• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft FNG's Second Post

HugoStiglitz

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PHX AZ
Just finished reading that 7 page thread about bipod hop, bullet torque, etc... . I REALLY got alot from it, THANKS EVERYone that made that possible (especially tha guy who had that doll wiggling into her jeans, I had to scroll that up so I could concentrate). NOT at all experienced with long-range precision shooting Sooo, here goes. As a machinist I make little things that help make my life easier. I realize that consistency in every aspect once you grab that rifle is everything. Properly placing that rifle butt the same way each time is something that intrigues me. position affects it, clothing thickness (T-shirt,heavy jacket etc...) Why did the M-14 have that butt plate that swiviled up to rest on your shoulder?? Is that something I could incorporate to insure exact repeatability, or am I wasting my time. Seems like it would eliminate one more thing to think about under stress. Best Regards!! Joe

Re: FNG's Second Post

A target butt plate can be used to make the rifle fit into your shoulder better but:

1) If you adjust it to fit perfectly then it's only going to fit perfectly when you're shooting in the position it's adjusted for. This is fine if you're shooting a NRA match or F-class or something but not so useful at RO or ASC where you'll be in a different improvised position with every shot. It's like those grips with the little thumb shelfs and all the ergo swells. They're great until you need to shoot with the other hand.

2) They add weight to an already heavy rifle.

And...you have this hugely expensive rifle with this wonderful stock and roll over cheek piece that gives you a perfect cheek weld. But the target appears on the other side and you have to shoot off the other shoulder. Or something happens to your shooting eye and you HAVE to shoot other-eyed. You are SOL with that stock. Make sure your platforms are able to be operated by both hands or eyes. My experience. FNP

I've had the adjustable butt plate on rifles before, and the anly adjustments I get on the stocks anymore is an adjustable cheekpiece in some cases, and a spacer adjustment setup for LOP.

The M-14 Flip-up was an effort to help make it more controllable under full auto, which was essentially a disaster under any circumstances. Intended to replace the BAR as well as the M-1, it was too light and had too fast a rate of auto fire to be even marginally accurate under such service conditions. That was one of the issues that led to the M-14's short primary battle rifle service lifespan. It still lingers on, but not as a full-auto firearm.

Most, myself included, follow the advice of Rhys. My rifles are intended for F Class match applications and need no ambidex features. Weight, balance, and ergonomic fit are important and have some dependence on shooting poistion. Since mine are essentially all prone applications, adjustability is more an initial thing than an ongoing issue.

Greg

I understand Greg's position on non-ambidextrous stocks. But I have mine...sometimes you have to shoot off the opposite shoulder. Sometimes the target is too far to one side and your position won't let you turn far enough. Sometimes you lose the use of your normal shooting eye. Happened to me. Then, you have a bunch (or one) rifles that are of no good use unless restocked or altered. JMHO on that. By the way...if you have a hunting area that faces a limited field of view, and you are a bit in the open, being able to flip up that M14 flap to rest on the top of your should lets you keep comfortable much longer. FNP

Here's the thing. Don't go all "drugstore cowboy" on a rifle to be tacticool cause somebody else is using something. It's "YOUR" rifle and rig it to fit your needs. Try several things, invent new ones whatever but rig the rifle to what you are needing to do with it. (ie comps, hunt, impress people who don't know shit about it)

POINT OF THIS: Do what fits YOU and how you shoot. Nobody knows but you!