• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FN pistols?

mike1128

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2008
Mississippi
Trying to decide between an FNP .45 and a five-seven pistol. Anyone have and experience with either?

Re: FN pistols?

Nope, but I highly suggest buying a CRAPLOAD of 5-7 ammo..........before it's totally banned.

I didn't think much of them till I took some FNPs to the range and was pleasantly surprised. I like it alot. Very accurate. Great ergonomics and controls. Nice balance. Would recommend.

Shot a buddy's five-seven last year.Had almost no recoil,but it was loud.It has an annoying report similar to a 22 mag.But it was cool shooting it out past 50 yards with the 20 and 30rd mags.I read an interesting write up on the cartridge in American Handgunner a while back that was pretty illuminating.Evidently,most of the ballistic feats the round accomplished were out of the carbine,such as penetrating a kevlar helmet at distance.But the author noted that in the pistol,the velocity drops off dramatically,in fact,he compared it to that of a 22 magnum from a rifle.With the way Glocks are priced,I have a tough time seeing how any polymer handgun is worth over a grand,(almost $1200.00 in my area)

I have the FNP-45. It is accurate and cheap to shoot. It also comes with three 14 round magazines. I think I paid about $580 for mine. My old man bought one with the stainless slide. I still haven't found a holster for mine. I don't think they are popular enough yet to have a variety of holsters available.

I think I'm going to go with the FNP 45, as two shoes PMed me and swayed my mind about the availablity of the ammo. Also the bad image it has because of the military round, even though this can not be purchased by civilians...plus I also own a .45 Kimber and ammo is somewhat cheap. Would also suck if it was banned and would be out $1100. Thanks for your help.

I owned the FIveseveN and it is fun to shoot but very ugly and has a cheap feel to it. It also has the hotly debated issue that it could fire out of battery. I tried the tests and what I learned was conclusive enough for me to sell it. The 5.7X28mm round does better out of a 16" barrel anyway.

That said, I love the way the FNP 45 looks and feels, but never bought one because
I went the 1911 route. I'd go with the FNP45 over the Fiveseven without hesitation.

*on a side note, did FN change the design on the FNP 45 to have a fully supported chamber?

if your considering going with the fnp you might want to look into the problems they have with the firecontrol housing cracking. I had a fnp forty which it the fnp9 and the fnp45 are all designed the same way. If you field strip it and look at the hammer assembly you will see the the force of the decocker is beared by the relativly weak plastic in the rear housing. the assembly is also heavly supported by the magazine. fn acknowledges this problem and will replace it at no charge, however after I paid the gd $50 ups bill to ship it to them.... I traded it towards a xdm 40 when i got it back. haven't looked back since. just my .02