• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN SPR stock conversion question

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
I am getting an FN SPR A2 in 308 with a hinged floorplate magazine. I plan to convert it to accept detachable magazine with a new bottom metal. In reading posts on various websites, PT&G's bottom metal seems to work for FN SPR's floor plate models without modification. However, PT&G's system uses AI AE mk1 single stack magazine, usually found in 5 round (and very pricy). FN's TBM system got excellent reviews, but it can only be dropped directly into SPR rifles with original DBM bottom metal rifles, not to the floor plate stocks.

Has anyone re-inlet FN's floorplate stocks to accept FN's TBM system? Is it difficult and worth the effort?

Any first hand experience with PT&G's bottom metal for FN/Winchester 70 SA is also appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

Blackblue,

Does CDI bottom metal needs modification to the rifle action? I read somewhere that some gunsmithing is required. CDI will do it for customers, but it involves shipping the rifle that I would like to avoid.

Thanks

PTG makes two bottom metal for the FN SPR. One takes AE mags and the other takes AICS mags. All dbm for the fn spr that accept AICS mags will require a slight modification to the receiver. I have the AICS pattern dbm on my FN and it works well. Just a heads up though, you may have to replace or modify your ejector. After installing the dbm, when running the bolt forward it would make contact with the ejector and push down on the magazine, tilting it and causing feeding issues. The fix is to either install a magnum ejector or just take a few thousandths of the bottom side.

Yes to run the aics mags the opening needs opened up, there are pics around of what needs done. If I remember right CDI will do it and quick turn around.

Thank you for all the pointers!

87stang: did PTG make modification to your rifle to accept AICS magazine?

Here's a couple of images I saved from CDI site when I was looking at having this done. Ended up staying with TBM but from everything I read, the CDI works fine if receiver correctly milled. Don't see why having the stock milled out for TBM wouldn't work either but I'll try to compare w/ standard floor plate tonight.

fn-win%20mag%20well%201.jpg

fn-win%20mag%20well%202.jpg

Can't find the standard hinged floor plate I thought I had but looking at a stock cut for floor plate - inletting for TBM will leave a pretty good gap in the area at rear of floor plate/front of the trigger that would have to be filled. No biggie but means you're not simply going to be able to just remove material and drop the TBM in. MGW still has some good deals on McMillan stocks inlet for floor plate though!

Waorani,

Very much appreciate your advice, and thank you for sharing the photos! Was your rifle originally a floorplate model, then you had its stock re-inlet to accept FN's TBM? Who did the stock inlet for you? If the stock modification is straight forward, I would prefer to stay with TBM since MGW is selling them cheap right now.

GAP machined my receiver. The stock went straight to CDI.
CDI's turnaround time is quick.
And as far as machining your receiver any competent gunsmith with a mill can do it.

GAP machined my receiver. The stock went straight to CDI.
CDI's turnaround time is quick.
And as far as machining your receiver any competent gunsmith with a mill can do it.

I might go this way. Thanks!

Waorani,

Very much appreciate your advice, and thank you for sharing the photos! Was your rifle originally a floorplate model, then you had its stock re-inlet to accept FN's TBM? Who did the stock inlet for you? If the stock modification is straight forward, I would prefer to stay with TBM since MGW is selling them cheap right now.
Mine was a TBM originally.

I am getting an FN SPR A2 in 308 with a hinged floorplate magazine. I plan to convert it to accept detachable magazine with a new bottom metal. In reading posts on various websites, PT&G's bottom metal seems to work for FN SPR's floor plate models without modification. However, PT&G's system uses AI AE mk1 single stack magazine, usually found in 5 round (and very pricy). FN's TBM system got excellent reviews, but it can only be dropped directly into SPR rifles with original DBM bottom metal rifles, not to the floor plate stocks.

Has anyone re-inlet FN's floorplate stocks to accept FN's TBM system? Is it difficult and worth the effort?

Any first hand experience with PT&G's bottom metal for FN/Winchester 70 SA is also appreciated.

Thanks fellas!
I like my Wyatt but different strokes for different folks