• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN-based rifle build

J-Ham

Aquamarine Team
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Whitefish, MT
    As you can see I'm new to the forum and in need of you-all's expertise. I'll give you some background info & then hit you with the questions. I've been shooting for 25 years, I'm only 28 now so the better part of my life. The most "accurate" gun I've owned was a Remington PSS light tactical with a Leupold Mil-Dot scope in .308. The gun shot like shit, I mean like 1.5" or so. Other than that, I've spent quite a bit of time on an M40 A3 while in the service, so I know I can shoot OK. Better than some, not as good as others.

Anyway, so I just ordered an FN action in .308. My budget for the gun itself (no optic) is $1500-2000. I need a barrel, a McMillan A5 stock, bottom metal I think, and someone smarter & better equipted than I to put it all together. So what do you guys think? I appreciate any and all advice. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't have asked. Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate your help.

Re: FN-based rifle build

I recommend GAP in North Kansas City. If GAP's wait time is too long, I have a gunsmith friend in Greensburg, KS that build up a M40A1 copy for me a decade ago that easily handle your request.

If you need a stock, I still have a new Manners T3 w/ #7 barrel contour and a new McMillan A3 in desert camo sitting in boxes in my office. Both are factory milled for the FN SPR actions. I know they are not A5's but something to consider.

You will NOT be disappointed with the FN SPR action. I LOVE mine.

Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Re: FN-based rifle build

I picked up one of those actions from CDNN, and a Brux 10 twist finished at 20" and threaded. I ordered the McMillan A3 from CDI Precision, which he inlet for the bottom metal, along with his bottom metal and 2 AI mags. With gunsmithing, I am right at $1800, and it's a shooter....Ken Porter put it together for me, and did a fine job.