• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN SPR CDI bottom metal

Txmxracer

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
Killeen TX
Is the installation of this bottom metal a do it youself project or does it need to go to a gunsmith. Will I need to have it bedded at the same time? Thanks for the help guys.
shane

Re: FN SPR CDI bottom metal

if you have to ask---send it to a smith

no you do not have to bed--but should you?

contact Jeff at CDI, he is a great guy and quite helpful

I chose to have a smith here in houston do it as it requires a little bit of end mill work to be done properly. I am having the smith pillar bed at the same time.

Ditto that Jeff is a top notch guy to deal with. Very friendly, very helpful.

If you don't mind saying,what's that going to cost you for the install?

The cost is $175 for pillar bedding, and I have no idea how much it's going to cost for the mill work. According to Jeff, it's a relatively small amount of time on the end mill, so I wouldn't expect it to cost much.

I had Jeff do mine. $125 at that time. I would highly recommend sending it back to him aot have it done.

anyone know where to buy the longer mounting bolts?

Your best bet is to contact FN/Browning repair in MO.

Most of the time the factory front bolt will only engage one thread. I found some bolts at Midway and Brownells. Remember
the FN= Winchester which is 1/2-32TPI not 1/4-28 like a Remington or Savage.