• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH 20" or 24"

KOOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2012
Michigan
I'm in the market for a FNH SPR A5M. I'm wondering what everyone would recommend 20" or 24". Does anyone have any experience with either? I will be sending ti to GA to have it bedded.

Re: FNH 20" or 24"

I've heard arguments from both camps on which is recommended. I had more than one shooter tell me they thought the 20" was more accurate due to a shorter barrel and having less "flex", and others who said the velocity loss going from a 24" to a 20" was too great, and thus for them, impacted negatively at longer ranges. I'd say it likely comes down to what you intend to shoot, and your own personal preferences. I've shot a 20" bolt gun out to 1000 yards, and while the drop was greater than that from a 24", it wasn't too much that I couldn't modify my scope settings to compensate. Sorry for basically a 'non-answer', but what you intend to shoot, and your personal preferences for weight, balance, and feel, will probably weigh heavily into your decision, IMO.

Depends more on you and your needs and "place" in life. At least to my mind. Is this your first bolt gun? Your first nice one? If so, I suggest getting a 24". It gives you more options...if you have those options. Also....if you decide to sell it, a 24 is more standard and might be easier to move.

As for the advantages, sure. A 20 would be sweet. But let's not forget something, ain't nothing light about an FN SPR rifle. I have carried my SPR A3 for miles and miles. 24" No biggie. I am used to it. 20" wouldn't have made much difference.

But if instead... you see a 20 that is a deal under your nose, grab it.

Regards,
Greyson

If you are reloading your own ammo you may be able to achieve similar velocities of factory loaded ammo by utilizing a different powder in a 20 inch barrel.

I would wait to see how it shoots before bedding, you may be surprised how accurate it is from the factory. My test target from FN measured. 240.

Kind regards,
Jared

My goal is to get to 1000 yards with eh smallest group possible. nothing else matters. weight etc.

What powder primer and bullet combos would you recommend? its comes with a 1-12 twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOOoutdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My goal is to get to 1000 yards with eh smallest group possible. nothing else matters. weight etc.

What powder primer and bullet combos would you recommend? its comes with a 1-12 twist </div></div>

Then get 24" and don't even consider a shorter one. Nothing else matters, right?

You can get a 308 out to 1000, but you'll be a very wind dependent. Are you wanting to work out to 1000 one day and want the options? Or are you mostly going out from 600-1000?

Reason I ask is, if your primary shooting is 1000, 308 is not the best round for that. BUT...it is the best round to learn on. IMO anyway.

Disclaimer: I am still learning. I am primarily a pistol shooter. I bought my SPR as a Precision Rifle. It was my first really nice rife. Still learning. Working up loads in the 168g range. Never had it beyond 400 so far. I also worked up hunting loads in 168 and whacked a few deer with it.

I will eventually work up some 175ish loads for longer range. But I am told I can get the 168s out pretty far.

What's my point? Assuming you are about a dumb as me (I am pretty dumb), your world is going to start at 100 yards. You aren't going to buy a 1000 yard rifle. Even if someone tells you this is a 1000 yard rifle, it ain't. It's the shooter, not the rifle.

Like I said...I'm pretty dumb. About a dumb as they come. I spent 5k in total and didn't buy skill.

Get the 24". Practice your 100 yard groups to get trigger time and confirm load data and trigger-control. And if you have access to the range, start to walk it out.

Regards,
Greyson

Both will do what you want so ask yourself what the 24 brings to the party that the 20 doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedDevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're nice rifles. I would go with the 24 inch. You can always cut it shorter if you decide to later on, but you can't make em longer. </div></div>

I thought it was advised not to cut down the barrel due to the chrome bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedDevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're nice rifles. I would go with the 24 inch. You can always cut it shorter if you decide to later on, but you can't make em longer. </div></div>

I thought it was advised not to cut down the barrel due to the chrome bore? </div></div>

If one wishes to keep the warranty in effect, don’t cut it down.

As for the 24 vs.20 Q, get the 24" if you primary goal is to shoot 1000 yards most of the time.

I have a 24" FN SPR and wish it was 20". While I do shoot to 1000 I spend most of my time between 500 and 600 yards as I am primarily a hunter and that is about as far as I am willing to stretch the 308 in the field with my hand loads made for the job. As has been said, the 308 sucks at 1000 yards with most bullet designs. That’s not to say it can’t do well in the hands of a knowledgeable shooter but it really is a 0-800 yard cartridge and does well inside that range.

I would shoot before the bedding as well. The a5m comes with skim bedding from the factory. It will likely have less than .5" test target as well. The one thing those rifles usually can benefit from is some trigger work. Either adjust the existing setup or do a drop in from someplace like Timney.

Barrel length (20 or 24) won't change much on weight and shouldn't have any effect on the spr accuracy. 20" would just be a little less cumbersome due to the shorter barrel. Resale is probably more geared toward 24 however. Either way those are great rifles. I have an a5 with a 24" tube and a Timney trigger. Best of luck with the purchase!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are reloading your own ammo you may be able to achieve similar velocities of factory loaded ammo by utilizing a different powder in a 20 inch barrel.

I would wait to see how it shoots before bedding, you may be surprised how accurate it is from the factory. My test target from FN measured. 240.

Kind regards,
Jared</div></div>

I just purchased the FN 24" fluted it comes bedded from the factory. I would not be so quick to send it out to be bedded again without shooting it. Mine shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 with the right loads.

First check with FN and see how another bedding will effect their warranty.