• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH FNAR Match

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Well I have been drooling over this rifle for a while but I can't find a price or really anything for that matter anywhere. Does anyone know if they are available, what the price is, and maybe a range report? Pics would be awesome as well!

Re: FNH FNAR Match

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this doesn't dissuade you from owning this worthless POS then you should most definitely buy one. Rube Goldberg eat your heart out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuznnkmy2k

</div></div>

No matter how many times I see that video...it still makes me CRINGE!!!
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so the take down is a little finiky...</div></div>

That's akin to saying "Ok so the Pope is a little Catholic..."

Here is a thread on the FNAR Match rifle (which to my understanding is still not actually available at this point in time), including some comments from Ben Voss (an FNUSA rep):

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2320401

From the sound of things...they will be available only in very limited numbers (due to the stocks and getting enough of them from McM). While I think they are great looking rifle and I am sure that they'll perform well if based on nothing more than the improve ergos in relation to the less-than-stellar base stock on the FNAR, you are still pretty limited in terms of what you can add/change/etc. with the rifles. The proprietary nature of rifles like the FNAR make them somewhat difficult to work with in terms of enhancements/upgrades/etc. and the options available direct from FN are extremely limited. Look, the FNAR platform seems to have decent enough results for some folks, but the simple fact of the matter is that you are giving up a considerable amount of flexibility, upgradability, etc. going with the FNAR over just about any other semi-auto .308/7.62 rifle on the market today based on FNs proprietary design, lack of aftermarket support, etc. Furthermore, the FNAR Match rifle's receiver actually had to undergo modification just to get it to work properly with the McM stock (making it a one-off of a one-off I suppose).

Frankly, if you want a semi-auto .308 rifle, you are far better off building on any of the AR-based platforms. Tons of modularity, tons of aftermarket support including all of the best components you could ever want, a plethora of options to fit your needs/wants from barrels to triggers to stocks to grips to handguards to, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe the reason FNAR is so hard to work on is IT AIN'T BROKE.Mine outshoots bolt guns and never fails to work.So if all you people with FNAR and RUGER MarkII or III think they suck send them to me. I can disamble/assamble them easy enough yet I seldom need to.They only upgrade either "need" is trigger work and thats easy and needed on most stock weapons. And by the way for you "Have to upgrade guys "KRYLON sticks to both just fine to suit your sence of "I gotta FIX this"
Scot

I can understand both sides of this arguement. is it possible/easy to get an aftermarket barrel for the FNAR? I know it is based on a pre 64 winchester action so I'm going to assume it will accept any pre 64 barrel.

You are confused the FNAR is based on the Browning short trac not the pre 64. Why would need a barrel the FNAR is available in standard,heavy barrel 16" or 20" And are moa or better from the factory.Thy will outshoot most factory bolt guns and run with any other semi. Why fix whats not broke. I know alot of weapons that shoot way better than their operators yet people spend thousands of dollars "fixing"them I have seen box stock weapons outshoot high dollar customs all day long .And have seen $3000 dollar 1911 crap out in the middle of a comp where stock stuff kept chugging along.Some of the fancy add-on crap out there says "not for duty or tactical use" ever wonder why?Take your GLOCK back to the factory for service and you get all after market parts back in a bag.If you need to throw money at your weapon to make it shoot better try doing so in the form of AMMO and range time.
Scot

+1 Scot. I don't have a FNAR, but I do have a BAR that I have hunted with for around 15 years. I had a trigger job done by a retired Browning guy about 14 years ago; and this spring, being very aware of my mechanical aptitude, or lack thereof, I retained a competent gunsmith to take the thing apart and clean it thoroughly on the inside It has been out in all weather and killed a couple of ton of deer and the only add-ons were a scope and a sling. It's not a 1000 yd. sniper rifle but it does a lot better than MOA. Just sayin... Just don't ask how much aftermarket stuff I have bought for my LMT MWS. It's more fun, but not a bit more deadly.

I have shot them. (FNAR mot the "Match")

If you like it rock on. I don't find the weapon comfortable and I don't like the ergonomics. For a little more cash you can get into a .308 AR platform.

Another Sniper on my team had the exact opposite conclusion when we demoed it and he considered purchasing one for himself.

If you like to "upgrade" your rifles, it's probably not a good choice. If you just want to slap a scope on it and drive on, then it's probably an OK choice.

I would definitely suggest shooting one first, or at least trying to pick one up used so you can offload it without taking a hit if you decide it's not for you.

Yeah, sorry about the pre 64 thing, I was thinking of their bolt action rifles. Well, I do like being able to customize my gun, so hm............... can you get an ar 10 to shoot 3/4 moa? if so what parts would you need?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">............... can you get an ar 10 to shoot 3/4 moa? if so what parts would you need? </div></div>

Match barrel and bolt. Then someone who knows how to screw it together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Match barrel and bolt. Then someone who knows how to screw it together. </div></div>

And a good trigger. And perhaps most importantly...shooter that knows what he/she is doing!!!

There are factory AR-platform rifles that will achieve around that level of accuracy with proper ammo, shooter, etc. For example (and not limited to these two examples), my POF P-308 20" with my handloads and with match factory ammo will get right around .75MOA. Additionally, the Armalite AR-10T rifles/carbines are all guaranteed to achieve MOA accuracy and I have yet to shoot one that wouldn't do better than that (including getting to the .75 MOA range). To take it even a step further, the new GAP-10 offering from GA Precision is achieving accuracy from reports I have seen that will rival most custom-built bolt guns I have shot, including regularly producing 1/2MOA and smaller groups.

Well if I get an AR 10, I think I am going to go with a Rock River Mid length, then I get the nice 2 stage trigger. What would a decent barrel for an AR cost? What length and brand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If this doesn't dissuade you from owning this worthless POS then you should most definitely buy one. Rube Goldberg eat your heart out:

</div></div>
That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
I don't think they could make that more complicated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, sorry about the pre 64 thing, I was thinking of their bolt action rifles. Well, I do like being able to customize my gun, so hm............... can you get an ar 10 to shoot 3/4 moa? if so what parts would you need? </div></div>

My DPMS SASS shoots much better than 3/4 moa and it is bone stock. Also, shoot a JP and it shoots 3/4 all day long

</div></div>

That really makes you appreciate the Stoner platform, or the Garand platform, or the AK platform, or the .....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any reason given? </div></div>

Nope

That,,,sucks. fondled it @ SHOT and was definately on my want list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spoke with FNH USA yesterday - the FNAR Match has been cancelled. </div></div>

I'm sure it was a combination of things, most likely directly tied to: 1) cost vs. profit margin at the end of the day; 2) EXTREMELY limited production due to the necessity of a) modifiying the receiver on this model to work properly with the stock, b) having to bed the stock near the gas block, c) having to modify the bolt stop, d) other mods from the basic production version to this offering making it time consuming, inefficient and costly; 3) McM being the ONLY sourcing for stocks and being at their mercy for production of these limited models (and again...the cost of having McM tool up R&D, adjusting/modifying molds to achieve a final production model, and ultimately for production in enough numbers to make the project cost effective (McM already said repeatedly that this was such a laborious endeavor and required so much modification to the rifles themselves that their stocks would NOT be available to the general public...only through the limited rifles offered by FNHUSA; etc.

I'm not surprised nor am I terribly worried about it since there are already plenty of other platforms on the market that will achieve what the FNAR Match set out to do and MUCH more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What FNH needs to do is offer a traditional BAR style stock option </div></div>

You can order the browning bar stock and it does fit the FNAR.