• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH SCAR 17S Optic For NV

AK74U

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Atlanta
Looking to upgrade my current optic Trijicon ACOG .308 3.5x Green Chevron. I recently purchased a PVS-27 and looking for something to utilize this clip-on on my SCAR 17S. Any advice works. Also, will a PEQ-15/DBAL be needed or can I just get by on IR Illumination only?

The Scar kicks like a cannon and is rough on optics and even optic mounts. Not NV friendly, either. ACOG, Elcan, Nightforce are all good choices for scopes. This is a gun that can appreciate Spuhr or other extreme mounts as well.

Reactions: AK74U
I know this is a bit old but my suggestion (and what I run) is to run a peq15 and an offset/upper red dot. This allows you you actively and passively aim with NV and will actually be a lighter setup. For a dedicated clip on 308 I’d lean more towards the AR10 platform as they seem to be a bit more accurate than the SCAR 17 anyway. I also mount my peq on the meet rail all the way forward to avoid some of the vibration on the SCAR chassis itself especially near the bolt. Not sure if this helps anything or not but in my engineering brain it made at least a little sense. Hope this helps.

Reactions: AK74U
Personally I would not use Nv on a scar. Risky business. They are known to chew up even tough optics.
Hard on optics, agreed, but high-quality units rarely have recoil impulse-related issues.

Not NV, but I hunt with a Trijicon REAP-IR on mine and it's fine.

Hard on optics, agreed, but high-quality units rarely have recoil impulse-related issues.

Not NV, but I hunt with a Trijicon REAP-IR on mine and it's fine.
NV in particular is known to have issues with recoil. Special designs are taken into consideration for units that go on high caliber rifles. I’m not saying you can’t find a NV unit that will hold up to a scar 17, but for me I’d find another weapon platform to use NV with.

Reactions: BurtG
NV in particular is known to have issues with recoil. Special designs are taken into consideration for units that go on high caliber rifles. I’m not saying you can’t find a NV unit that will hold up to a scar 17, but for me I’d find another weapon platform to use NV with.
But, but, but, I wanna be like the operators

• Haha
Reactions: generalzip