• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR vs AR10 SASS vs Springfield Socom

gryphthemyth

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Arion, Iowa
Im looking to get into another new 308 semi auto and im trying to get some first hand comperisons. I've had M14 full sized and loved it and a few other 308 semis but the three rifles im looking at I've never owned. Im looking at purchasing the DPMS SASS, FNAR, or one of the Springfield Socom varients. Anyone owned one or preferably more than one of these three and can give me some honest comparison impressions. This rifle will essentially be an all around combat style carry rifle that i would like to see reasonably accurate to 800m and reliable, doesn't need to thread a needle at that range but at least a 12 inch ring consistantly would be good. Thanks.

Re: FNAR vs AR10 SASS vs Springfield Socom

i have shot the DPMS LR 308, not the DPMS SASS, it was accurate but not what i "wanted", so i sold it and got a Armalite "AR-10" Super SASS, it's got a spendy price tag on it, but the gun fits me well... very comfortable, and i worked a handload that will hold about .5MOA if i can hold my own... here is a vid @ about 800yds on a 12X12" piece or AR-500, if you have any questions regarding the AR-10 SASS shoot me a p.m.
http://youtu.be/_vxl-JxRoPM

Nice set up and shooting. What was it about the DPMS SASS you didn't like? I love the Armalite but it was that price tag that was making me look at the DPMS.

i haven't shot the DPMS SASS so i cant tell you anything about it... i have only shot the DPMS LR-308 (24" heavy stainless barrel) standard A2 stock, smooth handguard, i'm sure the DPMS SASS would be more comfortable with the PRS, upgraded pistol grip, and quadrail, i have the DPMS mini SASS and love it... only thing i would change is the ambi safety.

I've got an Armalite AR-10T with the 24" barrel and it will hit prairie dog sized rocks at 800 yards with regular consistancy. I've got a Springfield 4-14X56 3rd Generation Scope on it. I've also installed a Magpul PRS stock and I'm very happy with it. I just picked up a new FNAR .308 with a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Scope. I like the rifle and the way it's able to be fitted to just about anybody by way of cant, length of pull and hight of cheek piece. I have discovered that Lake City brass with 168 gr A-Max pushed by 42.5 gr of Varget leave something to be desired in accuracy. My Armalite shoots that load at about 3/4 MOA. I did however find that Federal Match brass with the same load will bring my groups down to about the same. The one thing I appreciate more about the Armalite is the ability to change or clean up the trigger. The FNAR leaves you without the ability to change much about the trigger except to polish and lubricate it down to 3.5 lbs. The Match trigger in my Armalite was great from the start and I've also shortened the length of pull for a cleaner break. I can't make up my mind on which one is going to be my favorite

I have a DPMS SASS, and I really like it. I traded for it- it was used, and the previous owner made a lot of upgrades so i have no idea how a stock SASS is.
I do know that with the FCS30 flash suppressor/comp and hydraulic buffer the recoil is extremely mild. It came with a Timney trigger so I have no idea what the stock trigger is like. It also came with a PRI carbon fiber FF tube. It isn't a traditional quad rail, but has plenty of places to attach stuff.
It also has a Magpul ACS stock. I think I would prefer a PRS stock, but this one is good.
It is accurate, but I have not had time to really shoot enough to fine tune a load. In fact I haven't had much range time with it since I got it.

Jim

I was not impressed with the FNAR. The ergos leave something to be desired. The magazines are non-standard and the rifle just feels "wrong".

You didn't mention price range and you didn't mention what "reasonable" accuracy is. What is "reasonable" to me, may not be reasonable to you.

Also, take a look at the GAP-10. If I were going to buy a precision semi-308 right now, it would be hard to overlook this one:

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

I currently have a custom Armalite AR10. It's a blast to rock steel with. It's not my most accurate rifle, but if I need to put lots of lead on intermediate range targets fast it's a good choice.

http://8541tactical.com/precisionar10.php

AR10_5743.jpg

I love my AR10T. I personally would eliminate the FNAR becuase of its unique expensive and rare magazine. The DMPS has Mag Pul mags available and will be the most accurate option. I personally am getting sick of having sets of 10+ magazine for platform after platform. If you already own an M1A pattern rifle I would stay with it for mag and parts commonality.

For comfort and similar ergonomics to any AR15s you own the DPMS might be your best choice. Make sure you handle each before you make the decision. The AR10 in longer bbls isnt everyone's cup of tea.

Just my opinion, but rule out the FNAR.. go to youtube and checkout how to disassemble the gun.. pretty nuts. As far as Armalite and DPMS.. I think the only real difference is what mags you prefer to use. Both nice entry level offerings.

I also would not buy the FNAR, but it's not fair to bash on it either. Sure, the mags cost more, but the gun costs $1,000 less than the other choices. A buddy of mine chose it and now has close to 1000 rounds through it with zero failures, and has never stripped it down. These were slow precision shots as well as full mag dumps. SO if you plan to shoot a few thousand a year, I can see not wanting to deal with field stripping. If you more realistic shoot 500 rounds per year, perhaps that would become less of an issue.

The main reason I wouldn't want the FNAR is that it is completely proprietary, not built to be as durable as a "battle rifle," and at the $2,500 price range, you should be looking at the FN SCAR anyhow. I would also not get an M1A, which is certainly less fun to field strip than an AR, no? I would be interested in hearing about the OPs' experience with the "other 3" 308 semi's, for comparison.

I own a FNAR. It is very accurate, easily sub moa even with crap ammo. No need to take it apart every time you shoot it, its a short track so it doesn't get as dirty as one would think. I only take mine apart after a 1000 rounds or so. The only problems I've had with this rifle has been optics. This rifle is pretty tough.

Its not for everyone, but its not as bad as everyone states. I can get mags for about $55 ea and the stock off a Browning Bar hunting rifle is just about bolt on if you're into the precision shooting look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why has optics been a problem? Due to no BUIS? I thought it was a picatinny just like flattop ARs...</div></div>

I wonder as well?

I have an FNAR and I cannot get the GG&G QDmount to hold on the steel rail.
I wonder, is something like this what you are referring to?

With ALL Aluminum rings I find no issues holding optics!
I also find that my FNAR is MUCH MUCH more accurate than many claim here on the hide!!
Try 175 SMK with 45.5 grains of varget...
Just for the fun of it I am going to work on making a new grip/buttstock attachment for my FNAR that will accept AR components to see how it hands with a PRS. Only down side to me is the weight!
Currently mine is with Mike Bush being threaded for the suppressor I am waiting on!
smile.gif

Sorry I cannot comment on the others you are questioning...

I purchased a FNAR a couple of years back and topped it off with a NF 3.5x15x50. I was impressed with the groups right out of the box however the accuracy did not seem to be consistent. I cleaned rifle carefully and tested different types of ammo with no consistent groups. Another issue with the FNAR is the lack of available accessories.
I like you have shot the M14 and I have also had limited exposure to the SOCOM however neither of these rifles provided me with the accuracy I have become accustomed to with my bolt guns.
I am currently looking to purchase a semi-auto .308 platform rifle and my top 2 choices are the Larue OBR and the LMT.

New guy here - what an awesome site and forum! I would echo the positive of what's been said above regarding the FNAR. I've had an FNAR light for a couple of months, and topped it last week with a Sightron SIII 6x24x50 LRMD with the .1 MRAD clicks. I would say it's not for everyone, being the bastard stepchild of the BAR Sporting, but mine is a shooter and will hold MOA or better out to 500 (that's as far as I've shot it so far). I'm going to have Mark at Short Action Customs do at least the trigger, and I'm considering a brake. Magazines, while they are proprietary have come down considerably in cost, and looks like they will keep going that way. The magazines are also built like a truck. The field strip seems daunting at first, but is easy once you've done it a time or two. Not a battle rifle, not a top rate precision rifle, but an interesting little bastard! Sorry for the long post! ckruse
eek.gif

Well hell, I responded to those questions but for some reason it didn't post.

Oh well.... The problems I had with the optics were. The rail is aluminum and was twisted. The bedding under the rail is crap. So the cure for mine was, replace and bed the rail with JB weld. I lapped the rings and retorqued the rings with loctite. I've had Mark over at SAC do a brake and trigger on mine.

Glad to see you are still getting use out of that FNAR. That thing can really shoot.
I am intrigued to see your future modifications....John<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why has optics been a problem? Due to no BUIS? I thought it was a picatinny just like flattop ARs...</div></div>

I wonder as well?

I have an FNAR and I cannot get the GG&G QDmount to hold on the steel rail.
I wonder, is something like this what you are referring to?

With ALL Aluminum rings I find no issues holding optics!
I also find that my FNAR is MUCH MUCH more accurate than many claim here on the hide!!
Try 175 SMK with 45.5 grains of varget...
Just for the fun of it I am going to work on making a new grip/buttstock attachment for my FNAR that will accept AR components to see how it hands with a PRS. Only down side to me is the weight!
Currently mine is with Mike Bush being threaded for the suppressor I am waiting on!
smile.gif

Sorry I cannot comment on the others you are questioning...

</div></div>