• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fng from Minnesota looking for some local long ranges and a few pointers from you large caliber nutheads :)

Wingnuts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2022
Twin cities, Minnesota
Hey guys, I'm looking forward to all the information this forum has to offer and really excited to be a better shooter. I've been shooting paper with my savage 111 30-06 for 10 years or more using a shitty scope and factory ammo at no more than 200 to 300 yards and have had a hell of alot of fun getting those groupings that look like you missed the paper because you can't see your last shot on paper. I could get out to the range with my 22 and have just as much if not more fun than the larger calibers so don't worry I'm not that guy with something to prove to the world. However, I finally picked myself up my "dream caliber" about a week ago and want to set it up for proper long range. I'm also looking to know If anyone in minnesota or Wisconsin knows of any ranges 500+ where a guy can stretch his legs. The new rifle is a savage 110 precision 338lm. So far I've just got a magpul bipod installed on mlok that feels great for an inexpensive start in case there's better options. The glass I'm looking at is the vortex viper pst gen II 5x25x50. I love all my vortex glass but I've always been curious about nightforce too. Please give me your options on where I should or shouldn't take this build. I'm in no hurry to cheap out on this but I don't know that I'll spend over 2k for my first scope on this rig. Also looking for a great "loop" sling to put on this. Thanks gentlemen, not sure what to expect from this but any insight is appreciated!
20220207_190913.jpg

Welcome to the hide.

Fellow MN shooter here.

Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club In Harris has 1,000 yards but you have to be a member.

Summit Game Farm in Wisconsin also has a 1,000. Call them and tell them you’d like to shoot. They take donations but flipping them a $20 for a few hours of shooting is well worth it. And they have a little house you can shoot from to stay out of the wind.

There’s a thread about Summit here somewhere with some pics.

As for your scope, there is a Bushnell XRS in the PX for $875. That’s tough to bear for that price. (Scope isn’t mine, just saw it listed)

I found the thread. It’s actually Summit Lake Game Farm.

There’s a link in post #7 that has another thread with more info.

I found the thread. It’s actually Summit Lake Game Farm.

There’s a link in post #7 that has another thread with more info.

Thanks alot! Definitly going to check these out this spring. Hopefully see you at a range day sometime.

Welcome. Minnesota guy here as well. I am a member of Gopher. Well worth it if you live close enough to utilize it. Great facility, easy to become a member, reasonable dues. If you pursued membership now you could probably expect to get a slot no later than next January. Go through the motions now and then just wait till a spot opens up. As far as a scope, pretty hard to beat a used Vortex Razor HD Gen II in 4.5-27x56. That would be my first choice.

Reactions: Wingnuts
Welcome. Minnesota guy here as well. I am a member of Gopher. Well worth it if you live close enough to utilize it. Great facility, easy to become a member, reasonable dues. If you pursued membership now you could probably expect to get a slot no later than next January. Go through the motions now and then just wait till a spot opens up. As far as a scope, pretty hard to beat a used Vortex Razor HD Gen II in 4.5-27x56. That would be my first choice.
Thanks man I'll check the razor out. Looks like gopher is only about an hour away. It's in Harris right?

Welcome. From southern MN. If your down south. There's mini matches over at Mike Olson's farm. Range goes out to 1300.
Lots of Solid info above. I'm not to sure about public ranges. I shoot on the farm here.

There's a match this month
Screenshot_20220208-123841_Chrome.jpg

I’m also a member of Gopher Rifle and Revolver. Very nice 1000 yd range. Frank had a class there last September.

There used to be a 600 yd range/club in Elk River. The name of that one was the Elk River Sportsman Club. Don’t know if it’s members only or not.

I was a member of the Hibbing Rifle and Pistol Club probably 10 years ago. The Hibbing club went to about 680 yd if I remember correctly. I drove 3 1/2 hours each way from the metro to shoot before getting into Gopher.

Those are the only longer range MN ones I have any knowledge of. Wisconsin has a few really nice ones. Bit of a drive though.

There’s also a range just outside Aurora, MN, run by , I think, Aurora Sportsman’s Club.

They have paper out to 600, but don’t allow steel targets.

Cost is only $20 a year, which is cheap, but that’s a three hour haul north of Harris.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll be driving around the state and beyond quite a bit this summer doing drift events at Brainard and fargo so I'll have to check these spots out and hunt out some others along the way.

Hey also, are spotting scopes really something you need to go bankrupt over or would a vortex diamondback be fine? I know we don't mess around with glass on the rifle, but am I missing something or can I go a little lighter on the quality of the spotting scope?

Last edited: