• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR & FN PBR question

philodox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2007
Athens, Ga
Hey guys,

I'm debating on trying to lay my hands on an AI rig. I've got two rifles right now. First is a FN SPRa1 24" which currently sits on a McMillan A4 stock with hinged floor plate with a pillar bedding job from Patrior Arms. My other rifle is a FN PBR 20" which sits on on a McMillan A3 stock with detach box mag. I bedded this one myself.

Now I'm not trying to sell them here, just wondering if I do attempt to sell them will I have enough cash to buy an AI? I think AI rigs in .308 are running anywhere from $2500 up to $3500 new or used. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not entertaining any offers for sale here since this isn't a sale posting, so please don't send them. Thanks!

Note to mods, I'll post in the correct thread if I decide to sell them.

Re: FN SPR & FN PBR question

AIAE or AIAW?

Depending on the condition (round count, etc) of your FN's they're probably worth something in the neighborhood of $2500 for the pair.

No need for the Arctic warfare version for me. The PBR only has about 100rds through it and holds 1/2 min all day. I built it from a new barreled action I bought about 2 years ago. The SPR about 550'ish and will shoot 1/4 min groups if you can do your part. Both guns are taken care of better than my 4 year old
wink.gif

It's funny... my heritage is worth more than both my guns combined.. heh

Thanks for the info buffybuster.

Why would you sell a gun that holds 1/2 MOA? Seriously. You're gonna pay 4 times that for a new rig that probably won't shoot any better?

Not trying to be a smart ass. I also have a FN PBR that shoots real well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would you sell a gun that holds 1/2 MOA? Seriously. You're gonna pay 4 times that for a new rig that probably won't shoot any better?

Not trying to be a smart ass. I also have a FN PBR that shoots real well. </div></div>
+1 if it shoots why go through the hassel. Sure in some folks opinion the "cool" factor might be more but save the $ for ammo or optics or different toy. BUT its all up to you.

Two rifles are better than one! I say keep them both. Maybe re-barrel one to a different caliber. Maybe 260 or 6.5X47.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1505scouts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for the Arctic warfare version for me. The PBR only has about 100rds through it and holds 1/2 min all day. I built it from a new barreled action I bought about 2 years ago. The SPR about 550'ish and will shoot 1/4 min groups if you can do your part. Both guns are taken care of better than my 4 year old
wink.gif

It's funny... my heritage is worth more than both my guns combined.. heh

Thanks for the info buffybuster. </div></div>

As previously stated, if your FN's shoot that well, there's little to be gained by going to to a AIAE. My advice is to get the CDI bottom metal so you can run AICS mags and call it good, until the barrels burn out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div> My advice is to get the CDI bottom metal so you can run AICS mags and call it good, until the barrels burn out. [/quote]

This interests me. Is the new bottom metal easy to install? What does it cost. What does AICS magazine cost and what is the advantage of it? I do think the FN stock magazine is the only weakness of the PBR, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to mess with it. Humbly request your insight.

Or you could make me the deal of a lifetime on that SPR and be content knowing you did a good deed. Athens ... lets see ... thats about a five hour ride. I could make that.
laugh.gif

Appreciate the input guys. I think I'll stick with what I've got for the time being.

Keep the FNs and then get the AI. 3 is much better than 1. I think there is a 5 .308 minimum anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div> My advice is to get the CDI bottom metal so you can run AICS mags and call it good, until the barrels burn out. </div></div>

This interests me. Is the new bottom metal easy to install? What does it cost. What does AICS magazine cost and what is the advantage of it? I do think the FN stock magazine is the only weakness of the PBR, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to mess with it. Humbly request your insight. [/quote]

IF you already have the OEM FN DBM, then the stock is already inlet for the CDI bottom metal. However the RECEIVER has to be opened up slightly (to accept the AICS mag). A simple task with a mill. If you have the Floorplate then the stock needs to also be inlet for the bottom metal. Either send it to CDI for the mods or take it to a reputable gunsmith and have it milled.

AICS mags is the common standard for detachable magazines. Nice to have for tactical competitions.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

Have you actually handled and shot any of the AI thumbhole stocks? If not, do so before you buy a AI. They are not for everyone. If you really like the way the McMillans on your FNs feel, you may not like the AI so much--I know that I did not so I sold my AW and AICS stocked Badger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you actually handled and shot any of the AI thumbhole stocks? If not, do so before you buy a AI. They are not for everyone. If you really like the way the McMillans on your FNs feel, you may not like the AI so much--I know that I did not so I sold my AW and AICS stocked Badger. </div></div>

I heard the real reason was your FNs got together and voted them off
laugh.gif