• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNG from E.Texas

TexanBullet

FN Rookie
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2024
E. Texas
Good day all yall. I have been doing a lot of research on long range shooting and most of my searches led me here. I've been a pistol/AR 15 nothing more than 100 yards, guy for the most part, outside of hunting with family 25 years ago with .243. I have been doing research for over a year on what gun to buy, Whether my hunting rifle could work as my SHTF long range rifle. I think I have decided those need to be two different rifles I'm an electronics guy when I was in the military so I tend to over analyze or overthink things before making purchases. I have decided that going to purchase my hunting rifle first and then if I can try and understand through learning, trail and error what I would need in a SHTF long range rifle. I appreciate all the time and effort yall put in to this site, so I'm very happy to be here and able to learn a lot. I'm a damn rookie so I won't have along to add but am willing to learn.
I think I'm going to go with a 6.5 Creedmoor as most of my hunting will be those smaller E. Texas Deer and some Mule Deer out in West Texas.
I have it narrowed down to three rifles so any of your experience with these would be appreciated. I don't think I know enough to build a custom yet.

Benelli Lupo 6.5 24 inch barrel
Tikka T3x Super Varmit 6.5 20 or 24 inch barrel
T3x TACT A1 6.5 24 inch

Welcome to the hide!

Always use a good excuse to buy another rifle! 😀

And if you post the techy question in the other forum you will get better response.

Either of the Tikka would be good and if you wanted to change stocks or chassis then get whatever is cheapest.

That being said where at in East Texas. In in north Texas (Wichita Falls).

Either of the Tikka would be good and if you wanted to change stocks or chassis then get whatever is cheapest.

That being said where at in East Texas. In in north Texas (Wichita Falls).
I'm out towards Athens so not deep East Texas but the start of East Texas.
That's what I read was that people buy Tikkas and trade out the stocks. I know I'm knew to this but seems like an expensive route to go.

Everything in this game is expensive.

If your the type of person who like to upgrade as you go then the Tikka makes sense. Buy it now shoot until you want to chance then you have options.

If your the type of person who wants good right now (more money up front) and don’t expect to change much then I would look at building.

You can several actions under $1000.
Prefit barrel $550-$750
Trigger $150-$250
Stock or chassis $500-$1300

Then assemble yourself with a barrel vice, action wrench, and a torque wrench.

Or keep scoping the site here for a complete barreled action that comes up for $1300-$1600.

The aero solus might be worth looking at as well.

Everything in this game is expensive.

If your the type of person who like to upgrade as you go then the Tikka makes sense. Buy it now shoot until you want to chance then you have options.

If your the type of person who wants good right now (more money up front) and don’t expect to change much then I would look at building.

You can several actions under $1000.
Prefit barrel $550-$750
Trigger $150-$250
Stock or chassis $500-$1300

Then assemble yourself with a barrel vice, action wrench, and a torque wrench.

Or keep scoping the site here for a complete barreled action that comes up for $1300-$1600.

The aero solus might be worth looking at as well.
I thought about building but as a rookie and so many options I don't think it would be the best option. I wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks for the information though, maybe I will look in to it more.

I thought about building but as a rookie and so many options I don't think it would be the best option. I wouldn't even know where to start. Thanks for the information though, maybe I will look in to it more.
Any PRS or matches around? Best thing you could do is go meet those guys.