• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN Bolt knob

Daniel Barham

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Pine Hall, NC
Finished this yesterday over at my friends shop. We used a jig his dad made to turn down the bolt handle. Holy shit, this FN bolt was hard.
I started out a bolt in SS, screwed it up, then turned this one down
from Aluminum. Just needs to be blasted and coated.

100_3647.jpg

100_3650.jpg

Re: FN Bolt knob

I do them on a lathe and use carbide tooling and my ground HSS threading bit. You just about can't use a die to thread it, it will get hot as hell and bust eventually...I know..haha.

Looks good!

USH-

Your knob work, as shown in your For Sale thread is about the best I have ever seen. Nice job!!

Thank you 19Scout77, The fixture that I use on the lathe allows me to keep bumping my shoulder back so the contour of the original knob can flow right into the Badger knob. On top of that, I dont have to refinish the bolt. When I do them for people I can have them done and back in the mail the same day I get them.

I wish I had another one that needed a knob! Your smithing work is coming right along! I have enjoyed watching the progression evidenced in your posts over the last year or two.

For the first time in my life, I can say that without question, absent some unforeseen MAJOR influx of cash, I will not purchase any firearms in 2009. Never before would I have made such a statement, but I can now.

The only thing major I'll be buying this year is glass for the extra UNNECESSARY 7 wsm I just put together!

No mas por mi

USH- Keep up the good work! I'd like to see your muzzle and breech threading.

If you find a good deal and just can't pass it up, remember that your Scout friend down South is always in serious need of more guns.

Wanna buy a Scout instead?? I GUARANTEE its the nicest one you'll ever see in this lifetime or any other!!!

$35k gets me interested, $40k takes it!!! In fact I am trying to find new storage space for it today. Ain't married life grand!!

Seeing this kinda makes me wish I hadn't sold my 300 WSM SPR. Nice work!

I sure did. I'm still waiting delivery of 2 more customs I started pre-marriage! I built 3 customs and bought 3 S & B's in the 6 months before my wedding!!

i would buy more now, but im still paying the debt from my divorce. d'oh. traded the ex in on an f250, smartest thing i ever did.

I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> that's the nicest Scout I'd ever see, but I can't imagine the look on my wife's face just after I told her I'd paid $40K for a Scout, just before she proceeded to hurt me physically and emotionally.

I have a Terra body sitting behind my shop now, I'm thinking of building a nice Traveler or Terra out of. If I decide to do it, it'll be a long build but nice when I'm done.