• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing fn spr action

Re: fn spr action

lots of people are doing the M700 style action build when CDNN blew out all those PBR actions

they make a very sturdy action with many stocks for as well as barrels and gun smiths.

not as many modifications like a remmy but the control feel is nice

CDI also makes a bottom metal to use AICS mags

my only issue with the SPR build is i cannot get an AICS chasis and thats the reason im going to sell my SPR shortly

love them

AJBFN001.jpg

I'm doing a build for a customer, using one of these, and I have to say that I'm impressed. This action was very square and had almost 100% lug contact when I pulled it down. The CDI bottom metal and DBM requires some maching but otherwise looks to be a great aftermarket accessory.

I'd have 4 of them right now if I didn't succumb to that evil temptress M2008. She sang me onto the rocks and I ended up scraping two of the FN builds in favor of BO's lure of untold happiness...

Love my FN. Mine is factory but I am sure it would be great to build custom off of.

I'm with mtm about an AICS setup. It would be a nice option to have (not that my A5 isn't great). My question is can it dimensionally be done? That is can a chassis be machined and the skins be put on like Roedale has done for the Tikka and Howa. I even seem to remember him pondering the idea.

I would think it could be done. I would think if FN owners got a little vocal and showed there was a market, someone would make us one.

How bout it CDI, Seekins, Roedale... We'll buy it if you make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S2CPitts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">19Scout,
Who made that barrel? Looks real nice...
Chris </div></div>

Its a Border Barrel, spiral fluted by Karl Kampfeld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swede69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any thoughts on this receiver for a build?</div></div>Here's a thought:

Barreled action from Ken at CDNN: $499
Sell the DBM or bottom metal: -$100
Get CDI bottom metal on sale now: $205
Snag the basic McMillan A3 on the Specials Page: $525
Send it all to be pillar bedded by GAP: $265

Gets you a kick-ass rifle for under $1400.

The actions are stout and heavy, the triggers are good, and I prefer the action itself (not the bolt) for durability over Remington 700's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got an action from 19scout77 & having a truck axle being screwed on at the moment...</div></div>

MVC-012S-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swede69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any thoughts on this receiver for a build?</div></div>Here's a thought:

Barreled action from Ken at CDNN: $499
Sell the DBM or bottom metal: -$100
Get CDI bottom metal on sale now: $205
Snag the basic McMillan A3 on the Specials Page: $525
Send it all to be pillar bedded by GAP: $265

Gets you a kick-ass rifle for under $1400.

The actions are stout and heavy, the triggers are good, and I prefer the action itself (not the bolt) for durability over Remington 700's. </div></div>

With all due respect, having had a number of factory FNs as well as customs--you cannot compare a stock PBR barreled action to a a custom based on an FN action. If you have a choice, throw the factory barrel in the trash.