• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Flying

Baldbull151

Corporal of the Woods
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
San Antonio, TX
So I wanna start flying to prs matches. Not sure if this has been covered before but can I take my gun and handloads all within the same pelican and put a lock on it to check it in?

I believe there is a requirement for keeping ammo boxed but I believe the box can be in your locked rifle case.

Firearms

• When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
  • If you are traveling internationally with a firearm in checked baggage, please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information and requirements prior to travel.
  • Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
  • Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.
  • Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.
Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Totally disagree with using TSA locks. If you do then anyone can open your gun case. If TSA has an issue, they will get in touch with you and ask for the keys to you locks. I fly Southwest and they say right in their rules for flying with a firearm, to NOT use TSA locks.

Greg
It’s a double edged sword. If TSA needs you they will page you and make u open it. If you miss your flight because if it it’s on you.

It’s a double edged sword. If TSA needs you they will page you and make u open it. If you miss your flight because if it it’s on you.

That's true, I've been asked for my keys twice, both within minutes of boarding a plane. They delivered the keys back to me while I was on the plane. Both times it was an ammo issue, not a gun issue. Still don't want the baggage guys being able to also unlock the case and they do have TSA keys.

Greg

Totally disagree with using TSA locks. If you do then anyone can open your gun case. If TSA has an issue, they will get in touch with you and ask for the keys to you locks. I fly Southwest and they say right in their rules for flying with a firearm, to NOT use TSA locks.

Greg
Because a pelican is only ever used for guns??

Also, what are you doing between the shuttle and TSA firearm check in that you're leaving it for someone to open

I've flown numerous times, including mutliple international trips with firearms. Never have I used TSA locks, and never have I missed a flight because of it.

TSA always looks at the case right after the check-in process - you will almost always know right away whether they need into your case or not. Not a big deal at all, I've had to open it up numerous times and it is very painless.

Arrive at the airport early and follow the rules, and it will be an easy and painless process.

Reactions: pga43
TSA locks. use TSA locks

NEVER use TSA locks for rifle cases. I believe it does or did actually say this in the TSA rules. I never have and never will and will advise against it.

If TSA needs to look in your case they will call you to open it. I have had it happen and actually per their rules they are supposed to have you there watching. Some are pains in the ass so i just gave them the key.

Also if shipping your ammo ahead of time is an option it's not a bad one. I shipped all my ammo to matches when I flew and just flew home with the ammo I didn't use.

Reactions: pga43 and kthomas
NEVER use TSA locks for rifle cases. I believe it does or did actually say this in the TSA rules. I never have and never will and will advise against it.

If TSA needs to look in your case they will call you to open it. I have had it happen and actually per their rules they are supposed to have you there watching. Some are pains in the ass so i just gave them the key.

Also if shipping your ammo ahead of time is an option it's not a bad one. I shipped all my ammo to matches when I flew and just flew home with the ammo I didn't use.

Totally agree. I also take photos of everything that's in the case with my phone. Never have had an issue with TSA when the ammo is at or less than 400 rounds. Even though most airlines will say 11 lbs.

Greg

Not going to read every bit of it, but DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS ON YOUR CASE, ever. If TSA wants in, you are to be present when they open the case. You and only you are to be in possession of the keys to open the case. Ammo is fine in side a hard side locked case as long as it is in factory boxes or other hard sided boxes designed to carry ammo (MTM cases, etc.) Also, don't worry about connecting flights in unfriendly zones, but DO NOT EVER TAKE POSSESION of them if something happens. Mine have been in LA and Chiraq more times than I can count, with no problems. If a flight gets canceled or delayed, leave your stuff at the airport and/or stay there yourself. If you have to leave do not take them with you or you open the door to lots of problems.

Get to the airport early, plan on some bullshit here and there, and never expect the same thing twice.

Just looking for any insight as far as California goes, specifically Palm Springs.

I am going to be driving down from Canada to shoot the TPRC match in November and then flying home from Palm Springs.
I have a bolt action in a MPA chassis. Just wanted to make sure there were no issues with pistol grips etc. I think that only applies to gas guns but I thought I would double check.

Just looking for any insight as far as California goes, specifically Palm Springs.

I am going to be driving down from Canada to shoot the TPRC match in November and then flying home from Palm Springs.
I have a bolt action in a MPA chassis. Just wanted to make sure there were no issues with pistol grips etc. I think that only applies to gas guns but I thought I would double check.

Bolt gun and only 10 rounds magazines and you will be fine.

Greg

It's a bolt action rifle, does not matter what it looks like

Interesting on the TSA locks, The last time I flew with a firearm, I had to have them. That was several years ago. I guess they had enough airport people breaking into and stealing weapons, (and probably got sued for it) that they decided against making you have TSA locks since then.

Because far be it for the airlines to actually securely transport a sensitive item such as a firearm. They want all the money if you carry baggage one, but they don't want any responsibility for charging you extra. I believe I did pay for oversize baggage that last time. Also, back then you could carry the ammo (stored in individual ammunition containers) in a locked piece of luggage. I had a pistol case full of ammo locked inside my travel bag. But, I found, back then, you could put the ammo in with the firearm. I thought that strange.

Added:
I also guess I'm lucky, as I noted I went through the whole TSA security line and when I got to Reno, my rifle case had been opened between MSP and RNO

I have been flying with firearms since the TSA started as a way to lock my checked luggage and prevent theft.

I read the TSA regulations and as far as I can tell it has never been legal to fly with TSA locks on luggage containing a gun.

The TSA agents are generally hugely ignorant of their own regulations so sometimes an idiot will tell you otherwise but they are wrong, get real locks.

Reactions: pga43
From the TSA website (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition)

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

That must have changed. Been flying since 2004 with my rifles and you could never use tsa locks. Specifically said that. I would never anyways. Stupid to use a lock someone else can easily get in.

Reactions: 308pirate
My wife is a flight attendant and thus we can fly standby status for free. It specifically says in the TSA guidelines NOT to use TSA locks on a gun case. I printed my name and phone number along with the TSA regulation that states the owner must be present to open the case and used 10 layers of clear packing tape to secure it to the side of my Pelican case. Also make sure you have a separate insurance policy to cover your contents in case of loss or damage, as its highly unlikely the airline will compensate you if your item is damaged.

My wife is a flight attendant and thus we can fly standby status for free. It specifically says in the TSA guidelines NOT to use TSA locks on a gun case. I printed my name and phone number along with the TSA regulation that states the owner must be present to open the case and used 10 layers of clear packing tape to secure it to the side of my Pelican case. Also make sure you have a separate insurance policy to cover your contents in case of loss or damage, as its highly unlikely the airline will compensate you if your item is damaged.
You didn’t see my post 2 up did you? TSA does allow TSA locks and when you non rev you cannot transport firearms. Not sure which airline your wife works for but it’s in the non rev rules I’m sure.

You didn’t see my post 2 up did you? TSA does allow TSA locks and when you non rev you cannot transport firearms. Not sure which airline your wife works for but it’s in the non rev rules I’m sure.
Something has definitely changed then, I non-revved all the time and had weapons go with me. That was Great Lakes (no longer operating), Mesaba, a Northwest Airlink commuter (so I flew a lot on NW), and US Airways. Both now merged into Delta.

I am also an airline employee and for the last 13 years I’ve been working there, I take my firearms with me to destinations all over, non rev. May want to check those non rev rules again.

I am also an airline employee and for the last 13 years I’ve been working there, I take my firearms with me to destinations all over, non rev. May want to check those non rev rules again.
I know for a fact mine doesn’t allow it. I didn’t check and I got caught with my pants down. That’s how I know. I’m honestly shocked they allow them at all.

I know for a fact mine doesn’t allow it. I didn’t check and I got caught with my pants down. That’s how I know. I’m honestly shocked they allow them at all.
I'm not surprised they aren't allowing it either now. Airlines don't want to have to deal with luggage that needs to be secured. if you got bumped, then the case goes ahead of you, or if it gets bumped, highly likely due to mail now, it has to come on a later flight. I've had both happen. The airline doesn't want the responsibility. They want the money, but it doesn't offset the responsibility when someone has to babysit a piece of luggage.

I just picked up a Pelican Vault V800 for the Alaska training class this summer. It has 4 holes to put a lock in it, but I also want to minimize weight too.

Is it okay to just put two locks on the outer holes or do all 4 holes need locks in it?

How heavy duty of a lock do I need for checking in the case to the airlines? Locks can range from $10 a pair to $45 a pair...

Thanks!

I just picked up a Pelican Vault V800 for the Alaska training class this summer. It has 4 holes to put a lock in it, but I also want to minimize weight too.

Is it okay to just put two locks on the outer holes or do all 4 holes need locks in it?

How heavy duty of a lock do I need for checking in the case to the airlines? Locks can range from $10 a pair to $45 a pair...

Thanks!

get a small plane and fly anywhere you want once you get your license you can do it
no crowds , no pushy people or there kids you can't knock out . Just you and your company and the clouds .

Reactions: Jlcichocki
get a small plane and fly anywhere you want once you get your license you can do it
no crowds , no pushy people or there kids you can't knock out . Just you and your company and the clouds .
Anywhere lower 48 to and around Alaska isn't really a good idea for new pilots...JMO. Yeah, I like the idea of moving about the country freely, but the safety factors involved mean you need to get some time under your belt before attempting that.

Thanks!
You can't use "TSA locks" because they aren't considered locks.

As long as you get real locks that random airport workers can't open, it should be good enough because no case is resistant to stealing the whole thing.

You could do two locks and two zip-ties.

As long as you get real locks that random airport workers can't open, it should be good enough because no case is resistant to stealing the whole thing.

?‍♂️

Reactions: sandwarrior

TSA locks are "locks". They are a bit inneffective as many TSA "keys" are around and some bagsmasher could take your rifle and you wouldn't know it until you opened it. Too late to do anything right away for sure. They are also easy to pick.

As to littlepod,
You lock it up however you see fit. You can get standard master locks (which the TSA can't go in and just take a peek at your firearm) or you can go the specialty hardened locks where the standard "master key" aka boltcutters won't cut. Either way, you'll get to keep your locks in the end so money spent isn't necessarily wasted.

It's always good to have some kind of insurance on your rifle and a "tracking number/system" so you can hold the airline accountable if it disappears. I had a friend who lost a beautiful custom 1911. He had to fight to get his money, but he did get it. Handguns are clearly more apt to get removed. Of course, a lot depends on which hubs you fly through. I don't think the airlines are up to speed in firearm security in either process or practice of processes.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepod
I suggest you read the laws regarding guns in checked baggage. TSA "locks" do not meet the requirements.

They don't meet my personal requirements for security either.
Look at post 34 and follow the link. Just for the record, I am extremely well versed in traveling with a firearm, the do’s and donts and the how to, and the rules and regulations from TSA and the airlines. I’m a commercial airline pilot, I live this shit and see it every single day. You have no clue what you are talking about. I understand yours and anyone’s reservations when it comes to TSA locks, BUT, they are perfectly legal and despite what you guys think, the master key to these aren’t just floating around for everyone to have.

TSA Locks are requested by TSA, their locks are absolutely approved, you're ignorant on the subject

You can go on youtube and learn how to pick any of the locks out there with a coke can lock picking videos are all over youtube

As an example, United does not always send your stuff to TSA but they check it after. In Nashville they not only don't give it to TSA with you there, but they don't call you until just before boarding. They also do the Reach in and Touch, meaning they lock your case and open it and if they can slide a finger in

You ignorant fools are people who maybe flew once a year with a firearm vs guys who fly every month with firearms across multiple airports throughout the country. TSA Locks are the best safety device you can use because it is so inconsistent.

Stop spreading LIES about TSA Locks, next time someone posts TSA locks are illegal I am banning them for spreading false information

I recently posted a picture from AK at the TSA room and it says, TSA Locks, same with Denver.

You can argue with them all you want, they will cut your locks and leave your shit completely unattended.

Baggage claim does not have KEYS and if you ever saw the Key Chain from TSA it's bigger than your head. There are dozens of different keys having the right one is not as easy as you think.

TSA is an AGENCY Assholes, not a PERSON, you are still in control of your keys.

Idiots

TSA Locks are requested by TSA, their locks are absolutely approved, you're ignorant on the subject

You can go on youtube and learn how to pick any of the locks out there with a coke can lock picking videos are all over youtube

As an example, United does not always send your stuff to TSA but they check it after. In Nashville they not only don't give it to TSA with you there, but they don't call you until just before boarding. They also do the Reach in and Touch, meaning they lock your case and open it and if they can slide a finger in

You ignorant fools are people who maybe flew once a year with a firearm vs guys who fly every month with firearms across multiple airports throughout the country. TSA Locks are the best safety device you can use because it is so inconsistent.

Stop spreading LIES about TSA Locks, next time someone posts TSA locks are illegal I am banning them for spreading false information

I recently posted a picture from AK at the TSA room and it says, TSA Locks, same with Denver.

You can argue with them all you want, they will cut your locks and leave your shit completely unattended.

Baggage claim does not have KEYS and if you ever saw the Key Chain from TSA it's bigger than your head. There are dozens of different keys having the right one is not as easy as you think.

TSA is an AGENCY Assholes, not a PERSON, you are still in control of your keys.

Idiots
???????????????????????????????????????

• Haha
Reactions: sandwarrior
This part "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks." is new and contradicts itself.

How can "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key" work with a TSA lock that they have a key for?

You should note they don't require TSA locks so I'm not going to suggest to anyone that they should be that kind of stupid.

This part "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks." is new and contradicts itself.

How can "Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key" work with a TSA lock that they have a key for?

You should note they don't require TSA locks so I'm not going to suggest to anyone that they should be that kind of stupid.
Suggesting they don’t use them is fine. Saying they are not allowed is false. It’s been that way for over a decade. The reason they created the TSA lock was so you didn’t have to come down and open your case for them and risk missing your flight. But you do you. I’m not here to tell you how to live your life. I’m just trying to pass on the facts of the matter and the fact is TSA locks are perfectly fine.

Sign at DIA Gun Room,
IMG_3627 2.JPG

why advertise it, on the table is the set of keys they always say thanks to me for using them and laugh at your paranoia

IMG_0389.jpg

Oh look TSA locks on my case,

Baggage claim guys are not the issue,

Most recent sign in Ak Airport

IMG_1244.JPG

read what it says, if you miss the call for your key your rifle will not FLY

In Nashville, just recently I was at the gate after I waited 30 minutes by the counter to see if they call me, they called me for the key to my locks because, on this trip, United did a reach in and touch test. With my TSA locks the loops are too big so I switched to master locks that flight. Had I been wearing my Noise Cancelling Headphones I would have missed the call, but since we were in PRE-BOARD I had heard them and gave them my key. They took it to plane via the Jetway, so missing the announcement means my rifle is in Nashville when I arrive in Denver

Every situation is different I carry two sets of locks. I swap them based on the location. But TSA Locks are a lifesaver if they don't have a room to check the rifle, and in many places, they don't.

Reactions: seansmd
I have no idea what the fuck you are saying,

That is the Gun Room at DIA where they inspect firearms

That is the scanner
Well then, I'm glad to see him scanning onto the plane. When I worked at DIA (DEN now?) in 1997/8 I thought their security concept was pretty good. They didn't scan guns onto the plane though.

Well since I live in Nashville and fly in and out of here 10-12+ times a year and have for the last 7+ years, I can say I've never used TSA locks and never intend to use them. While I know they are legal and maybe preferred, I still use my MasterLocks and deal with the occasional call for my key.

It really comes down to personal choice. Follow the TSA and airline guidelines and be prepared to have them break their own rules.

I fly mainly Southwest and have flown into and out of about 20 of their terminals (Tampa, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Spokane, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Charleston, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Omaha, St Louis) and they all do it different.

Greg