• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR trigger question

mahiman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
College Station, Texas
I have a SPR A1. Purchased off gun broker years ago. It came with a jewell trigger. It has the dbm bottom metal. For Father’s Day my wife and daughters got me the FN TBM kit. When installing the kit I found the dbm metal had been trimmed or inlet for the trigger.

I know this is normal after doing some research.

The question is about the timney trigger for Mod 70 CRF. After talking to timney today it’s a decent chance no inlet or adjustment to the new bottom metal would be required.

I would prefer not to cut on the new bottom metal.

The timney trigger has all the adjustable features the jewell has.

So any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!!

The Jewell trigger is a MUCH better unit. Just keep in mind it will need to be keep clean.

Lighter fluid and compressed air are your friend in this case.

Trimming the bottom metal on these is required in most cases. All of mine have required it.

A small price to pay for an excellent trigger like the Jewell.

Good Luck!

I like the Jewel much more than the Timney.

Enough so that I would hack up the bottom metal or check with one of the many excellent gunsmiths in TX, like APR, to see how much they would charge to do a professional looking inlet job. Might even be cheaper than buying the Timney?

No way in hell I would pull the Jewell out of my FN to install a Timney anything. No disrespect to Timney, but they are on to different levels.

Going to give my jewell trigger a cleaning as jetmd suggested. Thanks Chet for the detailed instructions!!

Didn’t know about the need for periodic cleaning. I have not cleaned since purchased off gun broker a decade ago. Actually it may have never been cleaned since the previous owner installed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Never to old to learn!!

Will give update once completed.

Reactions: goosed