• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR-can it be shortened and have a FH/brake added

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I am very interested in purchasing a FNAR soon. My buddy has one that is an absolute tack driver. At a 100yards he is getting 1/2 MOA with hand loads. We are talking bolt action accuracy out of a semi. I have handled a light version at my local shot and i love how it feels. It is a a little front heavy. I was thinking of possibly chopping 2" off the barrel to make it an 18". I was reading the TacOps article where they stated the velocity difference between 20" to 18" was 32ft/sec and that a 308 with 18" barrel is good for 600yards. That is plenty for me for a semi-auto. If i want a longer reach i have my GAP 308 with 26" Rock barrel.

Would shortening the barrel affect the function of the rifle. I am not sure how the BAR action works. Also how come for a tactical type of rifle a muzzle brake or flash hider did not come from the factory. I would definitely be interested in adding one if i shortened the barrel. All inputs appreciated.

Re: FNAR-can it be shortened and have a FH/brake added

308 with an 18" barrel is good for 600 yards?

You should watch Lowlights video in which he makes consecutive hits on a steel plate at 1000 yards with his 18" barreled GAP build.

That is just a myth. They will go past 600 accurately

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 with an 18" barrel is good for 600 yards?

You should watch Lowlights video in which he makes consecutive hits on a steel plate at 1000 yards with his 18" barreled GAP build.

That is just a myth. They will go past 600 accurately </div></div>

Oh yeah, i have seen the video. That is one reason that i want to chop it down. I didnt know how much though it would make a difference with FNAR being semi vs. a bolt. I am assuming the semi would be slightly slower velocity wise with a same barrel length. But i think 600-800yards should be definitely doable with 18". Hell i even thought about 16" but that was a little more questionable and i would be getting into the fluting of the barrel at that point. The last three inches of the barrel are not fluted.

People have been chopping down BAR's forever. I shot a 16" 338 with a brake.

The main issue will be the chrome lined barrel. I asked here and I was told the chrome will start flaking if you cut the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The main issue will be the chrome lined barrel. I asked here and I was told the chrome will start flaking if you cut the barrel." </div></div>
That would be my primary concern, too.