• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNG in north east Texas

Bob2650

Boomer
Minuteman
Never paid attention to the team room and just now noticed this introduction section.
New to PRS and have never been to a PRS match. I am 65 and have a bad heart so I won't be running through the stages at warp speed kicking your asses. I realize the guys who shoot as part of their job will be taking this very seriously and promise to try to keep from screwing things up for them. I am in this for recreation but I can shoot. Yes we have all heard that before from every FNG that shows up and laugh at him when he comes in dead last at his first match with even the wives and children of the real competitors beating him. I will be a good sport when it happens to me.
Have been shooting free rifle matches on and off since 1969. My work took me to Denver and the snow was too deep most of that first winter for rifle so I got talked into the pistol league. With rifle I was stuck trying to make it into the top 20% of national level competitors. Never bothered to go to Camp Perry for rifle. But pistol was easy. I became obsessed with pistol shooting like never happened with rifle. I zoomed up to High Master and the 2650 club, went to Perry many years for pistol and did pretty well. Even won a national championship with the Free Pistol. Then one day the obsession was gone. No longer cared about pistol matches. Got married again and lived a different life for a while and now I am beginning to feel the bite of the rifle bug again. I will be shooting some highpower with my old school AR15 service rifle but the long and extra long range shooting is what is whispering my name. 6.5 creedmore, kestrel and a whole new set of equipment and rules. Like a kid in a candy store! I was forced into retirement after an outrageous medical expense made a total disaster of my finances so I am on social security for my money. Going to take a while to buy anything new. I will use my 308 Rock River LAR-8 for now and have a good time. My heavy barrel savage in 300WM will see some action just to get my feet wet but it already needs a fresh barrel.
We get to use a sling and a bag under the arm (at times, I guess) for offhand yet some whine about how it is too hard. Pretty dam funny, a bunch of grown men acting like that. But, I am pretty sure I can learn a lot even from "those guys" so I will enjoy it here at the hide. Back when I was doing the Appleseed instructor thing it always felt like cheating to use a sling shooting for score offhand.
I am a little north of Greenville, Texas and it looks like Jacob's Plain will be my home range once I come up with the membership fees.

Yep, too much information...
Trying to make up for not posting here first.
Thanks,
Bob

Howdy! There is a match the third Saturday of each month at Jacobs Plain. I’ve only shot a couple of them but it’s a great learning experience and they’re new shooter friendly.

Reactions: Bob2650