• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN A5 M SPR

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Is this rifle worth the price tag, or would one be better off building a semi-custom for the roughly the same ammount? Thinking of 300 WSM for caliber.

Re: FN A5 M SPR

Well, what is the price? FN is a fine weapon. Great pre-64 Win action and very solid shooter.

ive been shooting a Fn SPR for awhile ive had 3 sold one still have 2 more 1 under 100 rounds and 1 unfired
great rifle but im moving up to a custom build now that funds are better
its what you can shell out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LNO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, what is the price? </div></div>

Honestly...I'm not sure. One of my friends called me today from the gun shop and said he found a "smoking deal on an FN" and I have no real experience with them. I told him to go with the a Remmy because it would be easier to find a smith to work on it in the future. I just posted the question here to see what people with more experience thought of the rifle.

You gave your buddy somewhat poor advice. You will have no trouble whatsoever finding a smith to work on an FN. ANY competent smith will work on one.

If it is truly a great deal the FN will put you WAY ahead of a Rem. I had an A5m 300 wsm that is still a tackdriver with its current owner.

Personally, I'd go the custom route using an FN action--but if you can't wait or don't want to deal with the potential aggravation. The A5m is a great way to go.

Sorry, I did't tell him to go with the Remington, I told him I would go with the Remington. I'm sure FN makes a great rifle but the $2100+ tag on them sure would go a long way toward a custom the way I want it. I guess I am just looking for opinions on the rifle so I can help him with his decision.

I rather like the FN action over the Remington. It comes with a steel trigger guard and all of it is drop forged chromoly steel. The hard chrome lining in the cold hammer forged barrel is GREAT in theory. Practice may vary. But there is a lifetime warranty on the it. The McMillan stock is phenomenal. $2,100 is a deal...

Have George Gardner bed it properly and you're good to go, I'd think.

I'll sell you mine a2.......2k

DSC00941.jpg

If your buddy is not deadset on a 300 WSM, and willing to spend $2100, I'd consider something like the following:

1) Barrelled Action $950 http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1051374#Post1051374

2) CDI Bottom Metal $200

3) Manners or McMillan Stock-- new/used $400-$800

4) Bedding/CDI Installation $200

5) Color (DIY or Prof) $30-$150

6) Barrel Fluting $135

7) Cut to length re-crown $50

Total $1965--$2485 To make a custom a5m clone to your specs (Actually you can do it for well under $1800 if you limit the bling and DIY the color).

They can turn out real nice for a good deal if you shop around take your time and pick your components wisely.
AJBFN001.jpg

PBR barreled action from CDNN at $499 plus McMillan A3 from the specials page at $525 equals $1024.
IMG_2154-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your buddy is not deadset on a 300 WSM, and willing to spend $2100, I'd consider something like the following:

1) Barrelled Action $950 http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1051374#Post1051374

2) CDI Bottom Metal $200

3) Manners or McMillan Stock-- new/used $400-$800

4) Bedding/CDI Installation $200

5) Color (DIY or Prof) $30-$150

6) Barrel Fluting $135

7) Cut to length re-crown $50

Total $1965--$2485 To make a custom a5m clone to your specs (Actually you can do it for well under $1800 if you limit the bling and DIY the color).

They can turn out real nice for a good deal if you shop around take your time and pick your components wisely.
AJBFN001.jpg

</div></div>

Stop showing off E!!!

Just sent my FN 300 WSM to GAP for new barrel chrome flaking off bore at 600 rounds. I will never buy another chrome lined .308 again. The only reason I bought the gun was for its long bore life. The 300 WSM is a good round easy to load for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tioga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just sent my FN 300 WSM to GAP for new barrel chrome flaking off bore at 600 rounds.</div></div>That's why you get the PBR. Cheaper, too.

I just bought a FN XP 308 from CDNN. I slapped a Harris on it and a Mark4. It showed up yesterday, just waiting for the snow to stop so I can test it out.

jj7hgp.jpg

cdnn had spr actions listed for a dawm cheap price but they are all gone now does anyone know where i can find one so i can do a custom A1-3 build

I got my SPR for $600 brand new ... guy needed money and I cashed in big time