomis IMX rods. I guess I'm in my 30th year of chasing fish (crap I'm old), and I've never once pulled out the 6wt. If anything, I'm wishing for an 8' 3wt for the really tight brush.

My gear is all so old I have no advice on new rods. However, if you fish the Platte river in the center of the state, let me know. I'll hook you up with some spots you might not know about.

Reactions: roosterpig
There are a lot of great rods in that price range. Look at Echo, Blue Halo, or a used rod in good shape. I recently bought a Sage rod that was 6-8 year old and in excellent, barely used condition for around $300 and its a now discontinued model that I prefer over the latest models. If there is a good specialty fly fishing shop (NOT general fishing or sporting goods shop) near you go see what they have available.