• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FN Five Seven--anyone have one? Know it?

silverphoenix

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
Texas,USA
www.facebook.com
I'm thinking about getting a FN Five Seven pistol--I hear they run about $900-$1000 and the ammo (5.7x28mm) is around $0.50 a round--which is a little high for pistol caliber rounds (well I'm use to getting 9MM for 0.26 a pop), but<span style="font-style: italic"> it is</span> some special shit. It's supposed to have AP abilities--which I'm not thinking about body armor piercing capabilities, but larger game-hide piercing abilities. I'm planning a trip to grizzly country for a hiking/camping trip this fall and I can't exactly carry around my huge-ass 24" barreled .308, so I'm thinking this Five Seven might be the ticket.

Anyone have one or know it's piercing and knock-down/tissue damage capabilities? Any cans out there for it (if so, how much?) so I don't have to worry about hearing loss if I have to use it? Can't exactly wear hearing protection...that would NOT look good lol

And are there any known problems with its design?

Re: FN Five Seven--anyone have one? Know it?

They are pretty neat guns. Recoil is similar to a .22 but tons more power. As far as design is concerned I have never had an issue, or heard any issues from anyone else. Pretty strange having a plastic "sleeve" around the slide though. The trigger is nothing to write home about but for a combat gun who cares. It is very accurate and capable of firing AP ammunition though I doubt it is available to civvies.

Let's see what else... I think it is a pretty fun gun to have. Too expensive to shoot, Ive just gotten too close to my trusty 9mm and .45's so I shoot them 99% of the time. Really I just keep the Five seveN for novelty, that and it is one of those pistols certain people in the gubment would like to see "gone".

Random, crappy camera phone pic from a few days ago. Actually got a wild hair in me and carried it for the day. I have to admit it has alot of potential as a carry gun.... very slim, easy to carry, light and who can argue with 20+1

276452.jpg

i carry my fiveseven. im 6'2" and 180# so its not too hard to hide. as stated generous power with low recoil. as with anyhting you can load your own ammo that will be much better than what you could buy. or you could purchase from these guys: www.eliteammunition.com i dont know that i would use it as a bear gun though. maybe a s&w 500 instead. there are places that do work to them, trigger jobs, night sights, etc. the people that like them love them, the people that dont like them hate tham, but most of those people dont actually have any experience with the gun. if you do some looking you can still find ammo for $18.00 a box, but the in store avg i find is abbout $21-25.

I admittedly have very little experience with the five seven but I would not recommend it as a bear gun at all! Its great for what it was intended for but dependant on what type of bears you may encounter I would carry a min of a .44mag.

I have had a FN 57 for years & like it. I carry it from time to time. As stated before an easy gun to carry. I feel capable & comfortable when carrying it. I have only shot one bear with a handgun (Ruger 44 Mag)but would not choose the FN 57 for a bear gun. If I were going into country where I might need serious protection & was limited to a handgun, I would take a Glock 20 with CORBON 180gr. Hunting loads. The stuff has always performed well on whitetail & hogs. Lots of power & penetration. Just my opinion.
Semper Fi

I won one, in an raffle last week, put have not shot it yet. Any of you guys suggest ammo for it? I am not sure I am even gonna keep it..
C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won one, in an raffle last week, put have not shot it yet. Any of you guys suggest ammo for it? I am not sure I am even gonna keep it..
C </div></div>

For carry?
SS195 if you can find it, or ss197. The ss196 is garbage.
For range work?
Anything.

Jack

I thought the Five-seveN pistol would be a great HD gun for the woman. She has some recoil sensitivity, and 20+1 is nothing to sneeze at. I already have a PS90, but it is more of a novelty than a working gun. Needless to say, but with ammo hovering around 50 cents a round, she don't get out much.

Trigger Time blasts pigs and coyotes with his all the time, CKA just sold his, I wish I had the coin to by it, its a rifle in pistol form, recoil is like a .22lr but its very loud, ego is good, I like the placement of the safety, +10 on a 20 round mag, ammo is hard to find and a little high, but not bad when you consider the price is for 50.

I had one with a Gemtech can.DO NOT GET THE GEMTECH CAN.It does not perform well with the standard model.It suppresses ok but it would bang up against my 5.7 causing marks on the can.When I contacted Gemtech about it this is what they said:

1.Get the model that it works with(IOG) which would have been an extra grand maybe or
2.Take a dremel tool to your 5.7

they did eventually tell me to send it in but only after I <span style="font-weight: bold"> GAVE </span> it to an freind who is a retired cop and he had the IOG model.

AAC makes one that doesnt have that problem and the SWR Spectre can handle the 5.7.

All in all it was a great gun and fun to shoot/plink with and if they had a IWB holster for it at that time I owned it I would have kept it and used it for an SD gun as well.

This is definitely not the gun you want at your side when you are facing a grizzly. It is an awesome gun though. High capacity, very lightweight when fully loaded, very accurate, and just an all around great gun.

You can get ammo for descent prices if you look around. Right around $.40 a round. I like the 192's and 195's, but the blue tipped 197's are heavier and a little more accurate from what I've shot. if you are able get the 190's. hey are by far the best round. Can't really get them on the civilian side without paying out the ASSSS. I saw some on GB going for like $900 or something for a box. Ridiculous. But if you are mil/leo you can get a mil/leo dealer to get them for about the same price as the rest when they have them instock. If you can, get all they have at the moment.

I know Jarvis makes a threaded barrel for them. Not sure if anyone else does though. From their website I think it is about $320.(I've had it in my favorites for a while, just waiting til the money is right) And AAC does make a can for it but have no first hand experience in owning one. Have shot a friends and it sounds pretty good.

The only thing that I am worried about in the long run is the plastic magazines. I'm not really sure how rugged they will end up being. But they do make 30rd conversions for it which is pretty badass. You don't really notice the weight difference with the extra 10rds like you would with a high cap glock or something.

FWIW

Jeremy

I shot one last week, I did not really like it as it has the hardest trigger pull I have experienced on a semi-auto. It was accurate enough and better put together than I had been lead to believe.

Ranb

Had mine since 2006. It goes to the office with me in my computer bag, while the full size 1911 stays in the truck.

I tried this loud little cartridge on two Javelinas, one shot behind the ear, it dropped, kicked a few times and expired. The other behind the front leg, it staggered, ran around and around squealing, and then it took off hard and collapsed a few yards down the sendero. Both had no exit wounds.

Ive got a few of em, one ive put about 8k rounds thru just for shits n giggles, no malfunctions and high stress groups at 20yds mimick my patterns from a carbine. However like others said, i wouldnt carry that for a bear gun, 454. casull would fill that need better.

Also i think the ammo is reasonable and when you compare the ballistics of other handgun ammo this is twice as fast as good defense 45acp and for the price of 20rnds of .45 you can get 50rnds of 5.7

Also order it by the 1k rnd case and its about $16 bucks a box from some places

One of the best pistol I own. Probably not the best home defense gun simply because of the ammo but I love to shoot it and so does everyone I hand it to.

I love my FN IOM,just added a Jarvis threaded barrel and the SWR Spectre.
The can is excellent,sonic crack is present but hearing safe with full power ammo.I need to load some subsonics and give it a try.

I don't have any experiance with the Five-Seven pistol but I have a PS90 and I love it. The round is impressive. On paper it looks like a .22wmr but on live targets (prairie dogs and rabbits the result is much MUCH more devistating than a .22wmr.

Flat shooting round, really I don't notice any accuracy difference between the SS197 and SS195. I wouldnt' call it pin point but damn close.

low recoil and these days it's one of the cheaper rounds to shoot.

I bought my IOM in May 2004 after I got home from Iraq, I dont shoot it much due to cost but it is one of my favorites in the safe. Next prairie dog shoot in SD it will be on my hip.

DSC04965.jpg