• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN Scar 17s Optic Choice?

Makeshift Mando

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2020
New Hampshire
The Scar 17 is infamous for killing optics so which one is the right choice? The Elcan 1.5-6 is a nice rigid option but it seems like the theres a cap on range and adjustablity. LPVO 1-6/8/10 is a considerable choice but I feel like I either use 1 or 6/8/10 on my current LPVO and nothing in between. I've been thinking of a 2-10 optic with a top/side mounted T2 but can't find any worth giving a shot.

For those Scar owners out there, what optic did you go with and have you noticed any pros/cons of your current set up? Post pictures if you got em!

Never had an optic fail on any of my scars, the elcan was nice but seemed antiquated for me with the power limitations, currently have razor gen 3 1-10 and seems to be a perfect fit. I would consider an atacr, razor 3, for sure. If you like the 2.5-10 the nxs is still a great option and has some advantages the others dont as well.

Reactions: Makeshift Mando
Never had an optic fail on any of my scars, the elcan was nice but seemed antiquated for me with the power limitations, currently have razor gen 3 1-10 and seems to be a perfect fit. I would consider an atacr, razor 3, for sure. If you like the 2.5-10 the nxs is still a great option and has some advantages the others dont as well.
I have been looking into the Trijicon Credo or the NSX. Razor seems like a great fit but I have some hesitation to buy it. Is it worth the price?

Yea id say its worth it. It has its pros/cons vs the atacr 1-8 but its a solid choice that will stay a top option for a long time. I can confidently most dont have buyers regret with either. It was a little closer in price to the NXS before vortex did the $500 jump this year. Liberty optics has great deals i got 2 from scott over there. Im in the same boat between the credo and the nxs 2.5-10 for a spr, after alot of research ive decided to just go NXS.

Yea id say its worth it. It has its pros/cons vs the atacr 1-8 but its a solid choice that will stay a top option for a long time. I can confidently most dont have buyers regret with either. It was a little closer in price to the NXS before vortex did the $500 jump this year. Liberty optics has great deals i got 2 from scott over there. Im in the same boat between the credo and the nxs 2.5-10 for a spr, after alot of research ive decided to just go NXS.
The vortex price increase is definitely making me consider other options. I was thinking NXS as well, but i wanted to poke around at other options. One other scope I have been interested in is the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS, but they are hard to come by.

Yea, i dont have any time on one. I have a fair amount on the atacr and rzr 3s. The razors can still be had under or around 2 in the px or on tacswap. Im currently looking for a used nxs 2.5-10 mrad

I have a NF NXS 1-8 on mine. Started with an Elcan and loved the image quality but wasnt a fan of the rest.

The Scar 17 is infamous for killing optics so which one is the right choice? The Elcan 1.5-6 is a nice rigid option but it seems like the theres a cap on range and adjustablity. LPVO 1-6/8/10 is a considerable choice but I feel like I either use 1 or 6/8/10 on my current LPVO and nothing in between. I've been thinking of a 2-10 optic with a top/side mounted T2 but can't find any worth giving a shot.

For those Scar owners out there, what optic did you go with and have you noticed any pros/cons of your current set up? Post pictures if you got em!
I made a similar thread about this, but more focused on the mount which I think is most important. I am using a vortex 4-16 ffp db tactical + ARMS #72 mount as I think its all the scope youll ever need out to 1000 yds potentially. I like to add about 1x per every 100 yds. Also if you are using an MRAD reticle 16x is the max magnification you can be at where you can see all 10 of you milliradian holdover hash marks. Any magnification above 16 like the db tactical 6-24 will start cutting off your holdover marks especially at 24x where you will only be able to see 4 mrads below your crosshair.

If you have the money the schmidt and bender HK G28 optic that comes factory with an aimpoint T1 hood mount on top is really nice.

Not trying to be another shameless poverty stricken vortex plug here but they are hard to beat for the money.

I made a similar thread about this, but more focused on the mount which I think is most important. I am using a vortex 4-16 ffp db tactical + ARMS #72 mount as I think its all the scope youll ever need out to 1000 yds potentially. I like to add about 1x per every 100 yds. Also if you are using an MRAD reticle 16x is the max magnification you can be at where you can see all 10 of you milliradian holdover hash marks. Any magnification above 16 like the db tactical 6-24 will start cutting off your holdover marks especially at 24x where you will only be able to see 4 mrads below your crosshair.

If you have the money the schmidt and bender HK G28 optic that comes factory with an aimpoint T1 hood mount on top is really nice.

Not trying to be another shameless poverty stricken vortex plug here but they are hard to beat for the money.
I love the PMII but it'sa very expensive scope and id rather spend the money on something else. Vortex has great scopes but i think im looking for something a little more high end with more features.

After some thought Leupold Mark 5HD would be a great option. Its compact and has high magnification. I'm really trying to go for a Recce build for the scar.

I love the PMII but it'sa very expensive scope and id rather spend the money on something else. Vortex has great scopes but i think im looking for something a little more high end with more features.

After some thought Leupold Mark 5HD would be a great option. Its compact and has high magnification. I'm really trying to go for a Recce build for the scar.
I really want to like Leupold scopes but i find most of them to have terrible eye relief or exit pupil (or both). Im setting up my new SCAR but ironically as of writing this post ive jumped ship from vortex to swfa based on recommendations from ppl on here

I really want to like Leupold scopes but i find most of them to have terrible eye relief or exit pupil (or both). Im setting up my new SCAR but ironically as of writing this post ive jumped ship from vortex to swfa based on recommendations from ppl on here
The Scar is definitely a tough gun to pick the right scope for. Especially if you want to try to get everything out of the 308.

Ive had, eotech, pst 4-16, accupower 1-8, elcan 1/4, razor gen 3 1-10. The 1-10 definitely feels like im getting the most out of my rifle.

IMG_20220408_203550.jpg
IMG_20220408_203159.jpg

Heres mine with an swfa 12x i just got today