• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN SPR WSM Ejection Issue

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Any tips on getting an SPR wsm action to eject further? When I work the bolt slowly if does not clear the port--when I JAM on it it goes about 1-2 feet. This thing ejects like a 70 yo man with prostate issues. Any help is appreciated.

Re: FN SPR WSM Ejection Issue

Being 67 I resemble that remark!
I would make sure the ejector has no burrs, that the spring is up to spec and that there is no crud in the action. A model 70 controlled feed action (also Mauser, 03, etc) are not designed to toss out cases like a push feed like a 700. Rapid snappy bolt operation is part of the training in using a controlled feed rifle IF you want positive ejection. As one PH said, when asking how he avoided the dreaded (mostly myth) problem of short stroking his 416 Rigby Magnum Mauser, his reply was:" well you try and rip the bloody bolt out of the rifle when you reload."
Try that method.

Since it is a fixed ejector, the speed the casing ejects is directly related to the velocity of the bolt movement.

To answer your question directly, move the bolt faster - there is no other way around it.

I am very well aware of the way a CRF functions as this is my 8th one. This problem was a first as even while CRANKING the bolt back brass barely cleared. All of the others would have shot the brass about 15 feet with that amount of force.

Turns out there was a small speck of bedding material that lodged under the ejector preventing it from fully seating. (Thanks or the tip Mr. Brown!!)

Removed the speck, added a little oil for good measure and promptly put a dent in the wall across the room!

Under the ejector or extractor ???... I have this same issue with one as well.

Ejector- Dale- give me a call and I'll walk you through the fix.

E-

Scout... thanks for discussing this with me today. I took a look at the ejector and it was fine. I put the bolt in question into a different FN and it didnt eject very well either. So I then knew it was a bolt issue.

After a duh moment... the extractor is like a 1911! I dont know why I havent payed attention to this before. You can take it off and bend it a little and add some tension to grip the cartridge better... all fixed and seems to be working great on the workbench!

Thanks Ren- Good to know!

If all else fails, you might try replacing the factory extractor with a Williams.