• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN Ballista Light Primer Strike

Jaedon61

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2020
Pittsburgh
I recently got an FN Ballista chambered in 338 Lapua. I have shot around 150 rounds through it, and all of the sudden I am beginning to have light primer strikes.(using federal 215's) I've checked all of the usual suspects such as dirty firing pin, headspace issues, primer seating depth, etc. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this particular rifle, and if it was a spring issue, or what you had found. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 7C0D279C-8863-4DE5-9EB4-9958EF8E568D.jpeg
    7C0D279C-8863-4DE5-9EB4-9958EF8E568D.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 132
I got one a few months ago, haven't taken it out yet. Dried fired only. Is the spring free from oil? Something slowing down the firing pin's free travel? Nothing physically broken I'll assume.

I got one a few months ago, haven't taken it out yet. Dried fired only. Is the spring free from oil? Something slowing down the firing pin's free travel? Nothing physically broken I'll assume.
I assumed it was that also, i have thoroughly cleaned the firing pin and nothing is broken. That's why I was confused only thing I could think of other than what I had already checked would be the spring wearing. I would be quite surprised if it happened in that low of a round count, but I am not ruling it out. I appreciate the help though!

When this "all of a sudden" occurred, had the temperature dropped enough to require a coat when shooting?

If so, it's very likely too much grease in the striker spring. Remove the striker assembly from the bolt assembly like you would do to change the bolt head. Spray the striker spring and assembly really well with degreaser. Let it dry and relube with a light oil. Also spray out the inside of the bolt body. Reassemble and give it a try.

To check if the striker is sluggish when cold, place the bolt assembly in the freezer for an hour. Pull it out and release the striker with the safety when the striker is rotated into the firing position (striker can move forward into cocking notch in the bolt body). If it is at all sluggish or not as sharp as when warm, the grease around the striker spring is slowing it down.

The firing pin in the bolt head should move freely also. It should not have any of this thick grease in it, just a very light oil as lube.

If degreasing it does not make the problem go away, contact FN for service.

Hope this helps.

AG

When this "all of a sudden" occurred, had the temperature dropped enough to require a coat when shooting?

If so, it's very likely too much grease in the striker spring. Remove the striker assembly from the bolt assembly like you would do to change the bolt head. Spray the striker spring and assembly really well with degreaser. Let it dry and relube with a light oil. Also spray out the inside of the bolt body. Reassemble and give it a try.

To check if the striker is sluggish when cold, place the bolt assembly in the freezer for an hour. Pull it out and release the striker with the safety when the striker is rotated into the firing position (striker can move forward into cocking notch in the bolt body). If it is at all sluggish or not as sharp as when warm, the grease around the striker spring is slowing it down.

The firing pin in the bolt head should move freely also. It should not have any of this thick grease in it, just a very light oil as lube.

If degreasing it does not make the problem go away, contact FN for service.

Hope this helps.

AG
Haha I appreciate the advice sorry forgot to mention I had tried that as well! I finally got ahold of FN, they had the same advice . After we went through all of their ideas they decided they wanted it sent back. As I'm sure its going to be months before I receive it back I was hoping for a miracle, but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Thank you again!

Just curious...but are you able to measure the pin protrusion?

Haha I appreciate the advice sorry forgot to mention I had tried that as well! I finally got ahold of FN, they had the same advice . After we went through all of their ideas they decided they wanted it sent back. As I'm sure its going to be months before I receive it back I was hoping for a miracle, but I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Thank you again!
Hello, I recently got a ballista and took 338 Lapua handloads with new Lapua brass, Winchester lrm primers, CCI lrm primers. When testing 40-50 round batches I had 7-10 rounds not fire every range trip. I spoke with FN and they don't sell any spare parts. I wanted to try new complete bolt assembly to see if there is something wrong with mine. I contacted unique Alpine and they make this rifle currently and all parts even other calibers. I tried to purchase from unique Alpine but they refered me to FN USA and FN would not sell direct to me. What a joke. What was your results any new update on what the fix was?

Hi,

With proper firing pin protrusion yet still getting the occasional light strike.....

Do any of you know the firing pin spring rate?

Does the manual list that by chance?

With the bolt out of the receiver and you manually uncock it; when the firing pin protrudes from the bolt face...how easy is it to push back in with an allen wrench or such?

If the firing pin spring has gotten shorter and/or weaker it may allow the firing pin to move back into the bolt body just enough to cause the light by not keeping enough tension.

We went through that exact problem during T&E to find the appropriate firing pin spring rate for our system.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: M77
Collar on the firing pin drive rod unscrews slightly. Typically about 250 rounds with a 338 Lapua.

Check that it is fully seated and add a dot of loctite if you are not going to disassemble frequently.

What clean cold bore shift do you typically see. just interested.

Reactions: THEIS