• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Flying with your match gear.

Mormegil87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    I know the topic of flying with a rifle has been covered extensively both here and on the Scout version but what do you all do with your match gear when flying? Do you put it through checked baggage or carry on. I'm shooting factory ammo so I'll have that shipped ahead of time to my buddy who lives in SD

I'm taking the following gear and clothes:

Checked Baggage
    2 Rear bags
    Armageddon fat bag
    Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 Pack
    Wrist bands
    Spare Batteries
    Sidewinder D.O.P.E card holder
    Whatever needed gear that I'm forgetting...

Carry On
    Daily Clothing
    Weather gear
    -Rain Jacket
    -Layering jacket
    Boots
    Kestrel
    PLRF10

Am I missing anything? I felt I had way to much stuff with me last year and with flying this year I'd like to keep it to the essentials. Should I move things around?

Check with your airline about cost of extra bags and weight allowances. If you ever think of just adding that third bag to checked luggage it could cost $100. Generally bags are limited to 50 pounds. Your allocation between checked and carry on looks ok. Always put things that could have gunpowder residue on them in your checked luggage. TSA likes to run that swab in your carryon. Bells go off when they find gunpowder. When you check in you will declare your firearm and sign a form that states it is unloaded. Ask the agent where you should wait to make sure it passes TSA inspection. They like to look in your locked case sometimes and you do not want them to cut your locks because you were not around to give them the key. Regarding ammo, if you have to send it from home use FedEx or UPS. The box needs the ORD label on the outside and it can only go ground, not air. You will need a container such as the box your ammo came in to bring it home from the match if you have any left over. It can go in your checked luggage up to 11 pounds. Again, check with your airline. Check in 2 hours ahead of your flight to make sure you have time in case there are delays.