• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SLP

jerpil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but Am contemplating on purchasing a FN SLP(shotgun)to use for a 3 gun comp.
Does anyone here have any experience with SLPs in competition?
Please share your thoughts. thanks...

Re: FN SLP

I have one and love it. Only recommendation it to get the shell lifter welded up so you don't get your thumb caught on reloads.

I have posted this same comment before on the SLP (and the Mark 1)...in short, I have nothing but extremely positive experiences with both (just depends on whether you want/need the 18" or the 22" model).

I have owned both the 18" and the 22" versions and they just plain shoot anything and everything from low-recoil buck shot/slugs and lightweight birdshot loads through the heaviest of 3" mags and everything in between. Patterning with the 18" barrel, using any Federal Flite-Control wadded tactical 00 Buck is excellent and really turns this shotgun into a precision instrument. Performance with slugs out to 75yds is also excellent. The patterns with the 22" barrel are, as you'd expect, just as good if not slightly edging out the shorter model.

For 3-gun, I'd personally opt for the Mark 1 or the Competition version because of: 1) increased capacity (8+1 vs. only 6+1 with 2 3/4 shells); 2) longer barrel (this comes in handy for several reasons, but it really balances the gun just about perfectly for me, cuts down on recoil, offers a longer sight radius, etc.); and 3) the 22" SLP, at least to me, as less felt recoil than comparable Benelli, Remington and other common semi-auto guns which makes for an all-around better gun for speed/accuracy.

As for "drawbacks"...the only thing that I can say in regards to the Mark 1 vs. the Tactical is that I MUCH PREFER the ghost ring sights on the Tactical to the flip-up/foldable iron on the Mark 1. This is not a big issue depending on whether you will be mounting optics...dep. on what class you are shooting, but something to consider. The sights work just fine...I just prefer a different setup.

I use my FN SLP 22" in 3 gun about 8 times per year and love it. Only shotugun I have ever owned and I have no want for another.

Been running one for couple of years (liekly 2500 plus rds throiugh it min)and I am glad I bought it! I shoot 1 to 2 3 gun matches a month and often let someone on my squad also run mine and never had a malfunction. I am an FFL and noticed dealer cost went up $100.00 per from 12/10 to 1/11 which allmost never happens which means to me the secret is out how well they run. The fact that they are 500+ less than a Benelli which functions no better is a perk. I would confirm if you get your thumb caught before welding as it seems that not everyone has the issue (but a lot do)

Get the mossberg 930 SPX. Pretty much the same weapon and you dont have to change the (I forgot what its called) to shot low brass or high brass. I have both and thats the only thing i hate about the FN. Always I have in now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the mossberg 930 SPX. Pretty much the same weapon and you dont have to change the (I forgot what its called) to shot low brass or high brass. I have both and thats the only thing i hate about the FN. Always I have in now? </div></div>

I have to disagree with this statement. I own a 930SPX and while I have several thousand trouble-free rounds through it incl. cheap wally world bulk pack bird shot though 3" Mag slugs, it is NOT the level of quality found on the FN SLP series guns. The stocks/forends, barrels, extension tubes, trigger/fire-control mechanisms, etc. are all vastly superior in overall quality and construction on the FN SLP. The FN's cycling rate is MUCH faster than the Mossberg, which combined with the FN's vastly better recoil makes for an excellent, quick competition gun. The FN comes threaded for Invector tubes (the Mossy has a basic, unthreaded cylinder bore barrel which you can have threaded for thin-wall tubes, but still pales in comparison to the FN). Finally, with the Mark 1, you get better capacity with the FN than you do with the Mossy which makes for a better competition gun IMO.

Now, obviously the price tag on the Mossy is better at only around $625 or so (I got mine back when they were <$550) compared to the FN at roughly $1k, but like all things in this business...you get what you pay for!!

Make no mistakes that I think the Mossy is a good shotgun and for the money, is tough to beat...but it is, in NO WAY, in the same class as the FN!

Yeah, what he said! Also, I don't think you <span style="text-decoration: underline">have</span> to change the gas piston to shoot different loads, it's more of a recoil/cycling management thing. I run the heavy piston all the time. Then again, the lightest load I run is a 3" turkey load.
Switching pistons takes 2-3 minutes and does not require any tools.

1911fan

I never change my piston and have run it with bird to buck to slugs in 3 Gun. Went and practived today ran 100 rds through it and let other folks drive it during practice proabably another 75 plus rounds. Ran like a champ

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one and love it. Only recommendation it to get the shell lifter welded up so you don't get your thumb caught on reloads. </div></div>

Good deal, jerpil!! Once you get it in hand and have a chance to get it out to the range, be sure to post a report. I am sure you'll really like owning the SLP Mk1 and that it will serve your 3-gun needs VERY well!!