• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flyer questions (originally posted on long range shooters)

Ejecto_seato6282

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
South Texas
I was working on some load development today. I shot the bottom right first, then the 5 shot group on the bottom right, then on to the seating depth testing. I shoot fifteen 3 shoot groups with .003" change in seating depth for each. I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on with the flyers I have? Each one was on the first round of the group, after a pause to let the barrel cool down a bit. They are all about two inches low right. I know it is most likely something I am doing incorrectly, the problem is I'm not sure what I could be doing to cause this.
Note: load is 36.5 grains of sta-ball 6.5 in virgin 6gt Hornady brass federal 205m and Barnes match Burner 112 grain.
Rifle is bighorn tl3 with a bartlein gain twist barrel(1/8.25-1/7.5)
-barrel after these 50 rounds is now at @100 rounds through it.
-the stock is a grayboe ridgeback
-i was shooting off a Harris bipod with a rear bag.
- barrel is free floated(checked with slight downward pressure in barrel, no contact up to the switchlug.)
-all fasteners are torqued and have witness marks.
- I do not have velocity numbers yet.

If the "flyers" were say 3/4 inch away I would think it may be me, but I don't really think that is the case.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_151047502.jpg
    IMG_20210606_151047502.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 131
That is certainly curious. If you are able to remove and re-install the barrel I would give that a try.

The reason I suggest this is because I have a AI-AT that had a similar problem when I didn't get a barrel properly seated once.

Reactions: Ejecto_seato6282
That is certainly curious. If you are able to remove and re-install the barrel I would give that a try.

The reason I suggest this is because I have a AI-AT that had a similar problem when I didn't get a barrel properly seated once.

That is interesting. My rifle has the switchlug, so I am definitely going to try that.

I don't really know anything about this but looking at your target it appears to me that your bullet wants to jump. When you get to a length of 1.967 and shorter your groups start staying together. I think I need to try jumping my bullet further and see what it does.

Reactions: Ejecto_seato6282
You need to let someone else shoot your rifle and see what it does.

if you look at the fliers they all have the same POI which leads me to think it’s the shooter…most fliers I’ve seen have a different POI and most turn out to be the shooter unless the barrel is shot out.

Youre right. It’s impossible for you to pull shots.
I'm not saying I am not capable of pulling a shot. I am saying that in order to pull a shot 2" at 100yards off a bipod using a rear bag would have to be a pretty significant fundamental not being performed. I feel like I would have noticed it. Where if it was a lesser distance away it was probably something smaller that that I didn't realize that I did.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I am heading to the range again this morning after I finish loading up a few more rounds with the shorter CBTO length. I am also going to load 5 rounds of one of the lengths that had the stray round, to see if the result is duplicated.

I'm not saying I am not capable of pulling a shot. I am saying that in order to pull a shot 2" at 100yards off a bipod using a rear bag would have to be a pretty significant fundamental not being performed. I feel like I would have noticed it. Where if it was a lesser distance away it was probably something smaller that that I didn't realize that I did.

Not at all. Something as little as a loose folding stock. As Lowlight mentioned in a few of his podcasts. Considering, approx, .114" = 20moa (20") at 100y, your 2" poi difference is about .005" of movement, either on your part or the part of your equipment.

Even if you don't have a folding stock, as mentioned in the above paragraph, I'm sure there is something on your weapon system that 'can' move, be it adjustable cheek, length of pull, etc.

Just out of curiosity: Are you Right of Left handed? Not a joke, I honestly want to know.

Flyers are a part of life in load development. Groups are not always uniformly symmetrical. Match barrels do not shoot half moa with every combination.

If your barrel was improperly installed I would think all the groups would be fucked up.

I‘m under the impression you just went with a random powder charge to do your seating depth test and that is not a good way to do it.

Reactions: LR1845
I pulled the barrel off, reinstalled it. Verified free float was good. Loaded up some more at longer bullet jump, and one CBTO that shot bad at my last range day. Here are the results from today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_154812542.jpg
    IMG_20210608_154812542.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: ShtrRdy
First round flyers are usually a barrel fitment issue. Looks like reinstalling fixed the issue. Since you know there’s a problem there I’d bump up the torque on that barrel.

Next time you have it apart check the length of the pins. I know a guy has one that had an issue in the beginning. I believe it ended up with proud pins not letting the barrel shoulder up right.

Next time you have it apart check the length of the pins. I know a guy has one that had an issue in the beginning. I believe it ended up with proud pins not letting the barrel shoulder up right.
I have looked at that while it was apart in the past, they are not protruding. Thank you for the advice though.