• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR feeding issues

Bull81

Lost Cause
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Mississippi
I recently put my FN SPR is an XLR chassis. I can't get it to feed reliably now to save my life. It will feed somewhat from the accurate mag that came with the chassis but is rough and won't pick up the last round. With the ACIS mags it won't feed at all the bolt try's to catch the round but slips over top of it. The magazine opening in the action has been opened up to accept the ACIS mags, the mags seam to seat all the way in without any trouble. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem mag wasn't seated deep enough into the action. Mine was a McMillan stock so it was an easy fix. In a chassis system you will probably have to have some Mill work done. I also had to tweak the feed lips works great now super smooth but took some work.

I had the same problem mag wasn't seated deep enough into the action. Mine was a McMillan stock so it was an easy fix. In a chassis system you will probably have to have some Mill work done. I also had to tweak the feed lips works great now super smooth but took some work.

Thanks for the reply, I ended up tweaking the feed lips and got it working just fine, only problem is the same mags won't work in my other rifle now. Guess I'll just have to keep them separated from now on.

The front of the magazine well in the action acts as a stop. Check to see if it's not allowing the mag to up to high enough in the action for the bolt to pick up the round.

If the magazine is locking in it really doesn't matter if you machine the action a little deeper for it to pic up a round. You will then have to get a longer magazine pawl. I love the FN action and did some of the first AICS mag conversions using CDI bottom metal. The AICS magazine was made for a round bottom action. To modify a flat bottom action FN for it you have to machine the action correctly, possibly use a longer or shorter magazine pawl depending upon stock/dbm or chassis being used and very likely will have to tweek the lips on the magazines to get it functioning correctly. Once you hit the sweet spot, feeding and ejection are great

I can solve this. It comes down to increasing the amount of case overlap in the raceway. Stuff a round in your mag, load it in the gun. Pull the bolt. If you can't see just a trace image/edge of the primer shining back at you, it's going to likely be problematic.

In this case you can molest feedlips, the better solution is to extend the release lever. What I've done is just start to make my own for the DBM's we carry. I run into the frustration often when fitting up stocks. You want the DBM to present well, but it has to work. The release is the key as it sets the magazine height inside the action.

On the cheap you can weld up the release lever and do it that way. If your good with a TIG its not too bad, just easier for me to whip out a bunch.

-FYI stuff:

On a CRF action you want case overlap. The more the better in most instances. The idea is to mitigate the entry angle into the breech. Short/fat cases like BR's, BRX's, Creeds, etc are a bit more sensitive to this as they transition so abruptly when engaged on the ramp. 243's, 22-250's, etc are a lot more forgiving because they spread out the transition over a greater distance on the case body.

Getting it to run well depends on this as it makes it far easier for the case rim to slip under/behind the extractor claw.

Happy to help if you get stuck.

C.

I can solve this. It comes down to increasing the amount of case overlap in the raceway. Stuff a round in your mag, load it in the gun. Pull the bolt. If you can't see just a trace image/edge of the primer shining back at you, it's going to likely be problematic.

In this case you can molest feedlips, the better solution is to extend the release lever. What I've done is just start to make my own for the DBM's we carry. I run into the frustration often when fitting up stocks. You want the DBM to present well, but it has to work. The release is the key as it sets the magazine height inside the action.

On the cheap you can weld up the release lever and do it that way. If your good with a TIG its not too bad, just easier for me to whip out a bunch.

-FYI stuff:

On a CRF action you want case overlap. The more the better in most instances. The idea is to mitigate the entry angle into the breech. Short/fat cases like BR's, BRX's, Creeds, etc are a bit more sensitive to this as they transition so abruptly when engaged on the ramp. 243's, 22-250's, etc are a lot more forgiving because they spread out the transition over a greater distance on the case body.

Getting it to run well depends on this as it makes it far easier for the case rim to slip under/behind the extractor claw.

Happy to help if you get stuck.

C.
Thanks for the info. I actually ran into another problem with the fittment of the chassis to the action. It was binding up on one side of the tang area. I talked to the manufacturer yesterday and shipped the chassis and barreled action to them today to have it taken care off. This may be causing some of the feeding problems due to the action not fitting centered. Once it's back if I still have feeding problems I may give you a shout. Someone else mentioned the mag stop built into the action, currently it's not causing a problem but if the mag release is altered to raise the mag up then the lip built into the action will definitely have to be removed.