• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN SPR bottom metal - Hinged/DBM interchangable?

operator1

Minuteman
Nov 15, 2004
Youngsville, NC
Anyone know if the hinged floorplate and the DBM bottom metal are interchangable? I found a mcmillan inletted for DBM and I have a hinged floorplate. Will it work?

Re: FN SPR bottom metal - Hinged/DBM interchangable?

would you prefer dbm because I might be willing to trade you mine for your hinged floorplate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hinged is bad enuff, but the factory dbm is junk. I know a guy that makes nice bottommetal. </div></div>

Care to elaborate on why the OEM stuff is so bad, and how the CDI is better? Please be specific, as I'm doing some research for a build.

Nothing wrong with the DBM bottom metal,I have had mine for 7 years and never had a problem. People make up stuff so you can buy some more extras,or dont keep there rifle clean.
The factory DBM is just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hinged is bad enuff, but the factory dbm is junk. I know a guy that makes nice bottommetal. </div></div>

Care to elaborate on why the OEM stuff is so bad, and how the CDI is better? Please be specific, as I'm doing some research for a build. </div></div>

I will take a stab at it (because I changed mine).

My factory FN SPR DBM was a pretty decent rifle out of the box. It worked and shot well. That being said after using it for a short time several things that could have been done better appeared:

DBM metal & Mags~
The factory bottom metal is very robust (heavy steel) and you could tow a boat with it. The factory mags fit OK at best. There was a fine line between engagement or falling out. The factory FN mags were hard to find spares at the time and held the rounds over restrained if that sounds right. The contoured plastic follower makes added contact on the bullet and I never felt it was 100% correct (IMHO).

Action-
Great controlled feed action and crisp trigger. Simple to adjust and needed no attention.Yea!

Stock-
McMillian stock which speaks for itself. The factory bedding was a joke on mine.

I fixed my crappy bedding by doing it myself and it made a difference. My rifle will keyhole 175's if I do my part. I also went with the CDI bottom metal. It fits the factory DBM contour with only a minor radius cut in the factory stock for pad clearance. I milled the action ( clearance ) for the AICS mags. Simple job but many people cringe at the thought. The CDI bottom metal will save some weight over the FN metal. The mags and mag fit is a WORLD of difference. Easy insertion and positive engagement.The extended mag gives you something to grab hold of. The AI/AICS mags accept rounds, all rounds easily and feeds smoothly. Much smoother than my factory FN mags. AICS mags are also available from many sources in a capacity YOU can select. Mag engagement with the CDI is positive and very easy. Mags release easy and drop free.

Other bottom metal is a nice option and if FN did it from the factory CDI and others would not exist.FN gets you close.
Its not that the factory hardware is really that bad.
The other bottom metal is better. YMMV

Feeds nice~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHh-qnI30A

DSC_0007_.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg