• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN Mauser help

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I just picked this up at a local gun show and I am interested in finding out exactly what it is.
    20220304_210627.jpg
    20220304_210619.jpg
    20220304_210555.jpg

It's serial is within 50 of a gun I have seen marked as imported by Firearms international, so I know it is early. It is marked .30 EU B.BLINDEE which was a very early mark at FN for 30-06. It is a postwar commercial action and not a sporterized military model. I have seen a bunch of these postwar guns, but never one in this configuration.

Anyone know exactly what this is?

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Not exactly but Interarms imported FN after WW2 and later Zastava actions marked Interarms. It's a very good large ring 98. Looks like a beautiful rifle and more than likely a 30-06. SAs I now see you stated.

Looks nice to me. FN did some different kinds of things when that was built.
    What scope is that on there? Do you think the iron sights on it are original?
    Possibly it came from some place like Kleins or Hurters, or Hunter's Lodge? as a special buy and if the scope fucked up you could take that off and use irons?
    In the days that was built optics were not as trusted as they are now, for good reason, so many rifles were sold with the scope, but, you could take it off and still have the irons and be able to shoot it.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to give for it?
    Does it have the cut out on the left side of the action that your thumb will fit in or is it straight?

The irons appear original with a 3 leaf flip up rear. It has no thumb cut out as it is a commercial action. The serial number is just over 700. I figured for 500 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

Reactions: Foul Mike
    Nice commercial FN... Probably brought in by one of the larger chain stores or maybe a specialty importer like Klein's mentioned above.

Sears sold FN rifles back in the day. Blond stock is very reminiscent of the '50's and early '60's.

It's a beautiful, solid rifle that often goes begging at gun shows, etc. But are stone bargains for the quality of rifle you get!

Congrats and thanks for posting!

Sirhr

Commercial FN. I had one similar in 30-06, nice rifle.

The sears models 50 and 51 were commercial Mauser 98's mad by FN and a real sleepers in terms a great hunting rifle for sometimes a great price, under $400. I think guns that have Sears on them scare people who are not aware of what they are away. I am building a hunting rifle in 280 AI on a Sears Model 50, after I finish up my 9.3 x 62 on a Parker Hale Mauser 98 action. I like hunting with Mausers for a variety of reasons.

Could be a Browning Safari with the scope added on later. Style of the Buttstock say's German. Can you get pics of the scope removed?

It isn't marked browning anywhere. It is the same configuration though.
    I don't think they had "Browning" marked on them. It was kind of a deal like the Higgins or Western Field. Browning could turn these in America pretty easily without a lot of cost and set-up. Typical Browning though, they did provide GREAT QC while these were being manufactured.

Husqvarna also took advantage of these actions, replacing their splendid small ring actions with these because they were so prevalent on the market. With no real loss of quality.

Added: Here's a link to one on GB. Browning is marked on there. I stand corrected.

This is another Browning Safari. Note that it does not have the FN Herstal crest. Makes me think then, that at some time FN imported directly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MK20