• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns FN Five-Seven explodes

Re: FN Five-Seven explodes

Wow...was that a catastrophic failure. I would think that would have been done with a reload round...probably the double charge like you suspected. I bounce around many sites and that's the first report I've seen.

Sure hope that guy gets patched up...and doesn't have permanent damage.

Wayne

damn. Quite the explosion.

Looks like he said he was switching between reloads and factory and it happened with a factory round. He talked about contacting FNH, but I imagine they are going to balk at the reload stuff.

Figured Id get in on this thread I mean its right up my alley. I have never seen a Kaboom like this on a Five Seven and have had absolutely no problems putting rounds through mine. I had heard of them firing out of battery before but hadnt seen one completely exploded like this. Sure hope everything works out for the guy.

Not the first failure like that I've seen posted about in the FHN forums but the common factor in all of them that I have read about that have touched off like that have been <span style="font-weight: bold">that the user was shooting reloaded ammunition</span>.

I've owned several FiveseveN pistols, both the tactical and the IOM variants and have never had a problem, but then again, I only ever shot factory loaded ammo.

My assumption is that he reloaded a round improperly and it went boom. I assume this because he states that he was switching off using factory Fiocchi ammo and reloads and claimed it was a round of the Fiocchi that blew up. That said, I think he'd be taking care of it in the court of law with Fiocchi and FHN and not the court of public opinion if that were 100% accurate. His medical bills will be sizable and he has a decent amount of recovery ahead of him as well.

Bad deal either way. I think that his statement about shooting reloads will be his undoing though.

Saw thus exact scenario with a Glock at Thunder Ranch, melted a mag well and burnt the shooters hands but not quite as dramatic as above.

I agree that this guy is probably screwed since he was honest and admitted to using handloads. Even if he can prove it was factory ammo that blew up, the factory can claim the weapon was previously weakened by his out of spec handloads. Hopefully they will be good to him, but liability lawyers suck and they have fingers to point at the victim in this case.

Best of luck to him.

Damn.
Looking at the cartridge, it looks like it fired out of battery.
He's lucky he didn't lose fingers but nerve damage is a pain to repair and not always 100% successful. Going to be a long road and I see lots of vicodin in his future.

The handloads are something that won't help, but the weapon firing out of battery isn't exactly the fault of handloads- the weapon should not fire out of battery.

For the sake of the argument couldnt an improperly loaded round cause the gun no to return to battery thus being the fault of the ammo. And the gun firing out of battery isnt something that should happen really but if its only off by a small amount I think most weapons would fire out of battery Im thinking so its not like its a huge design flaw or flaw with only this weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Five7guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the sake of the argument couldnt an improperly loaded round cause the gun no to return to battery thus being the fault of the ammo. And the gun firing out of battery isnt something that should happen really but if its only off by a small amount I think most weapons would fire out of battery Im thinking so its not like its a huge design flaw or flaw with only this weapon. </div></div>

FiveseveN pistols fire out of battery, if only slightly. This has been a fundamental cause for concern with the pistol since forever. That said, I have never had an issue with the pistol but as I stated earlier, I have only ever shot factory loaded ammo. It would seem that the pistol becomes a time bomb when reloaded ammo is used - hence the direction in the factory manual stating that it is warranty voiding to fire reloaded ammo in the pistol.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">He could not have double charged his case</span> , that round normally uses a compressed load. It's just like a .223 , do you think you can double charge a .223 ? noo , you can't , sure you could overpressure it , but double charge ? no

he didn't list his load data, i wonder why...

as for those who blame the reloader , thats a fast cop-out. I blewup a taurus 24/7 45acp with factory ammo awhile ago. Now i bet if i had used handloads , no matter what charge weight i loaded,a handful of you guys would blame me and not the gun wouldn't you ? yes you would.

thats not to say he's not at fault , perhaps he is. That is a hipressure gun that shoots high pressure loads. I could believe he overpressured his ammo. Maybe all his ammo was overpressured and thats just the one that did him in.

or maybe it was a shitty gun , just like mine.

FWIW, the two links above ^ ^ ^ (predator... & spokane...) are the same incident, gun, and poster ("fair chase" and "fairchase"); also note the identical photographs. I pray for speedy and complete recovery for the shooter.

There is a similar incident on another forum from several years ago - the shooter admitted to using handloads. Actually, he posted on many forums his "problem". The bottom line was: the Five-Seven does not fire OOB, and the failure was a result of the handloads. Both of these facts were proven in lab tests. FN duplicated the identical failure in a test gun by taking the shooter's load data and double-charging. The OOB test was conducted using primed cases. I don't recall who performed the OOB test. When I first ran across this incident, I thought, "I'm selling my Five-Seven". After reading the entire thread that went on for many weeks, I have confidence in the weapon.

There are several posts above stating "the Five-Seven fires OOB". Can y'all provide documentation? The results of tests prove the hammer may drop, but the FP safety and hammer geometry prevent the FP from contacting the primer. I will attempt to find the thread on the incident described.

I have a Five-Seven with over 3000 rds of SS197SR and SS195LF (no handloads). There have been no failures (FTFire, FTEj, FTFeed) and no signs of pressure. Maybe I'm lucky, but I doubt it. I do handload a variety of rifle and hangun cartridges, but not 5.7 x 28.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, the two links above ^ ^ ^ (predator... & spokane...) are the same incident, gun, and poster ("fair chase" and "fairchase"); also note the identical photographs. I pray for speedy and complete recovery for the shooter.

There is a similar incident on another forum from several years ago - the shooter admitted to using handloads. Actually, he posted on many forums his "problem". The bottom line was: the Five-Seven does not fire OOB, and the failure was a result of the handloads. Both of these facts were proven in lab tests. FN duplicated the identical failure in a test gun by taking the shooter's load data and double-charging. The OOB test was conducted using primed cases. I don't recall who performed the OOB test. When I first ran across this incident, I thought, "I'm selling my Five-Seven". After reading the entire thread that went on for many weeks, I have confidence in the weapon.

There are several posts above stating "the Five-Seven fires OOB". Can y'all provide documentation? The results of tests prove the hammer may drop, but the FP safety and hammer geometry prevent the FP from contacting the primer. I will attempt to find the thread on the incident described.

I have a Five-Seven with over 3000 rds of SS197SR and SS195LF (no handloads). There have been no failures (FTFire, FTEj, FTFeed) and no signs of pressure. Maybe I'm lucky, but I doubt it. I do handload a variety of rifle and hangun cartridges, but not 5.7 x 28.

Kevin </div></div>
Should have looked at the first post, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> FiveseveN pistols fire out of battery, if only slightly. This has been a fundamental cause for concern with the pistol since forever. That said, I have never had an issue with the pistol but as I stated earlier, I have only ever shot factory loaded ammo. It would seem that the pistol becomes a time bomb when reloaded ammo is used - hence the direction in the factory manual stating that it is warranty voiding to fire reloaded ammo in the pistol.
</div></div>

I think I remember hearing that or something that firing out of battery is a concern with this gun. Ive never had a problem firing many rounds through several five sevens my own and other peoples. I like you though have stuck only to factory loaded ammo. After reading this it sure doesnt make me want to fire reloads through mine though thats for sure.

Handloads or not, the fact remains that this pistol turns into a frag grenade when an out of battery discharge occurs. We've all seen tons of catastrophic failures in just about every make/model of firearm in existance, but these Five Seven pistols in particular have an awful lot of plastic on em, and they seem to like shattering in people's hands when an OOB takes place. Take it with a grain of salt but I've said it before, that handgun has way too much plastic on it to justify a $1k price tag. Handload velocities don't seem to even come close to factory loads, in fact the handload numbers in my reloading book are more reminiscent of hot .22lr loads like the CCI Stinger at 1640fps vs the factory 5.7x28mm loads around 2030fps.
I like this picture, it makes you wonder where the trigger went.

FN-FiveSeven_1.jpg