• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN SPR bottom metal

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have a FN SPR bolt action 308 with detachable 4 round magazine. I want to change it to a conventional hinged floor plate with magazine follower & spring. Will the factory FN floor plate swap right in to my rifle? Will the factory follower work in my receiver? And if so, does anyone know a source for these parts?

Thanks

Re: FN SPR bottom metal

The inletting in the stock is different. I *believe* you can re-inlet a floorplate model to take a DBM, but not the other way around... That is, if you want it to look nice and neat.

Yes, the parts are interchangeable between the DBM and hinged floorplate.

For the hinged floorplate you will need to roundup a follower, spring, magazine box, trigger guard and floorplate unless you go with the Williams one piece trigger guard/floorplate.

As Turbo said above, the inlet is completely different between the two. If I were doing the conversion I would fill the old inletting in and start over for the one piece floorplate.

You should be able to get a follower, spring and mag box from FN. I would buy the one piece floorplate directly from Willams and save a few bucks. Also, you can give Numrich a call and see what they have for parts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much gentlemen. I looked up the Williams metal. It is $206. I think I will keep an eye on the marketplace. Someone who switched to a CDI probably has one for sale.

Thanks again