• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship FNG looking to de-noob self

dannyryan007

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Washington State, USA
Hello,
I am new to the sport of tactical/long range shooting. I have my rifle, my scope, my bipod, and ammo. What i don't have is all the know-how. I am the embodiment of FNG. Blast away. But, please offer advice, and potential resources. I want to learn about windage, elevation, temperatures, ballistics etc. I ultimately want to compete, but i am completely content with being a hobbiest. I am looking for resources i.e. books and manuals that will help me cover the basics, gain an understanding and advance from there with questions and more specifics. I appreciate your help in advance. I can use all of it I can get.
-Danny

Re: FNG looking to de-noob self

Sign up for the online training here would be a good start. I believe there are some precision shooting schools in WA as well.

Online training, try to find someone local that actually knows what they are talking about.

a few solid days of shooting steel at long range will help you learn alot about wind reading, spotting ect. Trade time off the gun and on the glass, you are going to want to do both.

Good luck
smile.gif

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Get an accurate .22 and shoot the ever loving shit out of it. A smallbore organization would be a good thing to get into.

Caylan is running MAgpuls precision rifle out near tri cities,
Where in Washington are you?

Welcome to the Hide ! There is a lot of info here to read about getting started. Look in the bolt action rifle section then go to the Getting started in longrange shooting FAQ's . Read,read and read some more. Bryan Litz has a good book out.Do a google search here on the hide to find it. Then find a place to get some training or find a place to go shoot. Hope you enjoy the addiction !
smile.gif

In-person training with someone who knows what they're doing. The cost of the class will prove inexpensive compared to the ammo and time you'll waste trying to figuring out things on your own. Not to mention the self-inflicted training scars that you'll need to fix when you eventually do take a class.

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my rifle, my scope, my bipod, and ammo...... I ultimately want to compete</div></div>

Take your rifle, scope, bipod, and ammo and start shooting "F-Class" It will get you started while you determine where you want to go.

thanks for all the input. I'm in the tacoma area now. this time next year i should be east in the spokane area to begin "furthering my education for the next chapter of my life." haha but, yeah. hopfully my situation will get changed up so i can start shooting more. right now i have a round count of 20 in my 700... that's not very good. thing isn't even broeken in. Thank you again for the advice. i will be asking more and more questions as time goes on.

This site with all the knowledge got me started. Burned a shit ton of ammo. Then took a formal training class, which was invaluable. And started to help me put things together. This was two years ago. I'm still burning a shit ton of ammo, and trying to learn somthing every time out. I'm am not an expert but trying to think back to when I started. Best advice I got, is learn good solid fundimentals right away, so you are not creating bad habits. Read every thing you can get your hands on, and shoot the piss out of your rifle. Utilize practice time. This site is an valuble resource for learning. I learned a lot from Bryan Litz book Applied Ballistics, even though a lot of it is still over my head. Buy quality equipment, it works better and will save you on the long run. But don't get all wrapped up in giddgets and gaddgets. Like I said not trying to be a know it all. Just thinking what I progressed through. Good luck and have Fun.

The quickest, most direct way to learn about how comps are done is to show up for one as a spectator. Bring comfortable seating and some fairly good LR optics; i.e binos, or better, a spotting scope and tripod. Some eats and hydration, and protection against likely weather/sunstroke.

Audit the event, in the same way folks would audit a college course. Take extra care not to distract or interfere with what's going on. Pests to not get a return invitation. If you have questions, A) save them for when things are offline and relaxed, and B) for folks who seem to be enjoying themselves, the others are probably doing it wrong anyway. If you have some patience and are truly observant, many of those questiosn will be answered without having to ask them.

Might pay to offer a donation to smooth your somewhat alien presence in their midst. The dialogue will likely include some pointers for you, and they should be taken seriously.

You'll learn quickest and best in the 'eyes and ears open, mouth closed' mode.

You'll see what folks are using and how. You may even see how they use it right, and wrong, both important lessons. Some of that stuff may be available used. See what they think about rimfire practice, what they tell you about it and themselves may give insight into who's more likely to be winning and why. Same about the rest of the equipment and what loads they find more useful.

Your first few participations, pay attention to getting the routine (moving, moving into a position, moving out, having your doodads handy for when they're needed, etc.) down solid. Until you've managed that part, it really doesn't pay to be concerned about winning and losing; that part follows the first. Don't be a dope, most of your I's will end up dotted, and likewise with crossing your T's.

This is the part where watching a few times before you actually have to do it for real will come in most handy. Guessing and looking around frantically while you're trying to actually do it is the wrong time to expect learning anything useful (sensory overload).

If you want to know the hows of a thing, pay heed to the folks who do it <span style="font-style: italic">for fun</span>. Their reasons and methods are most likely to be the kinds you seek.

Greg

Try to see if your local club has practice days. If you don't want to compete just yet, thats the perfect place to learn a couple things, have people help you out, and get in the groove without the pressure(or sometimes fees) associated with matches.

Awesome. Thanks Greg/timelinex. I'll have to see when my local guys go out again. I appreciate the advice. That is actually something i hadn't considered. It makes perfect sense though.

Here is a great school for you to look into. I have attended it in the past.

Oregon Precision Firearms Training. The company is owned by a military sniper and a retired law enforcement officer. Outstanding and also affordable. I can't wait to go back!