• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FNG's 1st, But Not Last Post

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
Hello to All, my name is Joe. I've been surfing this site as a guest for 5-6 weeks before joining to research my recent purchase of a Savage Model 10-LEA2. I am recently fascinated with long-range precision shooting after my wife and I attended a 2 day "Sniper Introduction" course last November put on by MG Shooters at Big Sandy Az. NOT an expert on anything being discussed here (do have a nice German Luger and Broomhandle collection that I could share experiences with) so I'm more one to read the shared knowlege here than put mt $.02 in just to post. I WILL ask thoughtful questions when I need to however. That brings up this one that is worrying me. I bought my optics as an impulse buy (sold one of my better Lugers for NEW gun money) before I had a good idea of my real direction. I think I need more scope and need to sell this one to step up (go fron 1.8-10X to 3.8-22X). I intend to sell this locally in a FTF cash deal in the next couple of weeks. The scope is NIB and has NOT been mounted. It was a custom build early this year. What is a traditional benchmark for pricing something like this fairly for both parties? I was thinking of disoounting 10% below what I actually paid. Any insight about market stratedgy would be appreciated/ This is a high-end piece. Thaks in advance!! Joe

Re: FNG's 1st, But Not Last Post

Hi Joe. For a custom scope that normally has a wait associated with it, (sounds like USO from the magnification you are talking), 5-10% less if you're feeling generous. I'm usually willing to pay up to what to the buyer paid for if it is exactly what I want with no wait. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

That being said, 1.8-10x is plenty to get out to 1000 if that's what you intend. Of course, most like a little more magnification and you can't be faulted for that. What are the specs on the scope, if you don't mind my asking?

Hello Thomas, I guess I'm looking at what caliber I might "Graduate" into after the .308 (either .300 WM or .388 L). Talking about a SN-3 1.8-10X Slimline, ERGO parallax, EREK turret and #3 windage turret marked in.25 MOA, JNG MOA green illuminated reticle with 11 position rheostat, 30mm tube. The windage knob was re-located on the left side so all adjustments could be made with the off-hand to maintain cheek weld and position. Also got the 2"sunshade with the ARD and the logo lens caps. Thanks for responding. Joe

Personally I like 16-20x out to 1100+ yds or so. You can do more than that but at some point mirage is probably going to limit how much you can crank the power up. Occasionally I see the bullet flight through the scope and that is very cool. Definitely check the classifieds for scopes before buying new.

I'm thinking about doing just that, as I guess you can't have TOO MANY great scopes. Kinda the way I used to think about Lugers when I was buying them rather than Krugerrands. I was just thinking the 1.8-10X would have greater resale value if it WAS NIB and someone else could use it (and love it) more effectively than me. Thanx for the input.

From what I have seen with high end scopes is that use doesn't make too much difference. Wish it did I've been looking for either a USO or S&B for a while but they still seem to go for almost what they did new. Id use it for the time being (I use 10x all the time to 1K), and then you might want something different later (mil/mil, EREK, etc).

According to several people on this website who have done this: USO is apparently willing to take in their scopes as trade-ins towards a new scope with a good amount of original value back. I would recommend you contact John III by PM and let him know that you have a NIB SN3 that you would like to trade in towards something with higher mag.

Lots of "dead bad guys" shot with iron sights and lead bullets too. If you are after 2MOA or larger sized targets then 10x is perfect for medium range. If you want 1MOA or smaller than using the best tool for the job.

OP, I would use it till I knew what I wanted and buy it
wink.gif

No point being in the same position twice.

Sold the scope for more ($50) than what I paid, plus S&H & Ins. I did waive the PayPal fee (because he asked). I posted it 2 nights ago on www.perfectunion.com, this guy stated that this was the exact scope to a "T" that he would have ordered, but was put off by the 5-6 month wait. He seemed DAMN happy.

Good work
smile.gif

Now take some time to have a GOOD think about what you want and need. Try and look at a few scopes. Read what others are using for the type of shooting you will be doing but ignore the "fashion" statments that a LOT of guys like, just focus on facts, why something is used over it's used because it's popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of "dead bad guys" shot with iron sights and lead bullets too. If you are after 2MOA or larger sized targets then 10x is perfect for medium range. If you want 1MOA or smaller than using the best tool for the job.</div></div>

I guess I will have to go tell my whore of an ST-10 that he better open my groups up from .5 MOA to 2 MOA or I am going to replace him with irons...I had a lower quality variable before my USO and found myself hovering in the neighborhood of 10x during most of my shooting. There may be an SN-3 in my future, but to say a 10x is strictly tailored to 2 MOA targets you are sadly mistaken.

Josh

Correct, depending the retical subtention, you can quarter a 1 MOA dot with 8X an 10X is very easy. Lots of guys still use a 6 Oclock hold then add a 1/2 minute when shooting 1 MOA paper or steel, dots/targets