• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN PBR XP

Saber329

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Can someone explain the different versions of the FN PBR to me?

Local guy has an XP for sale. I thought I read a thread here, that explained the differences, but failed to bookmark it and can't find it.

FN PBR was the hybrid control round/push feed action (sliding plate extractor), it came only in .308 and with the four round DBM magazine and black Hogue stock.

The FN PBR-XP has the classic, control round feed action with claw extractor. These came with a green Hogue stock, fluted barrels and were available in .300 WSM as well. .308s only with DBM, .300 WSM hinged floorplate magazine only.

Later the PBR-XP was replaced by the FN TSR-XP. These were the same as the PBR-XP but were made in FN's plant in Columbia instead of USRAC and these also have the Winchester MOA trigger instead of the PBRs which had the classic two-lever trigger.

Hope this helps.

AG

FN PBR was the hybrid control round/push feed action (sliding plate extractor), it came only in .308 and with the four round DBM magazine and black Hogue stock.

The FN PBR-XP has the classic, control round feed action with claw extractor. These came with a green Hogue stock, fluted barrels and were available in .300 WSM as well. .308s only with DBM, .300 WSM hinged floorplate magazine only.

Later the PBR-XP was replaced by the FN TSR-XP. These were the same as the PBR-XP but were made in FN's plant in Columbia instead of USRAC and these also have the Winchester MOA trigger instead of the PBRs which had the classic two-lever trigger.

Hope this helps.

AG
Helps tremendously, but...

The fluted barrel is stamped FN Herstal Patrol Bolt Rifle XP 308 Win. It has a hinged floorplate and black Hogue stock. It has the true CRF bolt and for the sake of this conversation, I do know the difference between a CRF-PF, CRF and PF bolt when I see them.

What do you make of the rifle?

Can I still convert the hinged floorplate to a DBM via the CDI (if memory serves) kit?

The FN PBR rifles came with a 1:12" twist; no?

ETA: just seen where CDI is no more. Is there anyone else out there that makes the appropriate bottom metal for the FN to utilize a DBM?

Last edited:
If the barrel is marked as PBR-XP, that is what the barreled action is/was. The twist rate for .308 will be 1:12".

I was mistaken on the magazines for PBR-XP; they were also available with the hinged floorplate magazine in .308 Win. The XPs were not available with the black stock. That suggests that this is a "parts gun" assembled by someone other than FN.

The CRF actions have the larger, non-rotating claw extractor on the right side of the bolt body. It is visible in the ejection port when the bolt is closed. The CRPF had a slding plate extractor that is located in the bolt face, right side bolt lug. Both have the fixed blade ejector mounted to the receiver in the rear receiver ring.

To convert this stock to a DMB of some sort would require machining the floorplate inlet or a different stock. FN offered a TBM (5 and 10 round magazine) kit for DBM rifles (4 round), but they would drop into only the DBM stocks. The hinged floorplate inlet is different.

Midwest Gun Works was selling stocks and TBM kits for these types of rifles a while back, but they are likely out of inventory now. Might be worth a check.

AG

Yea that boat has passed with MWGW. They had stocks, TBM, Rails ect for years before they finally all sold.

For as little as a SPR goes for today (Last A5 is sold went for $1100), skip the PBR and find a SPR. Full blueprinted action with Pre-4 style CRF. They also have chrome lined barrels that are hammers. Some of the best chrome lined barrels ever made.

I had to do some searching because this post reminded me of the good ol days back in 2008.

I bought 2 of the PBR barreled actions in 308 with 24" medium fluted barrels. They shot incredibly well.

cdnnfnop.png

> *CDNN SPORTS, INC.
> WEEKLY GUN SPECIAL
> CALL 800-588-9500 TO ORDER NOW
> SALE EXPIRES TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 9TH @ 7PM CST!
>
> LAST CHANCE FOR THESE LOW PRICES!
>
> FREE SHIPPING ON FN BOLT ACTION RIFLES!
>
> FREE 1"/30MM TACTICAL RINGS #TAR80 WITH EACH RIFLE OR ACTION PURCHASE!
>
> FN BOLT ACTION RIFLES:
>
> *FN PBR 308 18" Heavy Barrel Detachable Mag Black Synthetic Stock ·
> New · Bolt Action Rifle #FN21850 *CDNN PRICE $599.99** DISTRIBUTOR
> WHOLESALE PRICE $859.63*
>
> FN PBR 308 20" Heavy Barrel Detachable Mag Black Synthetic Stock · New
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21851 *CDNN PRICE $599.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $859.63*
>
> FN PBR 308 22" Heavy Barrel Detachable Mag Black Synthetic Stock · New
> · Bolt Action Rifle #FN21852 *CDNN PRICE $599.99 **DISTRIBUTOR
>
> FN PBR 308 24" Heavy Barrel Detachable Mag Black Synthetic Stock · New
> · Bolt Action Rifle #FN21853 *CDNN PRICE $599.99 **DISTRIBUTOR
>
> FN PBR 308 16" Heavy Barrel Det. Mag w/Muzzle Black Syn. Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21854 *CDNN PRICE $699.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE > PRICE $964.47*
>
> FN PBR 308 18" Heavy Barrel Det.Mag w/Muzzle Black Syn.Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21855 *CDNN PRICE $699.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $964.47*
>
> FN PBR XP 308 20" Fluted Detachable Mag Green Synthetic Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21856 *CDNN PRICE $699.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $999.00*
>
> FN PBR XP 308 20" Fluted Floorplate Green Synthetic Stock · New · Bolt
> Action Rifle #FN21857 *CDNN PRICE $789.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE
> PRICE $1052.03*
>
> FN PBR XP 308 24" Fluted Detachable Mag Green Synthetic Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21858 *CDNN PRICE $699.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $999.00*
>
> FN PBR XP 300WSM 24" Fluted Floorplate Green Synthetic Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21860 *CDNN PRICE $789.99** DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $1052.03*
>
> FN PBR XP 308 20" Fluted Detachable Mag Black Synthetic Stock · New ·
> Bolt Action Rifle #FN21864 *CDNN PRICE $699.99 **DISTRIBUTOR WHOLESALE PRICE $999.00*
>
> *FN ACTIONS ONLY: *
>
> FN SPR Action Only 270wsm, 300wsm, 325wsm Claw Extractor · New
> #FN21839 *CDNN PRICE $399.99*
>
> FN PBR Barrel Action Only 308 20" Fluted Detachable Mag Positive Feed
> · New #FN21861 *CDNN PRICE $449.99*
>
> FN PBR XP Barrel Action Only 300WSM 24" Fluted Floorplate · New
> #FN21863 *CDNN PRICE $499.99*

Helps tremendously, but...

The fluted barrel is stamped FN Herstal Patrol Bolt Rifle XP 308 Win. It has a hinged floorplate and black Hogue stock. It has the true CRF bolt and for the sake of this conversation, I do know the difference between a CRF-PF, CRF and PF bolt when I see them.

What do you make of the rifle?

Can I still convert the hinged floorplate to a DBM via the CDI (if memory serves) kit?

The FN PBR rifles came with a 1:12" twist; no?

ETA: just seen where CDI is no more. Is there anyone else out there that makes the appropriate bottom metal for the FN to utilize a DBM?
I recently bought a PBR, paid 1K cash for it. Was in excellent condition. Mine came with the green hogue stock and factory DBM. My smith bedded it in a McMillan HTG stock I got from MGW. Took a bit of fiddling to get the right combo of mag box, spring and follower.
If you get it, and want the DBM, and stock, I'd swap you, etc.

I'm not the shooter the guys here are, but I'm happy with how it shoots

You paid about $500 too much. They were $7-800 when new and didnt sell for shit, hence them being discontinued.

The DBM system sucks. The mags are junk. The only viable system was to get CDI bottom metal and the action cut, or the TBM system which was a drop in replacement for the DBM. I converted a bunch of the rifles, and they all feed better with the TBM.

Reactions: R Moran
You paid about $500 too much. They were $7-800 when new and didnt sell for shit, hence them being discontinued.

The DBM system sucks. The mags are junk. The only viable system was to get CDI bottom metal and the action cut, or the TBM system which was a drop in replacement for the DBM. I converted a bunch of the rifles, and they all feed better with the TBM.
Perhaps, but, I had checked on line and didn't see but one PBR, asking about that IIRC. Hell, I think I even asked around here. What guns originally sold for doesn't always mean anything when talking about current value/asking price.
I already had the stock and the hinged floorplate from PT&G(?) sitting around. The seller was local and met me at my smiths shop, who checked it out thoroughly .

Understand on the DBM, I had an original SPR in the HS stock with the DBM and I didn't care for it. I went with the hinged bottom metal to avoid all the issues of available and compatible mags, among other reasons

Reactions: JINKSTER