• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

fn spr

hk9176251

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
lewiston ny
does any one have a opinion on the fn bolt guns specifically the spr in 300wsm i am looking to get my first center-fire bolt gun and this has piqued my interest ?

Re: fn spr

ammo is going to be high and hard to find to boot. factory ammo is not that accurate.
Personally I would got with a Tikka Varmint in 308 and a couple extra 6 shot mags or 10 shots.

You will need to get into handloading either way for best results.

I had one of those for a while. It was a very fine rifle. Mine would shoot 1/2 MOA with 178 Amax and 175 SMKs, that is all I ever tried. The guy I sold it to was getting better groups than that with heavier Berger bullets.

I sold it because it was more expensive to feed than my .308 and the .308 did everything I needed. Took the money I got from it and bought a Benelli M4.
wink.gif

HK, my father has one and he is very satisfied with it. I will ask him to post on here to give you further details. I have a Rem 700 in 300 WSM and I really like how it behaves. While .308 is always going to be easier to find, if you do your own reloading what the .300 WSM can do is impressive.

I'm a big fan of the fn's they did have some issues with the chrome lining flakeing off but I believe that is in the past.FNs customer service doesn't have a great track record.

If I were going to go that route I would contact CDNN and buy one of the FN actions in 300 short mag.Then order a Mcmillan and a barrel.Have a good smith put it together. You will be into for just a little more money and have a far better product.Oh and i would chamber it in 7wsm it shoots the nuts off the 300.

One of the good things about the Winchester/FN short mag actions is that they are longer, and have a longer magazine than the comparable remington or tikka rifles. You can take advantage of this when handloading, and seat the bullets much further out.

I have a Winchester Coyote in 300 WSM, and it is my do-everything rifle. It doesn't have the CRF bolt SPR has, but the action is similar. I load 200 grain bullets to a little over 2800fps with a 19 1/2" barrel.

The 300 WSM is really a great round, and if you handload, the only additional cost is the 40%-50% extra powder you use. The recoil takes a lot of practice to get used to. Proper use of a sling helps, as does a brake, if you plan on always wearing good earpro.

My magazine in my .308 FN is only about 2.840".

I'm very happy with the rifle overall, but I 2nd the notion of getting a McMillan, a good barrel, and an action from CDNN and assembling it yourself.

Only reason I bought one was for long barrel life (chrome bore). At 700 rounds chrome flaked off would not consider that long barrel life. I will never buy another chrome bore rifle in .308.

I have one of the first gen. FN's; no flaking of chrome yet, but she is still low mileage.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one of those for a while. It was a very fine rifle. Mine would shoot 1/2 MOA with 178 Amax and 175 SMKs, that is all I ever tried. The guy I sold it to was getting better groups than that with heavier Berger bullets.

I sold it because it was more expensive to feed than my .308 and the .308 did everything I needed. Took the money I got from it and bought a Benelli M4.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I bought his, and it is a shooter! It is actually the best factory rifle, accuracy wise, I have fired. I have gotten 5 shot groups down in the mid .1's using 190 berger vlds but mid .3's are the norm, so I have not tried much else because of that.

The mag box COAL is over 3 inches, I can get the exact length if you want it, I just dont have my notes with me right now.

The only down side to the FN SPR's is they are on the heavy side. But as long as you are ok with that you will like it. I hiked around the foot hills of eastern Montana with it last fall and didnt find to be to much. I did manage to bring home a nice mule deer for my efforts
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with it at all! I love mine,it's a hammer!

But with that being said i'm also the second owner of the rifle.The original barrel was shot out at 700 rounds(chrome issues).It now wears a #8 douglas.I could'nt be happier with it!

Can anyone speak to the barrels that the SPR's are coming with now as far as the chrome lining is concerned? Im looking for a good 308 but cant afford the titanic prices that custom smiths are charging.