• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FN PSR III

fz4vgq

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Can anyone tell me if FN ever released the PSR 3 rifle ? I don't see it on their website and I don't know of anyone or any stores that got one.

Thanks,
Fz

1300985151.png

Re: FN PSR III

these showed up in the 2009 catalog but disappeared after that. Probably the price point between the TSR and SPR didn't make sense to carry this model.

I love FN products but their marketing is very weak. It doesn't suprise me that there are modles out that have little exposure. I am sort of thinking about one of their 223s but will not pay for one in one of those cheap ass rubber coated stocks.

Unfortunately, the PSR line never made it out of the 2009 catalog. With a change in leadership just before the time of phasing it in and scaling back the bolt-gun line because of the economy, the PSR was dropped before it ever went to market. The target market was between the TSR and SPR in price and performance.

FNH is always looking to expand its line of firearms, but must balance that desire with realities of the market and the economy. Ultimately, the customer has the last word, and they speak with their pocket book. That's the hard reality of capitalism. In the long run, it the best solution for all as well.

What about the PSR concept do you like (of what you know about it)? What about the SPR line do you like? What about the TSR line do you like? Or dislike? What about another company's products do you like and made you consider them over an FN?

I'm all ears (or eyes, as this is a forum).

Semper fidelis,

I love that the SPR uses a pre-'64 M70 action. Its the whole reason I bought an action from CDNN to build on. Having a rail included with the receiver is definitely a bonus and adds to the value.

You guys should consider making a long action version of the SPR action. I've been getting the itch for a long action .284 build...

As far your factory rifles, perhaps you could make fluted barrels an option on all the models since some shooters aren't a fan of it. And stainless steel barrels might go a long way too. Although I've heard good things about the chrome lined barrels on SPR's, I know there are people who doubt the accuracy potential of a chromed bore.

I am a huge fan of FN/Winchester products and have 1 safe dedicated to just them. I got my first SPR in 04 I believe. I have been hearing rumors of an FN bottom metal that would hold a new FN version 5 and 10 round magizine. I dont remember how many times I have heard next year, next year. Is there actually going to be one that is available for retrofit to existing rifles?

Yep, a pre-64 type long action with a picatinny rail would be great! Have it available in standard long action calibers (.30-06, .270 Win, 280 Rem, etc.) and magnum long action calibers (.300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, etc.) and they would sell very well. I look forward to building one of these tack drivers!

Having factory bottom metal that will take AICS mags would be nice. I'm sure the FN mags work but they're not widely available and being limited to 4 rounds won't cut it for some. I had my SPR modified to accept the CDI Precision bottom metal.

Consistent sales of the actions only would be good as well, like those that CDNN was selling

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vereceleritas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having factory bottom metal that will take AICS mags would be nice. I'm sure the FN mags work but they're not widely available and being limited to 4 rounds won't cut it for some. I had my SPR modified to accept the CDI Precision bottom metal.</div></div>

The new mag system that FNH has produced for their SPR rifles is a fine piece of work. While it utilizes proprietary mags, it is head and shoulders above their old DBM system. I've seen it in person, and it feeds like it has eyes. FNH did a very good job with their mag system.

I am looking forward to the time that FNH puts together a factory SPR .260, bedded at the factory, with the appropriate twist and barrel length, that utilizes their new mag system. A chrome lined .260, with 1/2 moa accuracy would be a great competition gun.

I'm going to second the thought of just selling the actions. I really believe that if you sell the actions only you will pick up more customers than you would if they only have the option of buying the whole rifle. And if buying the whole rifle would be the only option than most people will hunt around for a used, beat up one and buy that from a private sale and you guys would still miss out on that money.

I would also request that if you guys did sell these as actions only, than keep the price reasonable like they were from CDNN. You don't have to include bottom metal either, because honestly most people trashed the factory stuff and went after market. Including that scope base though was a great idea on your part.

I'll also second the L/A action. There are a lot of guys out there, not really on this sight, that will only use a hunting rifle with the claw extractor. So again unless they are buying a used winnie, or spending an unholy amount on a dakota action, all they have left is the substandard offerings from the Montana actions.

If FNH is listening; How about a Build Your Rifle ala cart program.

The customer can buy:
1) Action Only(SA/LA, 0.473"/0.532" boltface) w/ 20MOA Picatinny Rail (Near Mfg GTG)
2) Add Bottom metal if desired (DBM or FP) (AICS Mag compatible preferred)
3) Chambered Barreled (offer two profiles in popular chambers) (ie: a Barreled Action)
4) Stock (Hogue, Manners, McMillan, etc)

Once you place the order and give your FFL info, 2-4 weeks later it shows up at the FFL.

Benefits:
1) Reduced inventory
2) Customer gets what they want and nothing more.
3) Dealers can still order/stock complete rifles in the configuration THEY believe will sell to THEIR market.

Cons:
1) It doesn't use the Henry Ford mfg model.
2) Does complicate the barreling set up slightly. But can be addressed with good SQC and setup.

I don't think that a 2-4 week turn around is feasible with a McMillan or Manners stock unless they only offered 1 or 2 models and the barrel contour / channel never changed.... but then our wait time for mcmillan or manners would sky rocket....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think that a 2-4 week turn around is feasible with a McMillan or Manners stock unless they only offered 1 or 2 models and the barrel contour / channel never changed.... but then our wait time for mcmillan or manners would sky rocket.... </div></div>

2-4 week turn around was for the action or barreled action only. If they were to offer Manners/McMillan then it would have to be a very limited selection and leadtimes would increase accordingly.

Someone that really wants a custom stock, will order that on their own and it would be nice to be able to just buy what they need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to second the thought of just selling the actions.</div></div>

Third! Trued or untrued, rail or not, CDNN pricing was awesome. Also want a SPR long too.

I'm kicking myself for only buying one from CDNN. So are we all agreed FN needs to start making L/A SPR's and sell the actions only for under $500?
wink.gif

Good feedback. Lots of good ideas, nothing new to me, just comfirming my thoughts and feelings.

1. Long action SPR.
2. Actions only.
3. DBM with higher capacity.

FNH is not in the custom rifle business, so a la carte probably would not work. Making rifles that perform at custom level is one of FNH's objectives. Producing rifles with specific features that the market, as a whole, wants is more realistic.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the PSR concept do you like (of what you know about it)? What about the SPR line do you like? What about the TSR line do you like? Or dislike? What about another company's products do you like and made you consider them over an FN?

I'm all ears (or eyes, as this is a forum).

Semper fidelis,</div></div>

Mr. Voss, what I believe was very appealing to alot of people looking at the PSR line was the stock options. I have a A3G, which I absolutley love, and off the bench it is awesome, but for me at least it does not lend itself well to field/hunting use. I did use it to hunt antelope this past August, but its weight, and particulary the size of the stock (namely the butt stock) made it less than ideal for this application. So, even before my hunt, I have been in the market for a second rifle. Yes, I could go out and buy any XYZ name brand light hunting rifle, but I am not interested in a rifle that I will simply use to hunt with once a year (if I get luckly enough to draw a tag) and shoot maybe 5 rounds thru it in a 12 month period. I want a dual purpose precision rifle. One that gives me for the most part the look and feel of a hunting rifle, but gives me the enjoyment and ability to use it for precision target shooting the other 11 months out of the year. Now I realize mixing the two will have some draw backs on both sides. It will have to have a heavier contour barrel for the precision side of things, this will obviously add weight that you wont find in many hunting rifles, and the stock wont be what some consider optimal for bench and target shooting, i.e. no butt hook, or big fat butt stock to slide your rear bag around under.

You will find this "mix" if I can call it that, surprisingly popular however. Just look at how many original M40 fans you will find on this and other sites and every shooting range in America. While the PSR line was canceled, below are links to several posts of peoples rifles built off FN actions that very much replicate what you were going to offer, and this is just what I could find in 5 minutes on one website.

1. Almost exactly like the PSR III minus the fluting
2. Pictures on bottom half of page
3. Very similar to PSR III but with 20 inch barrel
4. Incomplete, but you can see the stock he selected for it
5. Very first photo

The point is, I think your PSR line should be offered. And you can keep it alot simpler by just cutting the "PSR" right out of it. Why set up an entirely new line of rifles when you could just add a simple stock option to your existing line? The PSR I, and PSR II at least in appearance, seemed no more than to be your TSR upgraded from the Hogue stock (that many people are not a fan of) to a McMillan M40A-1. Just add a third TSR and give it an extra letter (TSR XPH?) and offer it in the McMillan. Of course it will be more expensive than the other 2, but I believe people will love it because it saves them the hassel of replacing the Hogue stock (which it appears many do). The same could be applied to the SPR line. While the A3G would obviously be left alone, and I believe the entire appeal of the A5's are in fact the stock, you could simply expand the A1 line. Once agian, give it an extra letter (A1H, A1AH?) and offer both the 24 and 20 inch in either the standard big butted stock, or the M40A-1 (or whatever particular general purpose stocks the PSR's where in). If the price of the stock is a little more, raise MSRP on them, if they are cheaper, lower MSRP. The benefit here would be more selection for the customer, and for FN an appearance of having a fuller line, and all you guys have to do is slap the exact same rifles in a different stock from the same company you do business with anyway. No different name to mill on the side, no different promotions, no different owners manuel to make. Just like you can get the A1 with a 20 or 24 inch barrel, offer them in an A1 or M40 stock. No need to change anything at all with the barreled actions, just drop them in either stock #1 or #2 at the end of the assembly line. With the PSR line gone, my next rifle (once I can get an action) is going to be very much like #3 above. Essentially a PSR III with a 20 inch barrel. A short, handy, precision .308 with a "hunting" stock. That is of course, unless a factory FN option becomes available first;)

i really do like the FN line of bolt guns, for my two most recent builds, i was looking on going long action (300wm,338lm) and FN wasnt an option, i went remington 700 for the 300 and surgeon for the 338lm as FNH wasnt an option.

i would love to see you guys put out a long action, maybe somthing in a configuration simalar to remingtons SPS tactical.

cheep, but usable houge stock
heavier barrel contour, so a rebarrel would not be needed for long range stuff

the big problem i have with remingtons sps line is, if going for a long action, its only availible with a hunting barrel and cheep scope, the sps tac on the other hand has a slightly better stock, but only availible in short action

i think remington has the right idea, i.e putting out a base rifle/barrel action that can be built around.

i can see FNH doing well offering somthing along those lines.

think long action and heavier barrel

Tengo1 echo'd my thoughts exactly. If a SPR was offered with a slightly lighter barrel contour and a HTG stock, I'd be looking for a second job to pay for it.

Tengo1, Winchester makes just about any hunting type rifle you could ever need. They have the same action as the SPR and PBR and are owned by the same company.....FN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tengo1, Winchester makes just about any hunting type rifle you could ever need. They have the same action as the SPR and PBR and are owned by the same company.....FN </div></div>

Not all Winchesters are controlled round feed, though all the "new" ones are, so as long as you are talking new then you'd get it but buying a used one is caveat emptor. Just an FYI for those who didn't know.

What I would build, given the opportunity:

*CRF action in .300 WSM (or in .308 if that's your flavor)
*20 MOA steel picatinny rail
*Heavy barrel with serious fluting (ala PSR series)
*Threaded 5/8 x 24 w/ protector
*adj. MCM a5, 3 bottom studs, & left side flush cups
*AICS compatible bottom metal, such as CDI or badger

Just my .02, but it would be nice to combine a few of the nice features from a couple of the lines with a few of the most popular options that are "aftermarket" favorites. Having a factory threaded barrel would rock, it would play to the same market as Remmy's 700 AAC-SD, but with a much more precision feel having the MCM stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tengo1, Winchester makes just about any hunting type rifle you could ever need. They have the same action as the SPR and PBR and are owned by the same company.....FN </div></div>

Yes, I know all that, but as I said above I am not looking for a hunting rifle. I am look for a precision/tactical rifle that can double for a hunting rifle when I need it to. All of Winchesters current crop of Model 70's are all your standard, pencil barreled hunting rifles. The only one that comes close to what I want is the "Coyote Light"

Winchesters current Model 70 selection here

Now the Stealth II .308 coyote rifles Winchester made right before they closed up shop in New Haven were awesome, but they are hard to find anymore and have a 26 inch barrel. I'm looking for something with a 20 inch. Along the lines of the SPS tactical, but with a better stock and a Winchester/FN claw extractor action.

im gonna throw my vote in for a long action, 10 round mags, and actions only offerings. i like my stock mag, it works wells. but i cant seat the projos long at all. but a factory 10 round would be better than the 4 since i have a good load for mag length, i could live with it for a reasonable price.

FN shooters and enthusiasts: excellent comments.

What would be a "reasonable price" for a steel trigger guard assembly and two magazine (5 and 10 round)kit that drops right into your DBM outfitted SPR/PBR/TSR? No need for modifying or inletting. Seriously.

Thinking of .308 Winchester length cartridges only, what are your top picks for SPR and TSR chamberings in addition to the .308?

If you were to pick one in a short action: .260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmore? Why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN shooters and enthusiasts: excellent comments.

What would be a "reasonable price" for a steel trigger guard assembly and two magazine (5 and 10 round)kit that drops right into your DBM outfitted SPR/PBR/TSR? No need for modifying or inletting. Seriously.

Thinking of .308 Winchester length cartridges only, what are your top picks for SPR and TSR chamberings in addition to the .308?

If you were to pick one in a short action: .260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmore? Why?

</div></div>

About $350 would be reasonable. Depends on the quality of the mags and how much they are going to be ala cart.

.260Rem with 8.5" twist 24" barrel
.243Win with 8" twist 24" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Action Guy said:
About $350 would be reasonable.

.260Rem with 8.5" twist 24" barrel
.243Win with 8" twist 24" barrel </div></div>

What he said. Both can be had off the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN shooters and enthusiasts: excellent comments.

</div></div>

$350 is reasonable if it includes two magazines like you mentioned. Keep in mind you'll be competing with Jeff at CDI Precision. The problem is, the SPR action has to be modified slightly to fit AICS mags so a factory DBM would have an advantage there.

.243 and .260 would be you best bet for factory chamberings on a .308 bolt face. IMHO 6.5 Creedmoor and 7-08 aren't going to sell as many but I know there are plenty of people on this site who would disagree with me.

I wish FN would produce a CRF .223, preferably with a chrome lined barrel like the SPR. Surely FN has a few chrome lined .223 barrels lying around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vereceleritas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN shooters and enthusiasts: excellent comments.

</div></div>

$350 is reasonable if it includes two magazines like you mentioned. Keep in mind you'll be competing with Jeff at CDI Precision. <span style="font-weight: bold">The problem is, the SPR action has to be modified slightly to fit AICS mags</span> so a factory DBM would have an advantage there.

.243 and .260 would be you best bet for factory chamberings on a .308 bolt face. IMHO 6.5 Creedmoor and 7-08 aren't going to sell as many but I know there are plenty of people on this site who would disagree with me. </div></div>

FHN should stop trying to reinvent the wheel, trying to develop a proprietary DBM system. Cut the action from the factory to take AICS mags, then use "FN branded", CDI Precision manufactured bottom metal.

Everyone wins.

FNH has considered many magazine assemblies before the TBM was developed, including CDI's. Some things to consider:

If an existing magazine design was used, such as AI, FNH would not have control over the quality of the aftermarket magazines that might find their way into the rifles, possibly causing feeding issues, which FNH would likely have to resolve.

The TBM allows existing magazine/receiver relationship to be the same from the hinged floor plate to the DBM to the TBM. Making an AI specific receiver would increase manufacturing inventory requirements and subassemblies, which increases cost. If a single receiver can be made for all three magazine assemblies FNH offers, it reduces the cost of all of them.

The plan is to ultimately offer the TBM as a kit so FN DBM owners don't have to modify their receivers to accept the TBM. As it is, it is a "drop-in" conversion. If FNH went with an AI system, the customer would have to modify the receiver. FNH would lose one advantage over our aftermarket competitors. The TBM also will fit unmodified M-70 short action receivers as well, but their stocks would need to be modified.

Further, by designing a proprietary magazine system, FNH can design and make a new system that reflects the goals of the product line and the newest ideas and operating designs. If we recycle the existing, sometimes we don't move forward.

Existing magazines have some advantages, like being readliy available on the after market at a reduced cost. Customers may already own many of them, which further reduces the end cost of a new rifle to the customer. One must balance these advantages with a system that tries to be a "one size fits all" solution, which only may only fill all these roles to a less than ideal level. The AI is designed for the AI receiver, not the SPR/M-70. In AIs, it is flawless. The TBM, and the DBM before it, are designed for the SPR/M-70. In those receivers, they are flawless.

Keep the comments coming. Hope to see some of you at Rifle Only this week.

Semper Fidelis,

Regarding magazines - what ever you do, please do NOT make the Sako TRG mistake. Sure they are awesome mags, but those mags are so over priced as to eliminate the rifle from my "want to own" list.

I would love to see a target/tactical long action version of your rifles. Bell and Carlson are putting out some excellent stocks these days so put those two together. I wouldn't worry about trying to get McMillan or Manners stocks for your target rifles as that would have negative side effects.

One, it would make buying you product out or reach for the average tactical shooter.

Two, it would cause serious delays in delivery times. That's a kiss of death when Rems, Savages are readily available.

Third, a lot of guys want to buy a rifle that they can take to the range that day, and then upgrade as their finances allow them to.

Make the initial sale, get guys invested in your action. The rest will fall in line.

My opinion? Sell me the entire rifle on some cheap tupperware stock with a cheap barrel. Unless you are using a hand lapped single point cut rifled barrel, I'm going to be throwing the factory barrel in the recycle bin.

I send the action, trigger and bottom metal to my gunsmith where the rifle is rebuilt from the ground up using the barrel and stock of my choice.

By the way, this is exactly what I used to do with Remington 700 actions when I could buy a "youth sporter" rifle from walmart for $375-$425. I am not suggesting that you try to meet that price, but you get the idea of that process.

LONG actions, built STRONG and reliable for precision shooting.

Since you're asking,
A LEFT HAND 24" A5M with TBM would complete my universe and save me from spending imaginary $$$ on a dream GAP custom.
I know, dream on... right?
That said, my A1 is keeping me real happy.