• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR 20" Heavy BBL build, looking for suggestions

kimberseries1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Texas by the Grace of God
Snatched up this discontinued barrel profile. Sighted one exactly like it in for someone which had:

Harris bipod
ADM double quick release mount
Millet 4x16 IR scope

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span>
Was set on the Millet for the price, but after sighting it in, I wasn't too happy with the high power setting. Clarity seemed to drop off dramatically. I was even thinking of getting the 6x24, but now I'm not sure I'm sold on Millet. I really love my Nikon 4.5x14 Buckmaster BDC on my Browning .30-06, but I need mil-dots and turrets for this gun.

Was looking at a Burris at around $500 or so, but no turrets. Bushnell had some nice looking tactical models at the $300 mark, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to look at Bushnell after the Millet. Open to suggestions, looking at the $500 mark as a max. Will probably start saving for a Nightforce or Horus further down the road. This scope is just a "bandaid" of sorts, and will get put on another rifle down the road.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bipod:</span>
I hate the Harris bipod after sighting this guy's in. It may work for hunting rifles, but not for semi-auto railed guns, at least for me. Was wobbling all over the place on load up, even when tightened all the way. I know LaRue makes a pic-rail adapter, but that wasn't the problem. There was lateral flex back and forth like a rocking motion that really disturbed me and was causing fliers at 100 yrds. I could only get 2 shots to group at 1/2", and was lucky to land that.

Probably going to go with an Atlas over the Versa-pod, but looking for suggestions from people who have owned many different ones.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!

Re: FNAR 20" Heavy BBL build, looking for suggestions

I like the Monarchs, for the price. You can get Target turretts, extra. Just ordered my new 8-32 with em. app 800 bucks. I have'nt used a bipod that works at fast shot re-aquire. THEY ALL SEEM TO 'BOUNCE AROUND" Sand bag works better.Just my limited experience. Maybe "someone who knows", will chime in.By the way, I've got alot of family in the Dallas, and Kerrville area. Nice country!

My FNAR sports a Harris and Ive had a CAA on it. No problems with either(I did have a Caldwell on it for about an hour but that ones legs kept collapsing under recoil). As for glass, my FNAR used to have a Leupold MK4 but that scope went on the R700 and I stuck a Wotac on the FN. Matt Wonders(wotac) is not the best guy to deal with because he tells you shit until you get the scope. Do a search for wotac to get an idea what I'm talking about. The actual 4-14x44 scope has run very well for me without a single issue. The glass is clear, its a mil/mil ffp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Monarchs, for the price. You can get Target turretts, extra. Just ordered my new 8-32 with em. app 800 bucks. I have'nt used a bipod that works at fast shot re-aquire. THEY ALL SEEM TO 'BOUNCE AROUND" Sand bag works better.Just my limited experience. Maybe "someone who knows", will chime in.By the way, I've got alot of family in the Dallas, and Kerrville area. Nice country! </div></div>

Thanks for the help. I like the monarchs too, but on their website, I didn't see any that the mil-dot reticle....unless they call it by a different name. I may have missed it though, I'm good at that.

I prefer sandbags as well, but was adding a bipod for "in case" situations where I may not have sandbags, blanket rolls, or backpacks to rest on. I was hoping there may be a bipod out there that didn't have the left to right roll that the Harris had.

Kerville area is georgous....deer EVERYWHERE. They get dangerous at night on the roads. Dallas is awesome, as well as the 4 hour drive through beautiful country to get there.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My FNAR sports a Harris and Ive had a CAA on it. No problems with either(I did have a Caldwell on it for about an hour but that ones legs kept collapsing under recoil). As for glass, my FNAR used to have a Leupold MK4 but that scope went on the R700 and I stuck a Wotac on the FN. Matt Wonders(wotac) is not the best guy to deal with because he tells you shit until you get the scope. Do a search for wotac to get an idea what I'm talking about. The actual 4-14x44 scope has run very well for me without a single issue. The glass is clear, its a mil/mil ffp. </div></div>

Thanks for the help, hadn't heard of the Wotac, but I'll definately do some diggin' on it. Thanks!

Also not all harris bipods are the same. I was shooting with one unit that had issued the wrong model by mistake and the bipods had a built in pivot that alowed you to tilt the rifle from around 10 O'Clock to 2 O'Clock the ones that we issue are a lot more solid without the pivot and hold up to sustained wear and tear M14 EBRs put on them. I am sure there are other great companies out there but you might have gotten stuck with one of the crappy ones did the gun tilt significantly to the side when you set it down?

If I were you and wanted a cheap scope to address this problem quickly before saving up for whatever, I'd check the group buy section here. Go to SWFA and order Kit 5. If and when you decide to sell it, you lose $50 or so. Not bad rental for a nice scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also not all harris bipods are the same. I was shooting with one unit that had issued the wrong model by mistake and the bipods had a built in pivot that alowed you to tilt the rifle from around 10 O'Clock to 2 O'Clock the ones that we issue are a lot more solid without the pivot and hold up to sustained wear and tear M14 EBRs put on them. I am sure there are other great companies out there but you might have gotten stuck with one of the crappy ones did the gun tilt significantly to the side when you set it down? </div></div>

AAHHHH!! That makes total since! That's exactly what was happening, a tilt on the barrel axis from exactly 10 to 2. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My FNAR sports a Harris and Ive had a CAA on it. No problems with either(I did have a Caldwell on it for about an hour but that ones legs kept collapsing under recoil). As for glass, my FNAR used to have a Leupold MK4 but that scope went on the R700 and I stuck a Wotac on the FN. Matt Wonders(wotac) is not the best guy to deal with because he tells you shit until you get the scope. Do a search for wotac to get an idea what I'm talking about. The actual 4-14x44 scope has run very well for me without a single issue. The glass is clear, its a mil/mil ffp. </div></div>

Thanks for the help, hadn't heard of the Wotac, but I'll definately do some diggin' on it. Thanks!

</div></div>

If the super sniper fixed 10 was mil/mil I would of been all over that scope but they don't. I don't know if I want to endorse Wotac, as Matt's service is horrible and I have not had the scope for very long but it is repeatable so far. Granted my FNAR does have a brake on it so it probably won't get beat as hard as one without.

Oh, an alpha pod lock will do wonders for that harris, $15.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were you and wanted a cheap scope to address this problem quickly before saving up for whatever, I'd check the group buy section here. Go to SWFA and order Kit 5. If and when you decide to sell it, you lose $50 or so. Not bad rental for a nice scope.

</div></div>

Thanks a lot, I'll definately check into that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My FNAR sports a Harris and Ive had a CAA on it. No problems with either(I did have a Caldwell on it for about an hour but that ones legs kept collapsing under recoil). As for glass, my FNAR used to have a Leupold MK4 but that scope went on the R700 and I stuck a Wotac on the FN. Matt Wonders(wotac) is not the best guy to deal with because he tells you shit until you get the scope. Do a search for wotac to get an idea what I'm talking about. The actual 4-14x44 scope has run very well for me without a single issue. The glass is clear, its a mil/mil ffp. </div></div>

</div></div>

If the super sniper fixed 10 was mil/mil I would of been all over that scope but they don't. I don't know if I want to endorse Wotac, as Matt's service is horrible and I have not had the scope for very long but it is repeatable so far. Granted my FNAR does have a brake on it so it probably won't get beat as hard as one without.

Oh, an alpha pod lock will do wonders for that harris, $15.00 </div></div>

Sweet. Thanks, and by the way, how does your brake change the recoil/feeding of your FNAR? I've read somewhere that FNAR's aren't designed to run with a brake. I've considered threading or attaching a quick connect to it for suppressed use, but wasn't sure if it would cycle.